U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 08:38 AM

24 posts, read 73,902 times

Advertisements

Need help! My husband is being transferred to the Catawba Nuclear Site on Lake Wylie. We were wondering where the best place to live would be. We need to consider the fact that we have 2 children. One is an infant and the other is a highly gifted K-5. We want a great community for children that is affordable. We want a school that will accomodate our son's gifted needs. Our house price range is $225,000-$300,000. Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 09:30 AM

622 posts, read 1,687,257 times
Both the Clover and Fort Mill schools are highly rated and both school districts are convenient to the Catawba site. As the site is located midway between the town of Lake Wylie and Rock Hill, you will have an extensive choice of housing in your price range. It is difficult for us on the board to recommend specific communities as the choices are numerous (both new communities and resale). If you could provide the ammenities you would like in the community and what other areas of interest you have, I am sure that myself and the other board members can answer a lot of your questions.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:36 AM

The area I currently live in (Clemson SC) has many parks & a great "town" feel. I don't sense that you have that type of set up there. It more one great suburb with the neighborhood you choose as your main form of community interaction. Am I right? If that is the case, then I definitely want a pool & playground, large group play areas (basketball courts), side walks, places where kids can ride bikes freely, not too close to a highway and not too far though either, no power lines running right through the neighborhood, lots of trees, houses that are not on postage stamps, etc. Does that give a good guide. Big part is the school too!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:47 AM

The information you gave will help us tremendously in making suggestions. If you could also give us an acceptable commute time that will also help. The good thing is that commuting to the plant will be a revrse commute and traffic will not be an issue.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:51 AM

Good thinking! 20 minutes or so.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:18 AM

23 posts, read 51,414 times
I would certainly look in Lake Wylie, which would be a 10-15 minute commute. The Clover district schools are great. Crowders Creek Elementary is on SC 274, about 10 minutes north from the plant. Just as a starting point, there is a very nice looking development right across the street from the school.

It's quiet on this side of the lake, but still pretty easy access to Charlotte in the off-peak hours.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:45 AM

Default Lake Wylie info

A quick check on the MLS for the town of Lake Wylie showed a few communities that almost met your need:

Mill Creek Falls - newer community with pool and clubhouse. As usual when they started buiding they took out a lot of the trees. Doesn't have a community basketball court, but you can find a basketball net in every other drive way.. Family oriented and very close to the school and work.

Autumn Cove - Similar to Mill Creek Falls in most respects (some of the homes are near power lines).

River Hills - Established gated community. Lots of trees, playground, basketball court, lakefront park, marina, and country club. The homes are older, but many have been remodeled. Here is a link to the community River Hills Community Association - River Hills Plantation

Old 04-07-2008, 11:42 AM

Default Fort Mill Communities

Here are some communities in the Fort Mill area that may meet your needs. The lot sizes vary and I am not sure if there are sidewalks in all of them. They are all family oriented with pools and clubhouses available.

Knightsbridge, Heron Harbor, Lake Shore, Baxter Village, and Waterstone.

Hopefully some residents of the communities can provide further insight.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:12 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,791,544 times
Belmarin has given you some great advice.

Lake Wylie/Clover is a nice area...good schools...and your money will tend to go a little farther than in Tega Cay or Fort Mill...plus the area is right where your husband will be working.

Tega Cay/Fort Mill are also nice areas....again the schools are really good. Tega Cay is a city that has much of what you are looking for, parks, basketball court, pool, etc. (there are some sections within Tega Cay that do not have sidewalks....but LakeShore does). We do have walking trails that many of us enjoy. You mention small lots but I don't know what you consider to small? Within Fort Mill there is Baxter Village, Knightsbridge, The Reserve, along with many, many more. I happen to know someone that moved from Clemson (they now reside in LakeShore)...and there are also several other employees from Catawba that reside in Tega Cay and Fort Mill as well.

Home

Best of luck to you!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:12 AM

What about the India hook area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>