Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 05:47 AM

49 posts, read 64,342 times

Advertisements

i!
My boyfriend and I are considering relocating to SC possible in the fall. We currently live in Vermont and are ready for a change, as well as a lower cost of living and more mild temps year round. We are in our mid-upper 20s and are an active couple. We are hoping for a small(ish) town or city, definitely not directly in a downtown area or large city. We have read a lot about the Rock hill area but would love to hear more information. Are there restaurants and shops nearby? How is the renting scene (we hope to stay below $1100)? Are there nature trails or lakes nearby? Is it a relatively family friendly or quiet area? Is it close enough to everything; Whole Foods, gyms, shops, restaurants? If not is there another area that might fit our needs?
We have visited the Charleston area before and loved it, however it was a little too cityish for my partner.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/colum...#ixzz5ANoGoGN1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 07:24 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,295,089 times
Rock Hill has a population of about 80K, so I don't know if I'd call that a small town (although compared to Charleston it is, but it's not nearly as charming). But it does have plenty of restaurants and shopping.

I think you should consider Clover near Lake Wylie. It's definitely smaller and not directly in a downtown area, BUT it has great proximity to Charlotte, NC for those times when you want to hit "the big city." It's also close to Kings Mountain, Crowders Mountain (for hiking and nature). You would definitely be able to find rentals around $1100 - even single family homes.

Bear in mind SC does not have "mild temps year round" unless you consider hitting the 30s with ice storms in the winter and the 100s with 99% humidity in the summer to be mild temps.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:08 AM

73 posts, read 91,641 times
Coming from Rochester and Buffalo, NY...SC absolutely has mild temps year round. LOL

All depends on your perspective :-)

Old 04-15-2018, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 3,614 times
I agree. Originally from Buffalo, N.Y.. Live in Lakewood, WA close to Seattle. We are being priced out of rentals and houses.
We are looking for something in York County. My husband is from Horry County. We are looking for a property with possible an acre, fireplace, and fenced yarx5. 3 b.s. 2 baths.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:48 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,516,076 times
If you consider mild to be 95 and humidity as thick as butter in the summer...

Old 04-16-2018, 12:05 PM

197 posts, read 278,399 times
There are plenty of restaurants but no whole foods... there is earthfare, walmart, target, food lion, lidl, aldi, harris teeter

Tons of gyms too

Plenty of parks and trails around

Old 04-30-2018, 03:54 PM

24 posts, read 42,606 times
We moved from Maryland to SC 10 years ago. Decided on Greenville. If you haven't committed yet, I highly recommend checking out Greenville. It's a happening place. And growing.

Also very cool, Asheville, NC, just up the road. If you like mountains. And a music scene...

Rock Hill is nice, don't get me wrong. But in many ways it seems like a suburb of Charlotte. If you get a job in Charlotte, it makes sense...

Old 05-16-2018, 05:09 PM

139 posts, read 360,047 times
If you're set on the Charlotte area, then yes, check out Rock Hill. The downtown is adorable and not too intimidating; they have tons of community events, two colleges, lots of restaurants and parks. The mall is going downhill but that's common in general. I would avoid Clover; sorry, but I've experienced too much "y'all ain't from around here, are ya?" treatment (I'm originally from the northeast as well, obviously not a native southern).

And YES if you're not set on Charlotte, Greenville is lovely lovely lovely and there are lots of smaller surrounding towns with affordable housing, Mauldin (sp?) or Simpsonville, and the Spartanburg area is coming up nicely, too. Lots of choices, this is a great site to do your research on and get feedback. Good luck to you, and congratulations on making a plan to escape those winters!! Yes, summer is thick and rich down here, but it's better than snow, snow, and more snow all winter long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties