Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 08:18 PM

3 posts, read 2,903 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have found the Indian Land School greatschools.org rating to be 7 compared to Fort Mill schools 10 rating.

For those of you who have little one attending indian land elementary school (ILES), have you noticed your children are suffering academically?

My son is coming from a private school background and is in the top 2% of his class...Just wondering if the decision to buy a home that zones to ILEM will adversely impact him.

Please advise...
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 06:48 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,305,824 times
The greatschools algorithm recently changed and adversely affected some schools. While IL schools were not rated as high as FM, they were still a bit higher than the 7 they reflect now.

Having said that, IL schools are improving year over year and have made great strides since I moved here in 2006. I would have no problem putting my kids in IL schools if I was just now moving here.

I would say your child will be fine, and it's likely he'll qualify for the gift/talented program once he reaches the 3rd grade, if the education he is getting now is equitable (there's no telling if his private school is better than IL schools since I don't know where you are from (for example, I went to a private school in my childhood and when I moved to another state and switched to public schools I was DREADFULLY behind and struggled quite a bit - private school does not always equal better)).

Old 03-22-2018, 10:17 AM

73 posts, read 91,836 times
I have 2 daughters, one in Indian Land Elementary (kindergarten) and one attending the high school (freshman). We have been very happy with the quality of the teachers, programs, facilities, and academic offerings. There is a new elementary school opening next year which will have a very positive impact on school class size. Additionally, take a look at:

https://www.niche.com/k12/indian-lan...ndian-land-sc/

I've found niche does a nice job breaking out the different factors in their rankings and based on the above mentioned algorithmic changes in greatschools, I like looking and recommending both.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:05 PM

73 posts, read 85,977 times
Be prepared for trailers. We also had our child in a private school up north. Decided to give public a try, didn’t pan out. We decided to go back to private after a year.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:45 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,432,152 times
I'm interested in the new Bent Creek sub. Any information? Schools? Surrounding area?

Old 05-31-2018, 10:23 AM

22 posts, read 24,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkotrides View Post
I have 2 daughters, one in Indian Land Elementary (kindergarten) and one attending the high school (freshman). We have been very happy with the quality of the teachers, programs, facilities, and academic offerings. There is a new elementary school opening next year which will have a very positive impact on school class size. Additionally, take a look at:

https://www.niche.com/k12/indian-lan...ndian-land-sc/

I've found niche does a nice job breaking out the different factors in their rankings and based on the above mentioned algorithmic changes in greatschools, I like looking and recommending both.
I've just started looking into IL. What hs is your daughter attending? Are there plenty of elective choices?

Side question: How's the shopping there? Grocery and retail. Is it a rural area? tia

Old 05-31-2018, 10:31 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,305,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxifornia Tosh View Post
Side question: How's the shopping there? Grocery and retail. Is it a rural area? tia
IL is very close to Ballantyne/Pineville which has plenty of grocery and retail. And IL is starting to grow in that way as well. It used to be VERY rural but in the past 10-15 years has experienced tremendous growth.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:45 PM

31 posts, read 47,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxifornia Tosh View Post
I've just started looking into IL. What hs is your daughter attending? Are there plenty of elective choices?

Lower Indian Land is more rural than northern, but neither are "Rural"

There's a ton of shopping centers going up, mostly on/around Highway 521.

As far as grocery shopping, you have:

Harris Teeter (Slightly more upscale than some)
Publix (Average grocery chain)
Food Lion (Lower than average, but fine)
Aldi (Saves you a ton of money on staple foods, but few name brands)
Lidl (See above, but with a bakery)
Walmart Supercenter (Should not need an explanation)
Sprouts (Similar-ish to Wholefoods)

You have a Costco and BJ's Wholesale within about 20ish min, depending on where you are, exactly.

Retail, there's stuff going up all the time. I wish there was a Kohls or Target coming in, but there's going to be lots and lots of stuff in a <30 min drive, either into Ballantyne, as suggested, or into Rock Hill. WAY too much to list.

Anything in particular you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties