U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 07:14 AM

16 posts, read 11,260 times

Advertisements

Come on all you York County residents...I am seeking to relocate to Fort Mill with my 2 children (pre-teen girl & sporty 9 yr. old boy) and I need to know the names of your 3-bed apts? I only saw a couple in the Apartment Finder, so would I be better off renting from a private landlord? Schools; Now I know Fort Mill has some of the best schools in the nation, but will schools be affected by the growth sprawl? A good school to me is parent involvement, respectful staff, and a principal who has a open door policy to any concerns you may have. I don't care for the "you have to make an appointment then after several days, you forgot what is was you have to address" You know, the celebrity-type persona? I want teachers who teach to have a compassion to 'teach' because anyone with a degree can teach a classroom and I just want to know is Fort Mill schools ranked high because of the test scores or is it because the above mentioned? Because the highest ranked schools, may not always be the 'best' schools? I posted some threads in the Charlotte forum because I have narrowed my new residency down to Concord, Fort Mill, and Mooresville. I've heard nice things abt all 3, but the negative I keep hearing is the growth sprawl & the TRAFFIC..how do do think our family will adjust from NW Ohio and is Fort Mill schools diversed and will it be easy for my children to make friends here? Your honest opinions will be greatly appreciated!!! God bless all...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,136 times
The Fort Mill school system is diligently working to sccomodate growth in Fort Mill. From te speakers that I have heard, they are on top of it and have plans to build accordingly.
My son started K in the system this year and I am very impressed with everything. You can be as involved as you want to be-
Good luck in your search!

Old 04-12-2008, 10:10 AM

5,978 posts, read 18,906,254 times
Risky - there's always a price to pay for being in desirable areas, and because they are desirable, people will flock there. It can't remain a secret forever. Taxes are good (for now) and traffic is manageable (for now) and schools are topnotch (for now) in Fort Mill. I live here so I just make the best of everything. They are building 2 more elementary schools to accomodate the growth, and we're hoping that FM is better planned than Union County, NC in terms of planning both for schools and infrastructure. We can't promise that it won't turn into a sprawl but the town is doing its best and the residents are cooperative. All in all, this is a great place to live with things to do and places to see, and bunches and bunches of friendly people!

Old 04-12-2008, 06:46 PM

81 posts, read 295,925 times
It seems like every 2nd person I've met here is from Ohio! We've made friends with 2 great families that moved here from there. Your kids will definately make friends. They are everywhere! The sports programs are very good here. Since your son is younger, he won't have trouble getting on school teams. The Tega Cay Rec. program, the YMCA and the Leroy Springs Complex sports programs are all great, offer many sports and are open to anyone.

The schools here are better than most public schools. All the teachers my children have had, have been very good. The band program is excellent. If your children struggle, the schools will definately work to get them to succeed. Parents are involved a lot here. If you go to ANY of the programs that parents attend during the day, you will have trouble finding a space to park or sit, because so many will come! The same during the evening. At the high school level, you may find it hard to speak with someone quickly about your concerns. We did have one terrible incident occur because our concerns with student behavior in the highschool was not addressed in a timely (5 day) manner. I don't think that is routine though.

There are a lot of different opportunities to study and prepare for college in varied subjects at the high school level. The district has not figured out how to have every teacher post daily classwork, assignements and monthly goals on the internet though. Postings are sporadic at best. It is very easy for the parents to stay on top of their childs daily work that way. We had that in the school we came from. From elementary age on up to 12th. And they had less money and more people than York Co. Two sets of textbooks would be nice. One for school, and one for home. It saves a lot of back ache. My 6th grader has a hard time carrying all his books home to study. My 9th grader makes good grades without studying. Don't know if that's a good thing or not!
The kids can have a very rigorous and challenging high school education that will lead to a great college if they choose to work hard. And there are many, many excellent colleges and universities to choose from that are close by.

There is a lot of 'money' here, and the kids dress like it. Unfortunately, my two high school age children picked up the "Is it from Abercrombie" attitude pretty quick. My 6th grade son, who plays baseball and is in the band, doesn't seem to mind about the 'consumerism'. Thank goodness! I think the schools are doing a great job with all the growth that is going on. They have good teachers considering that they need so many, and don't have the luxury of being choosy. But, since a lot of people are moving here that care about education, there are many teachers to choose from that are moving here also. There are many, many opportunities for college and university here also.

I guess I got on a bit of a rant here. Just had a cup of coffee! Sorry about that. I believe that our experience is probably pretty universal though when you have so much growth and so many people. There is much more good here than bad. And the good has a high probability of exponential growth here, because of all the good people who are striving for excellence. (in my humble opinion) I do think you would find Fort Mill a good place to live. I can't compare them to the other nearby areas that you mentioned, as I don't know anyone there.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:19 PM

70 posts, read 261,694 times
Default We can ALWAYS use MORE opinions

Risky,

Did you move yet? And if you did can you tell me where you ended up. We are considering alot of the same things you discussed so your take on the whole situation would be helpful.
Thank you,
Tracey
Utah95@optonline.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties