Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-13-2018, 09:44 AM
 
16 posts, read 14,745 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hello,

Moving down to Fort Mill, and considering buying a house near Gold Hill road. How is this area?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2018, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Over yonder a piece
4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
Reputation: 7154
Normal commuting times can be rough, but managed if you can flex your hours to non-traditional (i.e., if I leave by 7 a.m. it's not bad - anything after 7 a.m. and it'll take you 10+ minutes just to get to 77).

Schools are good, neighborhoods are good, people are good.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 10:01 AM
 
16 posts, read 14,745 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Normal commuting times can be rough, but managed if you can flex your hours to non-traditional (i.e., if I leave by 7 a.m. it's not bad - anything after 7 a.m. and it'll take you 10+ minutes just to get to 77).

Schools are good, neighborhoods are good, people are good.
Awesome thanks,

I was worried about the traffic pattern there.
But the neighborhood seems good
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Over yonder a piece
4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
Reputation: 7154
I will add that the Gold Hill/77 interchange is slated to undergo a complete overhaul in the next couple years that will result in HORRIFIC traffic for the 1-2 years it takes to do it. But once done, the double diamond plan looks as though it will successful in moving traffic through that corridor much more quickly.

Fort Mill I-77 interchange redesign first of its kind in SC | Charlotte Observer

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/ne...ters/625475530

I don't recall the exact start date of construction, and as I said, it'll be a nightmare while it occurs, but once done it should be good. Fortunately, that area has PLENTY of different ways one can take to get where they need to go.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2018, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Shakedown Street
1,452 posts, read 2,993,530 times
Reputation: 1199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I will add that the Gold Hill/77 interchange is slated to undergo a complete overhaul in the next couple years that will result in HORRIFIC traffic for the 1-2 years it takes to do it. But once done, the double diamond plan looks as though it will successful in moving traffic through that corridor much more quickly.

I don't recall the exact start date of construction, and as I said, it'll be a nightmare while it occurs, but once done it should be good. Fortunately, that area has PLENTY of different ways one can take to get where they need to go.
I disagree. Traffic turning left from GH onto 77 is already backed up on the ramp to the light on some days. That diamond will do absolutely nothing to fix the problem if the freeway traffic isn’t fixed first.
I would highly advise anyone to avoid Fort Mill at all costs until the infrastructure catches up with the housing - which might happen in 10 years or so.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2018, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Over yonder a piece
4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
Reputation: 7154
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I disagree. Traffic turning left from GH onto 77 is already backed up on the ramp to the light on some days. That diamond will do absolutely nothing to fix the problem if the freeway traffic isn’t fixed first.
I would highly advise anyone to avoid Fort Mill at all costs until the infrastructure catches up with the housing - which might happen in 10 years or so.
It's true that occasionally traffic backs up on the ramp, but not all the time, and not at all hours. Only at the height of rush hour traffic.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2018, 03:30 PM
 
625 posts, read 489,631 times
Reputation: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I would highly advise anyone to avoid Fort Mill at all costs until the infrastructure catches up with the housing - which might happen in 10 years or so.
That's quite the statement!

We live in Fort Mill and it takes me all of 15 minutes to get to work. My husband takes about 10.
It all depends on where you live and where you work. We live in the NE corner of Fort Mill, near Pineville and Indian Land. I work in Ballantyne, he works for a company in Fort Mill off of 51.

Do your homework regarding the commute and you'll be fine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2018, 05:53 AM
 
Location: Over yonder a piece
4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
Reputation: 7154
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCoqui View Post
That's quite the statement!

We live in Fort Mill and it takes me all of 15 minutes to get to work. My husband takes about 10.
It all depends on where you live and where you work. We live in the NE corner of Fort Mill, near Pineville and Indian Land. I work in Ballantyne, he works for a company in Fort Mill off of 51.

Do your homework regarding the commute and you'll be fine.
I agree that it depends on where you live in Fort Mill, but admittedly this thread is specifically about Gold Hill Road, which does experience significant backups during peak times. =)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2018, 09:08 AM
 
625 posts, read 489,631 times
Reputation: 532
Then the poster should have said "I would highly recommend avoiding the Gold Hill Road area at all costs" and not a general blanket statement about all of Fort Mill.

When we looked at the area we chose to avoid West of 77 because of traffic in that area. Where we are, traffic builds up at rush hour but nothing that I'd consider out of the ordinary for any area. 160 right at 77 is a nightmare most of the day and on weekends and 460 at 77 is the same between 4 and 6 PM. But, depending where you live in FM, you can avoid 77 almost entirely to go to Charlotte or Rock Hill -- we do.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2018, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Over yonder a piece
4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
Reputation: 7154
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCoqui View Post
Then the poster should have said "I would highly recommend avoiding the Gold Hill Road area at all costs" and not a general blanket statement about all of Fort Mill.
Agreed.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top