Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 03:58 PM

34 posts, read 33,050 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I’m moving from NY to Fort Mill area at the end of this month and was just wondering if anyone can help me out by filling me in on all the DMV fees (transferring license and title, registering car and car property tax) I have a 2015 black Dodge Journey which is valued at about $8,000 right now. Just curious as to how much approx I’m gonna have to pay to get everything transferred over on my car. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 04:38 PM

31 posts, read 47,733 times
You can actually call the tax office in the county and give them the VIN on your car and get a much closer estimate than I can give you. I'm over in Indian Land, and the Lancaster tax office told me right over the phone.

Now, that being said, that's property tax. You have to pay a 1 time tax that I view as a "Putting it on the road" tax and that's ~$250/vehicle.

If your truck has exceptionally high mileage, you can probably get the county tax lowered.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark54g View Post
You can actually call the tax office in the county and give them the VIN on your car and get a much closer estimate than I can give you. I'm over in Indian Land, and the Lancaster tax office told me right over the phone.

Now, that being said, that's property tax. You have to pay a 1 time tax that I view as a "Putting it on the road" tax and that's ~$250/vehicle.

If your truck has exceptionally high mileage, you can probably get the county tax lowered.
Thanks! That was a big help. I gave them a call and the DMV as well and found out all the fees. Do you have any idea where the closest location is that I can pay the car property taxes at? Thanks so much

Old 06-06-2018, 09:49 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
You have to pay the property taxes at the tax office in Rock Hill.

1070 Heckle Blvd # 101, Rock Hill, SC 29732

Usually not a long wait if you go in the morning - when I went there recently I only waited 5 minutes.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:28 AM

31 posts, read 47,733 times
It depends on if you are going to be in Lancaster County or York County.

Is the new address in "Fort Mill Proper" or in "Indian Land" which sometimes gets called Fort Mill?

Old 06-07-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
You have to pay the property taxes at the tax office in Rock Hill.

1070 Heckle Blvd # 101, Rock Hill, SC 29732

Usually not a long wait if you go in the morning - when I went there recently I only waited 5 minutes.
Great thanks! 🙂

Old 06-07-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark54g View Post
It depends on if you are going to be in Lancaster County or York County.

Is the new address in "Fort Mill Proper" or in "Indian Land" which sometimes gets called Fort Mill?

Nah I’ll be in Fort Mill. I’ll be pretty close to Springfield Elementary.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:29 PM

113 posts, read 127,778 times
"Transferring Registration to South Carolina

Beginning July 1, 2017, people who move to South Carolina with a vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer, or other automobile that needs to be registered in SC will owe a $250 Infrastructure Maintenance Fee (IMF), in addition to applicable title and registration fees and property taxes, per item that needs to be registered in this state.

For example, if you move to SC from Georgia with a vehicle that was previously registered in Georgia, when you register that vehicle with the SCDMV, you will owe the IMF, applicable title and registration fees, and property taxes. You pay your property taxes to your county treasurer. You must bring your original paid property tax receipt when you visit the SCDMV".

Depending the the value of your car, your upfront fee's could well be over $1,000. Welcome to SC !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties