Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 03:09 PM

15,715 posts, read 9,578,204 times

Advertisements

WBT Radio out of Charlotte is reporting pm a story the Charleston Post & Courier broke that the Carolina Panthers might be moving to Fort Mill.
Quote:
The Carolina Panthers plan to build a team headquarters and practice facility in York County just over the state line from its Charlotte stadium, giving South Carolina a bigger role in the region’s only pro football franchise.
They want to move the headquarters and practice facility to Fort Mill where the original Charlotte Hornets used to have their training facility. and also where the Charlotte Hornets used to play at the "baseball exit." They want to also build condos and eating places et there, too.

BT noted the land was big enough to buld a football stadium, too. Also, a ligt rail extension into York County seems to be in the mix.

Carolina Panthers plan to build team HQ, practice facility in SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 07:14 AM

625 posts, read 492,936 times
Normally I would say no because of the traffic nightmare this would create. But, if they're willing to foot the bill to extend the light rail from Charlotte to Fort Mill and get it done quickly (not 10 - 20 years down the road), then I'd be all for it!

Old 12-13-2018, 07:43 PM

113 posts, read 128,431 times
As poorly as they've been playing this year, I might suggest a move to Wisconsin or Idaho.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:53 PM

615 posts, read 544,703 times
I think this is just a plan to relocate the practice facility. The Panthers since their beginning have held training camp at Furman University in Spartanburg. Furman was the previous owner’s alma mater.

The new owner has no allegiance to Furman. But he likes the concept of S.C. sharing the Panthers. But this training facility in York County would also replace their practice facility near BOA Stadium in uptown CLT. Tepper,the new owner, plans to develop the land now used for training near the stadium.

But York County will be asked to share in the cost of this development. This practice facility would consolidate their training camp facility and their practice facility during the season into one facility. Tepper wants an in door practice facility there as well as outdoor fields. There are no plans to relocate BOA Stadium from uptown CLT. But it has been rumored that the Panthers will ask the city of CLT for more money to continue doing upgrades to BOA. Numerous upgrades have already been done to the stadium in recent years.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:59 PM

Someone suggesting a move is I suppose is an attempt at sarcasm. Anyone that follows the NFL knows that the league is designed to be balanced. That it is. Most teams just like the Panthers have up and down years. It is good the Panthers actually have some really special years occasionally. Not all teams can say that.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:05 PM

If this practice facility is built then it is just for practice and no games. But the team’s offices would be there. I am not exactly sure why a practice facility would generate interest in extension of the Lynx blue line. But if the line were extended then I think that would be great for York County. I hope it would be extended to the mall and to downtown. That could be the impetus to create a special downtown. It would also be great to offset the congestion of I77. So whether the practice facility comes to York County or not, the blue line should be expanded in the future.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:17 PM

15,715 posts, read 9,578,204 times
Just to clarify, the previous owner was an alum of Wofford. I believe next year is the last year the Panthers are obligated to do training camp in Spartanburg. WBT mentioned the site in York is big enough to accommodate a stadium. It's pretty well known that the new owner has been talking about a new stadium. Even though the current one is not old, with new ones popping up like the Cowboys stadium, it is a bit antiquated now. And like you said, it doesn't make a lot of sense to extend the light rail down to a practice facility or, for that matter, to have the headquarters away from the stadium.

I don't know if they win another game this year. Maybe Atlanta and if New Orleans doesn't have anything to play for that last game (not tis coming Monday) maybe the Panthers win. For whatever reason, the Panthers can't have two winning seasons in a row. I'm interested to see if the new owner brings in his own guys to coach next year.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:34 PM

But for the line to be extended York County would have to agree to an additional half cent sales tax. This would help to pay for the construction and operation of the line. York and other counties must start thinking soon about measures to prevent more sprawl and traffic congestion.

Redirecting growth and creating density along the blue line would help with that. CLT and the area does not want to end up with the congestion of ATL so it must begin to take steps to prevent it. The CLT metro will be 5 million in approximately 40 years. That is the size of metro Boston today. It is also the population of the state of S.C. today.

ATL began to experience its serious traffic congestion as it approached 5 million. In the mid 1980s, the ATL metro population was about the same as metro CLT today... 2.5 million.

As residents of York County, what is your desire and plan? Do you want I77 to be 12 lanes in 20 years? Do you want serious traffic issues? Do you want a 1 to 1.5 hour commute everyday to uptown CLT? Now is the time to be thinking of these issues and telling your local politicians your desires.

Of course another option may be another freeway in western York County to southwest CLT to I 485. This could take some of the pressure off I 77. But getting funding and construction for a new freeway can take decades.

My message is that if you leave it up to the politicians then you will be sitting in major traffic before the thought wheels even begin to turn regarding a solution. The ball is in the court of you the citizens. The next move should be yours.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:37 PM

Yes my mistake . It was Wofford. Thanks for correcting me.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:44 PM

They have had an off year, and you are right they can’t seem to having two winning seasons in a row. But Tepper has ties to Pittsburgh and the Steelers have typically been patient. I think Tepper has said that he would want to use the style the Steelers use. In all fairness, the Panthers have new offensive and defensive coordinators this year along with other new coaches. And they recently fired two assistants. Rivera has been a good coach. I would be surprised if his job is in jeopardy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties