Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 03:26 AM

2 posts, read 23,812 times

Advertisements

I know that everyone who reads these messages must know that that are 2 sides to everystory. My name is Russell Smith and I am the owner of Superior Custom Homes,LLC in Rock Hill SC. I have been building homes with my company since June 26,2000. We have built over 350 homes since I opened the company. We have built homes from 1200 sq ft single story ranches, upto over 12,000 sq ft lake front 4 story homes. you truely can customize your home just about anyway that you want. you can have any feature or option that you could possible imagine. we do basements, standard foundations, full brick, stone, stucco, hardy plank, full brick and the most common vinyl siding. i am not sure where some of the information is coming from but SCH does not offer manufactured homes, we only offer true off frame crane set on permanent foundation modular homes that are built to SC and NC Residential Building Code. Superior Custom Homes only uses 2 x 6 exterior walls 16" On Center(we do not offer 2 x 4 exterior walls at all), we use 2 x 4 walls 16"On center on all interior walls and all interior marriage walls where the house is joined together is wrapped with OSB to add extra strength to the home. The floor system is either a unified web floor truss system rated at over 200lbs per sq in or the tradition 2 x 10 floor joist 16" on Center. The roof rafter system is built to a minium 40lbs per sq inch at 24" On center. local code is 20 lbs per sq in. We only use hand rolled insulation, R19 in the 6 inch sidewalls compared to R13 in a tradition 2 x 4 wall, and R19 in the floors and we use R30 in the ceiling or 2nd floor area. we use R36 in the areas behind the knee walls that do not get covered by flooring on the 2nd floor. we use 30 years architectual shingles by Georgia pacific and we use Anderson, Moss, or Barrier windows. we offer all kind from single hung to double hung to casements, from all wood to all vinyl to vinyl clad. please go on my website at Superior Custom Homes - Main Page and you can see a wide varity of homes and many articles written about my company and you can see awards and all kind of neat information. you can watch a video on line about our company and even watch a 30 minute infomerical to see some of what we do. when it comes to customers like Kevin Blue, i am sorry to write that he is a very unhappy cutomer and that i will be more that happy to fully explain and show written signed documentation of both sides of this story. please call my office and set up a persoanl meeting if you are truley interested in the whole story. i will be glad to provide all information. i am very sorry that kevin is not happy with his home and i will be very glad to share with anyone all of the details to his not so one sided story. i will provide written and signed documentation to back my story up and i will tell both sides of the story with honesty and intrigirty, which after you see all of the facts you will plianly see that those are 2 qualities not Mr blue does not have in his story. i will be the first to tell you just like i tell every customer before they buy a home with us, there are 2 guarantees that i give. one that things are going to go wrong in the construction process, some big, some small, but the second is that no matter what they are i will guarantee to make them right. in a relationship there are always 2 people that have to hold up there obligations. in rare case people like Kevin do not hold up there end of the written and signed obligations. i will say this and close, i will be more that happy to put my side of the story to the test and see who a neutral party thinks is right or wrong. i have never sued anyone in my life and i will say thankfully that i have never been sued either. i have only had 2 or 3 complaints poste with the better bussiness beurea and i am proud to say that i was found in compliance with all complaints. I am proud to say that out of over 350 customers i only have a very small percentage of unhappy customers and over 50% of my bussiness comes from referrals from satisfied home owners. i will say that all of my customers experienced mistakes and dissappointments but before the home was finished and they paid in full for there home and occupied their home with their families they were made happy and i strive to do that with all customers not just 90%. it is my goal to achieve 100% customers satisfaction, i continue to make improvements with contractors, building materials, manufactures and anything that i can do to make the home building exsperience more pleasant and we try to give our customers more information that thay could possible ask for. i hope that my reply has been helpful to anyone who is concerned and i will be glad to anwer any questions in the future about my product, my company, and my customers. thank you and remember there are always 2 sides to every story. i simple ask that you get bith side and i trust that your decision will be one based on the facts and not lies or make believe stories. sorry for the typing and grammer, i am a much better speaker than a typist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 23,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yep, that was me!!! Though I'm in good company if I am mistaken for you lovethecarolinas

I am interested in modular companies, particularly New Era since they seem to be one of the largest. The problem for many seems to be the local distributors or builders like Superior who set the homes on the lot. I went to Superior and was underwhelmed. Then I discovered they are just previous Clayton Manufactured Homes builders - a big red flag for me. There is a group of these type companies who have lost money in the manufactured home market and are now with a little tweaking calling their homes "modular" to get their companies in that market. But they are not "true modular" system built homes. BUYER BEWARE!

When/if I build a modular home it will be with a custom builder who only builds for true modular companies, not a manufacturered home builder - there is a big difference.
I DO NOT KNOW WHO YOU ARE, BUT YOU WRONG ABOUT SUPERIOR CUSTOM HOMES. I AM THE OWNER AND I HAVE NEVER BEEN IN THE MOBILE HOME BUSINESS. I FOUNDED THE COMPANY IN JUNE 2000 AND I HAVE ONLY CARRIED NEW ERA BUILDING SYSTEMS SINCE I OPENED THE COMPANY. I HAVE NEVER BUILT A CLAYTON MOBILE HOME, NOR WORK WITH OR FOR THE COMPANY. I HAVE BUILT OVER 400 HOMES IN THE PAST 7 YEARS AND HAVE WON MANY AWARDS. I HAVE HOMES ON MY WEB SITE THAT YOU CAN TAKE VIRTUAL TOURS AND SEE FOR YOURSELF AT Moderator cut: website removed

I AM THE NUMBER 1 BUILDER FOR NEW ERA AND HAVE BEEN FOR OVER 6 YEARS. I HAVE BUILT HOMES AS LARGE AS 12,500 SQ FT AND VALUED AT OVER 2.5MILLION DOLLARS. WE DO ABOUT 20 BASEMENTS A YEAR AND OFFER ANYTHING FROM A SIMPLE 1200 SQ FT RANCH ALL THE WAY TO OVER 12,000 SQ FT 4 STORY HOME. TRUE MODULAR HOME COMPANIES LIKE MINE DO NOT OFFER MOBILE HOMES OR ON FRAME MODULAR HOMES. WE ONLY OFFER TRUE OFF FRAME CRANE SET HOMES ON BASEMENTS OR PERMANENT FOUNDATIONS. I AM SORRY THAT YOU ARE SO MISINFORMED. Moderator cut: advertising removed THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO ONE IN THE SOUTH EAST THAT EVEN COMES CLOSE TO BUILDING A MORE QUALITY OR MORE HIGH END HOME. I HOPE THAT YOU WILL COME AND SEE FOR YOURSELF THE ACTUAL PRODUCT. RUSSELL SMITH

Last edited by GoPadge; 06-21-2007 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: I appreciate your desire to defend your company's honor, but advertising comments violate the Terms of Service.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 14,198 times
I've looked at modular homes for the last 10 years in anticipation of buying one someday. I can say that the modular homes built today far exceed anything you pay to have site built. I say site built because the only difference is one is built inside away from the elements while being built. True not all modulars are the same, but if you want a good one then stay away from any place that sells both manufactured and modular, I've found that those places pretty much stick to a manufactured mind set for the modulars. As to what someone mentioned here about places selling Clayton homes under another name, I say thats bogus and a salesman was trying to get you to buy his stuff. I've actually had Claton/Luv homes sales people lie to me and say they bought out other modular homes that went under because of cheap construction, bull, I caught them buy actually calling 2 of the places they said went under and bought out and guess what? Thier still in business with the same owners that created them. They also were surprised to hear they went under lol. No I wouldnt trust a salesman from any manufactured home place, their like car salesman, they will tell you anything to buy thier product.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:46 AM

559 posts, read 2,109,833 times
Does anyone know about Adam Getchell and Jon Sandberg, who build Nationwide modular homes? Does anyone know about Nationwide Homes? I would love to hear about your experiences with them.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:21 PM

4 posts, read 22,281 times
Don't do modular. you can get more quality for your money. Try America's Home Place. they are superb custom home builders who can build for $58/sq.ft.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:12 AM

22 posts, read 66,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Smith View Post
I know that everyone who reads these messages must know that that are 2 sides to everystory. My name is Russell Smith and I am the owner of Superior Custom Homes,LLC in Rock Hill SC. I have been building homes with my company since June 26,2000. We have built over 350 homes since I opened the company. We have built homes from 1200 sq ft single story ranches, upto over 12,000 sq ft lake front 4 story homes. you truely can customize your home just about anyway that you want. you can have any feature or option that you could possible imagine. we do basements, standard foundations, full brick, stone, stucco, hardy plank, full brick and the most common vinyl siding.
I think this is well said. Many "stick built" homes are constructed at minimum code requirements. Such as 24" OC roof trusess and 2x4 exterior walls. Look at a Weiland home for example. Seems to be well constructed but still with 2x4 exterior walls.

I am a proponent of modular construction. Many of the stick built homes by major builders have many modular components. After reading this we should keep modular homes as a viable alternative. You just might end up with a better constructed home.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:30 AM

559 posts, read 2,109,833 times
Smile One more time

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post
Does anyone know about Adam Getchell and Jon Sandberg, who build Nationwide modular homes? Does anyone know about Nationwide Homes? I would love to hear about your experiences with them.
Anyone?????

Old 04-28-2008, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 11,059 times
Default Superior Custom Homes

I have a Superior Home and have been VERY disappointed. I went to the Better Business Bureau (what a joke) but the best thing to do is go to the SCLLR. This is where the license is controlled. Thats what I did and boy did they repair like crazy then. Only took them 4 years to repair though. Good luck to all who choose this builder.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 22,871 times
Default Superior Custom Homes in Rock Hill, SC

Do not buy from them....The owner's get you in as quick as possible , takes them forever to fix stuff and ignore your phone calls. I have been in my house for almost 5 years...still have things they didn't fix or finish!!! My sister bought from them also....lives beside me...same thing!!! I'll never buy another "stick" built home!!! Especially from Superior Homes!!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 01:05 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,180,896 times
Default Superior Custom Homes ~ Rock Hill SC

According to the Better Business Bureau they have an unsatisfactory record.

The report can be viewed at:

Charlotte, NC: Check Out a Business or Charity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties