Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-21-2019, 08:08 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,540 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Not sure this really answered my question/requests.

I am looking for any helpful tips when moving to SC. As I stated I will need to be employed full time for health insurance purposes.

Looks like Little River might be an option.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2019, 08:36 AM
 
Location: On a Farm & by the sea
1,145 posts, read 2,876,827 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew4090 View Post
Not sure this really answered my question/requests.

I am looking for any helpful tips when moving to SC. As I stated I will need to be employed full time for health insurance purposes.

Looks like Little River might be an option.
Hi Crew....you may want to start your own thread as your target area and goals are different from the OP. Your request is likely to get lost in the thread. Hope that helps.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 08:44 AM
 
Location: On a Farm & by the sea
1,145 posts, read 2,876,827 times
Reputation: 1016
OP..... I have friends and colleagues who have moved South from NJ, NY and Philly. Just 15 minutes ago my best friend, now in NJ, sent me temps from there... 7, 8 and 9 degrees. There are so many reasons people are moving South and doing it young, when you can, seems to be a good plan. I like the Ballentyne area mentioned earlier in the thread. I have relatives in Charlotte and I'm there a good bit. I love the area but the traffic, to me, is on par with Atlanta. You lose a lot of time commuting if you don't strategically plan where you live. Perhaps one of you can interview for jobs and secure at least one location so that you can target the best place to live. IMHO it's better to pay a little more for your residence and have more family time. The other can then look for positions in the same area or maybe look for a position where she/he can telecommute some days. Charlotte is indeed booming and a great landing place for you to begin and discover more about the region via days trips, etc... Most of the people I know who relocated to more rural areas in the South were not as happy as those who settled closer to larger cities with more to offer. Greenville SC is another area that is on the radar but the job opps won't compare to Charlotte. Research is necessary but, honestly, you just have to move in the direction that feels right and understand that you can "adjust" down the road. We aren't trees....if we don't like one place, we get to move elsewhere. Good luck!!! Whatever you choose, together you will make it a fun adventure.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Over yonder a piece
4,272 posts, read 6,305,824 times
Reputation: 7154
Tinabean, I disagree about Charlotte traffic. It is nowhere as near bad as ATL's traffic, which is truly horrendous and more on par with Washington, DC traffic. Charlotte still has a long way to go to reach ATL levels. Here in Charlotte my commute is 35 minutes to go 10 miles. That is not bad AT ALL. In DC when I needed to commute SIX miles it took over an hour. Every time I've gone to ATL, despite their main thoroughfare having 6 lanes in each direction, it is bumper to bumper stop and go traffic during all hours of the day, not just rush hour.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2019, 11:50 AM
 
3,483 posts, read 6,270,145 times
Reputation: 2722
Charlotte traffic is bad, I lived there and drove up from rock hill to north Charlotte thru the 77. Hate it. Worst than San Diego at times.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2019, 02:16 PM
 
686 posts, read 807,992 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Charlotte traffic is bad, I lived there and drove up from rock hill to north Charlotte thru the 77. Hate it. Worst than San Diego at times.
I would agree that CLT traffic is horrible and the drivers are extremely aggressive. I guess its NASCAR fever! lol
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2019, 07:08 AM
 
186 posts, read 335,657 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
I would agree that CLT traffic is horrible and the drivers are extremely aggressive. I guess its NASCAR fever! lol
I don't feel that it is NASCAR Fever; but more; that people whether they are born and raised here or transplants; don't know how to drive in traffic.


I see more people out here that like to merge onto I77 or 485 only going 30mph and expect that drivers already on the road will slow down to let them merge onto the freeway. I've also seen them when they want to change lane; slow way down to get over; when all they had to do was speed up a little to get in front of the car in the other lane. Which in turn causes everyone else in that lane to either slow way down or swerve around them. You also have a ton of people who like to camp out in the fast lane who feel that they are the speed police; when there is no one in the slower lanes next to them. Which cause other people to tailgate them hoping that they will move out of the fast lane.


The scariest I've seen (and I've seen them multiple times) is someone on I77 decide to almost stop in one of the inside lanes because they don't want to miss their exit. Why can't people just drive to the next exit and turn around.


Psy
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2019, 08:32 AM
 
686 posts, read 807,992 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsylockeSmythe View Post
I don't feel that it is NASCAR Fever; but more; that people whether they are born and raised here or transplants; don't know how to drive in traffic.


I see more people out here that like to merge onto I77 or 485 only going 30mph and expect that drivers already on the road will slow down to let them merge onto the freeway. I've also seen them when they want to change lane; slow way down to get over; when all they had to do was speed up a little to get in front of the car in the other lane. Which in turn causes everyone else in that lane to either slow way down or swerve around them. You also have a ton of people who like to camp out in the fast lane who feel that they are the speed police; when there is no one in the slower lanes next to them. Which cause other people to tailgate them hoping that they will move out of the fast lane.


The scariest I've seen (and I've seen them multiple times) is someone on I77 decide to almost stop in one of the inside lanes because they don't want to miss their exit. Why can't people just drive to the next exit and turn around.


Psy
Don’t disagree as I have witnessed the creeping mergers and lane changers daily. Overall the drivers here are much more aggressive than places I’ve lived in the past. Not saying it’s a bad thing- to each their own. But I will NEVER buy a used car from here because of how hard people drive.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2019, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Over yonder a piece
4,272 posts, read 6,305,824 times
Reputation: 7154
Bad drivers are everywhere. In DC, in NoNJ, in NC/SC. Every where I've lived as a driver has had horrible drivers. It's not just in one area. The TYPE of bad drivers may be different (DC is the worst for road rage IME) but they are all still bad drivers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2019, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
1 posts, read 521 times
Reputation: 11
you will love Fort Mill and Tega Cay, however they are getting very crowded. I have some city magazines that I could mail to you, one is a Fort Mill magazine and one is a Lake Wylie magazine. you can send me a private message and I can mail you the magazines. I have lived here all of my life if you want to ask any other questions.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top