Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 07:01 AM

14,526 posts, read 20,783,384 times

Advertisements

We knew an employee at a grocery chain who was a high school student at NW. However their home address was zoned for RHHS. How did they manage to get enrolled at a school contrary to the bus route?

I've seen the bus routes for all schools and see bus stops for SP, RHHS and NW which are very close together suggesting a student with a RHHS address could attend one of the other 2 schools. How do they engage with the high school they are supposed to attend (based on their address) in order to attend one of the others.

Surely they are not the only one doing this.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 02:41 PM

197 posts, read 279,661 times
Well Southpoint is a school of choice (STEAM) so anyone can apply to go there as far as I know...or at a minimum, those who were in middle school of choice (saluda trail STEAM). There is also a Dual Credit school of choice option which I am not familiar with, but apparently is not available at all high schools.

Also there may be instances where the district allows someone to transfer due to bullying, etc.

Also I suspect if you moved after the school year began, you could continue to attend where you were

And some people are just dishonest and claim they live at a relative's address, etc.

And there may be yet other reasons someone might attend a different school

Old 02-12-2019, 09:54 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,993,700 times
The bus drivers receive their routes and that's it. They transport the students to the high/middle/elementary schools they are assigned. Should a student board a bus, the bus driver is not going to question him/her. The school office and district maintains records regarding the address of the students.

My grandson attended a high school and did not live in the district. His parents had to provide his transportation. The bus that came through his neighborhood did not go to the school he attended. My nephews attended a high school out of their district and graduated no bus transportation either. Their mother worked there.

My grandson was in elementary, middle and started to high school and his parents bought a home in a different district. The school district allowed him to stay in the out of district high school.

The only time you will see a brouhaha is when a Super Jock athlete attempts to attend a different high school. South Pointe's AD and staff would have rioted if Jadeveon Clowney or Stephon Gilmore tried to attend RHHS or NWHS. Then the Herald, Charlotte Observer and State picks it up.

Like phareous said, I do know people that didn't like the school district they lived in and used a relative or friend's address to enroll their student but they didn't ride the bus.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:13 PM

197 posts, read 279,661 times
Just to clarify, Rock Hill does have school of choice buses. So just because a child gets on a neighborhood bus doesn't mean they are going to a neighborhood school. All the buses from neighborhoods and all the buses from school of choice schools meet at the district bus lot (off of Heckle) to exchange students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties