Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 12:42 PM

686 posts, read 810,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Conversely, my kids are benefiting from a good education compared to where we lived. Yes, SC schools statewide are not good at all, but FM/TC has consistently ranked top in the state and I know my kids are getting a great education compared to what they would have gotten where we lived in NoNJ.

As for property taxes, we average $2K a year and live in a 30-year-old, 3,000 sq ft home. Not sure what kind of house you are living in that your taxes are $8K - it must either be listed as a 2nd home, or it's a brand new, million dollar plus home.

I also did copious amounts of research for 1-2 years before we moved, so we did move blind, but nearly all of my expectations were met when we arrived. But then again, we moved here in 2006, not 2016. A lot changed in those 10 years.

I am happy to hear that your children are thriving in their schools. The school topic is a hot one and has pros and cons depending on who you ask. We had high hopes and were excited to get the kids into FM schools based on the hype but unfortunately they didn't work out for us based on where my kids were when they moved here. Not to say that they are any more intelligent or gifted than anyone elses children but they were literally years ahead in curriculum.

We dont live in anything close to a $1M home but we do live in a new sub division in a brand new house. But I feel like all of the newer subdivisions like the Baxter(parts of it) , Springfield, masons bend, habersham neighborhoods are taxed to death. The taxes are much higher than we were lead to believe for the home we purchased.

10 years is sure a long time for things to change. Especially here, We have seen tons of change in just the 2+ years we have been here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 10:45 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,674,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-B View Post
Job Market: I know Charlotte is booming, I know a few people who have moved down there in the last few years. But can anyone tell me anything else about the job market in areas outside of Charlotte? We're open to exploring other locations within both NC and SC. Please keep in mind my husband and my professions! We're still at the point in our lives where saving money is everything, so we need to be in an area where our costs can be kept down and we can make money in our careers. It should also be noted that we're looking to buy, not rent.
I would look at south Charlotte.

I came to this area just outside of NYC, so I know traffic . The issue with the Charlotte area is that there are too few roads, traversing from one area to the next. If there's an issue (accident) on one of the roads, it can make for a lousy commute, so it's best to live in close proximity to work.

The Ballantyne area has a diversity of businesses, but I don't know about marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-B View Post
Entertainment: Obviously, coming from a big city and moving to the south is going to be a culture shock for us.
The majority of the people who live in south Charlotte or Fort Mill, likely come from NY, NJ, PA, or OH. Ballantyne has a diversity of food offerings, and Fort Mill is no slouch in that area as well. Downtown Matthews has a booming downtown, and Ft Mill has Baxter Village.

You wouldn't be bored in the Ballantyne area.

In my opinion, Charlotte's advantage is not only in location, but there are several nice parks and greenways.

Fort Mill's schools are well thought of, but so are south Charlotte's.

NC's property taxes are higher than SC's, but utilities in Charlotte can be a bit lower than Ft Mill (electric and water).

I would look at all three areas; if given a preference, I would look at Ballantyne, Blakeney, or Ft Mill. Why? Location. If you're in Ballantyne or Blakeney, you can easily travel to employment centers, and again, while Ft Mill's shopping options are generous, Ballantyne offers more. It also offers more in the way of parks and greenways. That said, all of the towns that you're interested in are desirable in their own way; you can't go wrong with any of them.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:12 AM

186 posts, read 336,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
I am happy to hear that your children are thriving in their schools. The school topic is a hot one and has pros and cons depending on who you ask. We had high hopes and were excited to get the kids into FM schools based on the hype but unfortunately they didn't work out for us based on where my kids were when they moved here. Not to say that they are any more intelligent or gifted than anyone elses children but they were literally years ahead in curriculum.

We dont live in anything close to a $1M home but we do live in a new sub division in a brand new house. But I feel like all of the newer subdivisions like the Baxter(parts of it) , Springfield, masons bend, habersham neighborhoods are taxed to death. The taxes are much higher than we were lead to believe for the home we purchased.

10 years is sure a long time for things to change. Especially here, We have seen tons of change in just the 2+ years we have been here.

It shouldn't matter if the home is a new subdivision or 30 years old. The property tax is figured off of the assessed value. While Girl was incorrect with the million dollar home value; if you go off the tax rates posted on the York County website and do some rough math. Using a home in Tega Cay city limits (Masons Bend is Tega Cay from what I can tell); the home would need to be valued at almost $690K to receive a $8K property tax bill. I used the Tega Cay rate in my example; because it has the highest millage rate in the area.

The only way my above example wouldn't be correct is if the home is not your primary residence and you need to make sure the county knows it is your primary residence. If they consider it your second home; you get hit at a higher rate (6% compared to 4% for primary residences) and mileage rate is higher (512.4 compared to 290.2 for Tega Cay). They also add back in the school operating costs.

With a lot of the newer subdivisions having homes north of $500K; the property tax bills are going to be higher then they were compared to subdivisions built 10 or 15 years ago that had lower starting values.

Psy

Old 01-04-2019, 12:37 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,442,298 times
I'm glad to see some updated good information as I try to decide between Indian Land and Fort Mill. Initially, I liked Rock Hill but I've heard the school district is not the best. I like Mason Bend but the values seem to be high. I also, like The Retreat at Rayfield and Bent Creek in Indian Land since they are just outside of Ballantyne for easy access. Does anyone have any thoughts on the differences between Indian Land and Fort Mill middle school and high schools?

Old 01-04-2019, 02:54 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,315,344 times
IL schools are slightly behind FM schools in terms of quality, but are catching up as the IL area continues to grow and attract new residents.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:08 PM

850 posts, read 2,654,826 times
Masons Bend isn’t in Tega Cay. It’s either the unincorporated area of York County or it’s in the town of Fort Mill. Pretty sure it’s unincorported York County, the same as Baxter Village.
However, Tega Cay does run from the peninsula out Stonecrest, Dam and Gardendale Road. The rest of New Grey Rock and south of Sutton falls under York County. All of the new neighborhoods in the Gardendale area fall under Tega Cays mileage rates. Hope this helps.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:40 PM

16 posts, read 29,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marndt View Post
Masons Bend isn’t in Tega Cay. It’s either the unincorporated area of York County or it’s in the town of Fort Mill. Pretty sure it’s unincorported York County, the same as Baxter Village.
However, Tega Cay does run from the peninsula out Stonecrest, Dam and Gardendale Road. The rest of New Grey Rock and south of Sutton falls under York County. All of the new neighborhoods in the Gardendale area fall under Tega Cays mileage rates. Hope this helps.
I checked and looks like Masons Bend is in the town of Fort Mill...so they do have to pay a good bit more property tax than Unicorp York. Combine that with the prices that things sell for over there, you are going to have some high property tax bills. Here is a random bill in MB I checked to verify: https://onlinetaxes.yorkcountygov.co...E635F86364094A
Also noticed Tega Cay and Town of Fort Mill bills have an extra "fee" on there. For Town of Fort Mill it's $72.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:06 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,674,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I'm glad to see some updated good information as I try to decide between Indian Land and Fort Mill. Initially, I liked Rock Hill but I've heard the school district is not the best. I like Mason Bend but the values seem to be high. I also, like The Retreat at Rayfield and Bent Creek in Indian Land since they are just outside of Ballantyne for easy access. Does anyone have any thoughts on the differences between Indian Land and Fort Mill middle school and high schools?
Ardrey Kell is #15 in the State; Providence High is #16:

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...olina/rankings

(I write this to highlight the fact that Charlotte's schools aren't a reason to take Charlotte off of the table)

Highway 521 is going to be a nightmare (traffic wise), as it doesn't have sufficient capacity. If you're heading into Ballantyne regularly, IL is your best bet.

We have friends that have, or had, children in Ft Mill & Rock Hill districts, and they were very satisfied with both. Again, sometimes the reputation that a district gets, is unearned. That said, Fort Mill & IL schools are likely better than Rock Hill.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,547 times
Default Moving south

We are also looking to relocate from PA. From what I researched a lot of jobs are retail and hotel related.

On our way to retirement but still have some years to put in, especially with the health insurance issue.

The pay scale seems to be a bit lower but in the long run the state caters to seniors.

Any helpful information you stimble across please share.

We are open to moving within an hour form the beach but not directly on the beach, tho that would be nice (expensive and unfortunately too close to the water for the past few years in regards to catastrophic incidents)

Old 01-07-2019, 06:52 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,315,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew4090 View Post
We are also looking to relocate from PA. From what I researched a lot of jobs are retail and hotel related.

On our way to retirement but still have some years to put in, especially with the health insurance issue.

The pay scale seems to be a bit lower but in the long run the state caters to seniors.

Any helpful information you stimble across please share.

We are open to moving within an hour form the beach but not directly on the beach, tho that would be nice (expensive and unfortunately too close to the water for the past few years in regards to catastrophic incidents)
Be advised York/Lancaster county in SC is 3-4 hours from the coast, so not likely to be an area you are interested in retiring, if you want to be nearer to the beach than not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties