Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 12:59 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,974,480 times

Advertisements

We have received two mailings from the SC Community Alliance a program of the SC Association of Realtors regarding home tax (really impact fees) but they keep referring to it as home tax.

This subject has been tossed around by the towns in York County and the York County Council. The brochure says up to a $19,000 tax on new home construction. We have discussed impact fees here. The builder pays the impact fees and we all know it will be passed on to the cost of the home. This would only affect new home construction not a fee on existing homes.

I just wonder on this mailing where they arrived at the following; 28,000 families will be priced out of the market if this home tax (again really impact fee) goes into effect.

Impact fees associated with growth include maintaining existing roads and building new ones, police and fire protection services and public education.

https://www.stoptheyorkcountyhometax.com/

Fort Mill SC school impact fee debate intensifies | The Herald
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 08:02 AM

186 posts, read 335,526 times
I had a nice long reply typed out and it got wiped out when I hit post.

The short answer is that it nothing but fear mongering on the builders/realtors part to scare people into not supporting the impact fee increase; by making people think that this will be a tax increase that they will end up paying. Even though this is not a tax increase; and the fee is only on new homes being built and not on existing home sales.

Psy

Old 06-25-2018, 08:15 AM

625 posts, read 490,067 times
I have Realtor neighbors that are FOR the increased impact fee. They know that it's necessary to keep the area maintained and schools properly funded to address the growth.

Even if the builders pass the increased fee onto homeowners (which they will) when you spread 19K through the life of a 20 - 30 year mortgage the cost is negligible.

The only people that are against the fee are the large builders whose owners and corporate offices are outside of the area and only care about how much profit they can squeeze out of every home. They're afraid the increased sale price that they'll have to tag on to homes will decrease their sales.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:21 AM

625 posts, read 490,067 times
I did a quick search and the info is that those behind: SC Community Alliance are businesses from NC. They have no interest in the community except for the $$$.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:00 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,304,205 times
Those mailings aggravate me so much! Even worse, I see people on FB touting the same misinformation about residents of YC having to pay higher taxes, but leaving out the detail that CURRENT residents won't pay - the BUYERS OF NEW HOMES BEING BUILT will have to pay - but as CarolinaWoman stated, it will be absorbed into the price of the home.

I plan on attending the council meeting next Wednesday so that I can represent those of us who know better and want a higher impact fee (>$10K) implemented versus the paltry ~$5K that the planning commission recommended based on the old 1996 survey rather than the new one recently submitted.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:03 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,974,480 times
The mailings are expensive and really misleading. The 28,000 families, bless their hearts, need to go ahead and buy their home prior to the impact fee increase. I sincerely hope people receiving this propaganda realize it is not a tax increase on their homes. The roads and schools really need the money.

Girl let us know how things go at the meeting. I agree with you $5K is not enough with the growth in Fort Mill. You need to contact Michael Johnson too.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Girl let us know how things go at the meeting. I agree with you $5K is not enough with the growth in Fort Mill. You need to contact Michael Johnson too.
I emailed the entire council at some point, as did my husband and many of my friends and neighbors.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:08 PM

Just got this email reminder from FMSD:

Hello Fort Mill Parents and Staff,

This is Chief Communication Officer Joe Burke, I am emailing you with a reminder about the York County Council Public Hearing regarding the implementation of a new impact fee being held tomorrow, Wednesday June 27, starting at 6 p.m. at the McCelvey Center in York. As you may know our district is currently petitioning the York County Council for an increase in the impact fee charged on new home construction in our area. An impact fee is a fee imposed by a local government on new development and is collected on new construction only. It is designed for new development to help pay for the higher cost associated with the expansion of the community, such as the need for new schools to accommodate new students, essentially allowing “growth to pay for growth.”

The impact fee study recently completed by the district stated the actual impact of a new home to be approximately $18,000 and new multi-family units to be approximately $12,000, however the council is currently considering an impact fee of just $5,038, based on a 1996 impact fee study.

We ask that our parents, community members, business owners and staff join us at the McCelvey Center tomorrow to show your support for the implementation of a new impact fee in line with the information stated in the recent impact fee study completed by the district.

If you have a school or school district shirt please wear it to help show the large amount of support we have for this topic. Also stop by the “I Support Fort Mill” table to receive important information about speaking during the public hearing and to pick up an “I Support the Fort Mill School District” banner.

If you would like to learn more about the impact fee history and how this could impact our district or if you are unable to attend the meeting and would like to email your comments to the county council, please visit the Impact Fee 101 page on the district website or by clicking here. The McCelvey Center is located at 212 E Jefferson St # A, York, SC 29745.

Thank you for always supporting our district, and we look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Joe Burke
Chief Communications Officer
Fort Mill School District

Old 06-26-2018, 08:04 PM

615 posts, read 539,388 times
I think those of you that live in York County should be very much opposed to impact fees. Having lived in Charlotte for decades, I can tell you this these discussions have come up periodically. Sometimes it is impact fees and sometimes as a commuter tax for those commuting into Mecklenburg from outlying counties. I will say that Charlotte has always avoided these types of taxes. It is hard to argue with the sustained growth that Charlotte and Mecklenburg have maintained over the years. The same can be said for Atlanta and Fulton County. Charlotte’s position has always been that these fees can push builders out further beyond York County into Chester or over to Lancaster. It only makes sense. A builder may have more difficulty selling a home with an additional $20k added to it. So he may choose to build elsewhere. York County is the second fastest growing country in the Charlotte metro and it is the fifth or sixth fastest growing in all of SC. But decisions such as these can have a very negative impact.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
I think those of you that live in York County should be very much opposed to impact fees. Having lived in Charlotte for decades, I can tell you this these discussions have come up periodically. Sometimes it is impact fees and sometimes as a commuter tax for those commuting into Mecklenburg from outlying counties. I will say that Charlotte has always avoided these types of taxes. It is hard to argue with the sustained growth that Charlotte and Mecklenburg have maintained over the years. The same can be said for Atlanta and Fulton County. Charlotte’s position has always been that these fees can push builders out further beyond York County into Chester or over to Lancaster. It only makes sense. A builder may have more difficulty selling a home with an additional $20k added to it. So he may choose to build elsewhere. York County is the second fastest growing country in the Charlotte metro and it is the fifth or sixth fastest growing in all of SC. But decisions such as these can have a very negative impact.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, The QC.

It's BECAUSE York County is the fastest growing (not 2nd fastest: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...206961529.html) county in the Charlotte area that we NEED the impact fees to be more reasonable based on the overwhelming growth. When the recommendation is $18K and the planning commission recommends $5K, that's not reasonable. $5K won't cover schools, infrastructure, roads, public services, etc.

And so what will happen? They'll continue to raise property taxes. Mine have already doubled in the 12 years we've lived here. I'm not looking to have them double again just because builders of all these homes and apartment complexes are not willing to help pay for the growth they are creating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties