Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 03:47 PM

19 posts, read 25,039 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm moving to either SC or NC in the next few months and wanted to know if anyone knows about right to farm communities in these states. I'd be looking to move to the Charlotte area, but also looking into York County. Essentially, what I would like to know is if I can either purchase land and have a small farm on it, for example, a small vegetable farm where I could grow and also sell commercially, or purchase property and have a farm in my backyard. If anyone is familiar with Curtis Stone's farm up in British Columbia would know what I'd be talking about.

Are there certain regulations that prohibit or make it hard to accomplish this? Or would people be free to do this on their property? I've looked at city and county websites but havent read anything concrete, also looked at the SC and NC right to farm statutes but the question I am asking doesn't seem to match to anything I read. Does anyone personally have experience with backyard farms on their properties ?

I hope my question is clear,

Thank you,

Mauricio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 08:54 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,297,425 times
I would think there are some unincorporated areas in York or Clover that might allow you to farm on your property.

Looks like you can apply to be categorized as a farm:
https://www.yorkcountygov.com/Docume...pplication-PDF

Non-timberland requires you have more than 10 acres to start - if you are planning on only less than 10 acres, you cannot qualify to be considered a farm property.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:18 AM

That's very interesting to know. I was not aware of being categorized as a farm, however I don't think it would apply to me since I probably would not be more than 2 acres. In any case, I'm starting to get the impression that what wouldn't be allowed, or at least not permitted without permits is selling directly off the property? I was just looking to sell to restaurants, grocery stores, and at farmers markets.

I presume that if you just grow and sell elsewhere that that would be fine, I just understand that each municipality is different. I guess once I get there I should go to a county or local office and speak to them about it.

Thank you for your input! I appreciate it.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:13 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,650,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCARDOZO View Post
That's very interesting to know. I was not aware of being categorized as a farm, however I don't think it would apply to me since I probably would not be more than 2 acres. In any case, I'm starting to get the impression that what wouldn't be allowed, or at least not permitted without permits is selling directly off the property? I was just looking to sell to restaurants, grocery stores, and at farmers markets.

I presume that if you just grow and sell elsewhere that that would be fine, I just understand that each municipality is different. I guess once I get there I should go to a county or local office and speak to them about it.

Thank you for your input! I appreciate it.
You might find this helpful (since you're also considering NC):

N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services - Touching your life every day.

If you could provide us with how much land you're looking for, I/we can point you in the right direction. I would imagine that a rural/semi rural setting is a non issue for you, or do you want access to the City (in addition to the trips you might make to restaurants/markets selling your products)?

Old 01-08-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
You might find this helpful (since you're also considering NC):

N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services - Touching your life every day.

If you could provide us with how much land you're looking for, I/we can point you in the right direction. I would imagine that a rural/semi rural setting is a non issue for you, or do you want access to the City (in addition to the trips you might make to restaurants/markets selling your products)?

I will certainly look into that link you attached. Thank you for that.

I'm actually really looking for nothing more than an acre or two. I don't plan to farm on acres of land, if I can stick to less than an acre at first, I'd be only interested in urban farming, literally farming on a quarter acre, or half an acre to start. More towards, farming in my backyard type of thing, that's why I was concerned if there are any regulations I should look into at that small of a scale.

Ideally I'd like to be close to restaurants, grocery stores, whereas rurally, it's more of a limitation as more distance would be in between to get into the city. However, I'm not opposed to being semi rural, not more than 30-40 minutes outside the city, as long as I can farm on my property. I've looked at Rock Hill, even Lancaster, or York, but also places like Gastonia, Concord, Matthews, Huntersville, even within the city limits of Charlotte.

Thank you for your reply ! I appreciate it.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:15 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,650,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCARDOZO View Post
I will certainly look into that link you attached. Thank you for that.

I'm actually really looking for nothing more than an acre or two. I don't plan to farm on acres of land, if I can stick to less than an acre at first, I'd be only interested in urban farming, literally farming on a quarter acre, or half an acre to start. More towards, farming in my backyard type of thing, that's why I was concerned if there are any regulations I should look into at that small of a scale.

Ideally I'd like to be close to restaurants, grocery stores, whereas rurally, it's more of a limitation as more distance would be in between to get into the city. However, I'm not opposed to being semi rural, not more than 30-40 minutes outside the city, as long as I can farm on my property. I've looked at Rock Hill, even Lancaster, or York, but also places like Gastonia, Concord, Matthews, Huntersville, even within the city limits of Charlotte.

Thank you for your reply ! I appreciate it.
Prego .

As to/for areas to look at, you want to stay *outside* of the City limits, as land use laws are a lot more lenient outside of the City limits. For example, in the County, you might not have a limit as to how many roosters you may own, while many City municipalities limit the practice (thank God; for a year, I rented a house next to a miserable, nocturnal, rooster!).

My recommendation would be to look at areas that are not only hospitable to a semi rural lifestyle today, but might also be in the near future.

Here are some areas that I recommend:

- The Lesslie section of Rock Hill SC

- McConnells SC

- Kings Mountain NC (which encompasses quite a bit of territory)

The Lesslie section of Rock Hill would put you in touch with restaurants in Rock Hill, Fort Mill, Indian Land, and Charlotte. You would also have the Galleria shopping district nearby.

If you have any other questions, ask away.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:13 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
Also beware of HOA's you may run into restrictions. Other than that I don't see a problem with having a garden around here it's not exactly considered farming.

Our neighbor (he died) had 5 acres and grew tomatoes for years that he sold to local restaurants. We don't have a Homeowners Association. We live in the county but mother-in-law lived in the city of Rock Hill and had a garden every year. She just gave veggies away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties