Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 04:54 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,035,835 times

Advertisements

Hi my husband and I are thinking of relocating to SC or NC. He would like to be near Charlotte since there is an airport and he does a lot of travel. I am a wedding planner in Philly and although I am sure the market is different down there everyone still gets married so I figured I can move my business down there. I am sure the average wedding up here is triple the amount down there.

ANyways, we found a great new neighborhood in clover by. K. Hovarian homes. We plan on visitng the charlotte area in august.

Can anyone tell me what the area is like? Congested, boring, any night life, small town feel?

The housing is so affordable compared to here.
It is hard to get an idea on the home sites. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2006, 08:16 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,213,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32
Hi my husband and I are thinking of relocating to SC or NC. He would like to be near Charlotte since there is an airport and he does a lot of travel. I am a wedding planner in Philly and although I am sure the market is different down there everyone still gets married so I figured I can move my business down there. I am sure the average wedding up here is triple the amount down there.

ANyways, we found a great new neighborhood in clover by. K. Hovarian homes. We plan on visitng the charlotte area in august.

Can anyone tell me what the area is like? Congested, boring, any night life, small town feel?

The housing is so affordable compared to here.
It is hard to get an idea on the home sites. Thanks!
I like Clover, SC (we are located just on the otherside of Lake Wylie in Tega Cay, SC). It is spread out, small town feel...not much in the way of nightlife though). I realize you are looking at new homes...but it is a great area for resells with land. Downtown Clover has a quaint main street with several antique stores and other goodies...and if you get hungry you might check out Courtney's for BBQ. There are a couple of ways you can get to the airport from the homes you are looking at (back roads or hwy 49 to 160/Steele Creek Rd to the 485). If you or your husband needs to commute to Charlotte for work there had been complaints of congestion during peak travel times when crossing over the Buster Boyd Bridge (over Lake Wylie) as everyone is headed for either the 485 or 77 but it seems to have eased up now due to the roads being widen. Hope that was of some help and if you have any other questions..feel free to ask away.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:05 PM

Default thanks

Do you think it is a wiser choice to buy a house from resell or a new one? I expect we may only move down there for a few years so I am wondering where we would make the most profit. Who knows we might stay there forever but for now we think just temporarily.

If we wanted to go to Charlotte at night on the weekends how long is the drive from Clover?

Are their good restuarants besides the barbeque one? We will definitely check that out.

I guess I am just worried that as two late twenty somethings we won't find anything to do. Is the area considered middle class or lower, higher? Do be consider it a nice area?

Old 05-11-2006, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Do you think it is a wiser choice to buy a house from resell or a new one? I expect we may only move down there for a few years so I am wondering where we would make the most profit. Who knows we might stay there forever but for now we think just temporarily.

If we wanted to go to Charlotte at night on the weekends how long is the drive from Clover?

Are their good restuarants besides the barbeque one? We will definitely check that out.

I guess I am just worried that as two late twenty somethings we won't find anything to do. Is the area considered middle class or lower, higher? Do be consider it a nice area?
Resell or new?...I guess that just depends on where you are looking and what you want. Personally every person I know that has bought a new house tells me they would never do it again (?). We bought a home that was only 9 montsh old (original owner was transferred out of state) and that worked out really well for us. I also brought up resell due to the fact that older homes in Clover w/land can still be bought at a fairly good price...if you were planning on sticking around for awhile...this area is just beginning to take off. I have seen land in other areas (in close proximity to Charlotte) that are going for a high premium now. As far as things to do in Clover...there again it all depends on what you like to do (outdoor sports, water sports,...etc....) but after reading your responses (between the lines) it really doesn't sound like Clover is what you are looking for at this stage of your life. Clover is definetly a slower lifestyle...if that doesn't sound good right now....you might look at areas closer to Charlotte. I apologize if this sounds so wishy washy...but knowing more of what your price range is and what your wants and needs are in a town/city would be more helpful.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:04 AM

Thanks...well I want a slow lifestyle becuase I suffer from Chronic Fatigue SYndrome which has totally changed me! I got sick last year so I also need to be near good medical care. There is supposedly a great CFS dr. in CHarlotte. I like the small town feel but hubby wants nightlife or at least some really good upscale restaurants. I would not mind land with a pool!!! but the problem is we won't know anyone and my hubby travels so I didn't want to be in the middle of nowhere by myself! That is why I thought a new development would be better. Our price range is 150-200 and we prefer around 4 bedrooms. I do not want to be too far from a big city since I plan on keeping my wedding planning business. I like the new developments also b/c then we get all newer amenities and having something brand new that we can afford is super unrealistic up here. A brand new home with 4 bedrooms runs around $550,000!!!

Are their good supermarkets and shops near or aroudn CLover? I guess how rural is it? Do you think it will increase in value more then say Gastonia is NC? The developer has some similiar housing developments there.

Last edited by MJPost32; 05-21-2006 at 10:08 AM..

Old 05-21-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks...well I want a slow lifestyle becuase I suffer from Chronic Fatigue SYndrome which has totally changed me! I got sick last year so I also need to be near good medical care. There is supposedly a great CFS dr. in CHarlotte. I like the small town feel but hubby wants nightlife or at least some really good upscale restaurants. I would not mind land with a pool!!! but the problem is we won't know anyone and my hubby travels so I didn't want to be in the middle of nowhere by myself! That is why I thought a new development would be better. Our price range is 150-200 and we prefer around 4 bedrooms. I do not want to be too far from a big city since I plan on keeping my wedding planning business. I like the new developments also b/c then we get all newer amenities and having something brand new that we can afford is super unrealistic up here. A brand new home with 4 bedrooms runs around $550,000!!!

Are their good supermarkets and shops near or aroudn CLover? I guess how rural is it? Do you think it will increase in value more then say Gastonia is NC? The developer has some similiar housing developments there.
I am sorry to hear about your CFS Here is some things for you to think about...if you have heard that there is a great CFS dr. in Charlotte...will you have medical insurance?....if so...if you live in SC will it cover you in NC? Since we are so close to NC there is medical insurance that does cover both states (seamless) but just something to think about. Comparing Gastonia to Clover...is like night and day. Gastonia is much larger than Clover and most times what comes with larger cities is more crime (and that is not to say that Gastonia is all bad...just something to be aware of). Myself...if hubby traveled alot I would feel safer in Clover than Gastonia...but that is my own opinion. Your taxes will be more in Gastonia, NC vs. Clover, SC. There are grocery stores and shops in Clover with only more to come in the very near future (but I am sure nothing like you are use to now). You might also take a look at the Charlotte Observer (today's Sunday edition..which can be viewed online) where they have an article on the growth in and around Charlotte. I think no matter where you purchase a home (Clover, SC or Gastonia, NC...or anywhere else that is within a easy driving distance to Charlotte it is going to go up in value). Some other areas you might take a look at: Fort Mill, SC - Concord, NC - Matthews, NC. Of course the best thing is....if you can take a look at the areas yourself...heck you might not like any of them

Old 05-21-2006, 09:44 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,415 times
hey lovethecarolinas,

Got a question for you. On another forum at another web site someone from FL. moved to Greer, SC and was moving back to FL. because the grocery stores, and eating out was to expensive. Also complained about low wages, and of all things no parks to walk his dog walk. You live in SC. What do you think? Is all that true? I discount the parks complaint of course

Thanks

Mark

Old 05-22-2006, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks
hey lovethecarolinas,

Got a question for you. On another forum at another web site someone from FL. moved to Greer, SC and was moving back to FL. because the grocery stores, and eating out was to expensive. Also complained about low wages, and of all things no parks to walk his dog walk. You live in SC. What do you think? Is all that true? I discount the parks complaint of course

Thanks

Mark
I really just believe that it depends on the person...the person you read about for various reasons did not like Greer...on the other hand you or someone else could go to Greer and love it (and you might not like Florida?) I would strongly suggest that you some how...some way come and take a look for yourself before you move. You can do all the research you what and look at all kinds of pictures...but what if you get back here...and for whatever reason it is not what you expected? My parents moved to Charlotte from So. CA (sight unseen) and while it did take them a little time to adjust (they are in their 70's) they are glad they made the move now. Some of the things I remember when we moved here...thinking the groceries were a bit more expensive. Some of the items I remember that stuck out the most-pricewise: meat (along with cuts of meat that I had never heard of...and cuts of meat we had in CA that they have never heard of back here), produce (but where I live now we can go pick our own strawberries and peaches), and soda. Again this will depend on the area you are looking at...but I can also remember thinking that I had a lot more selections of restaurants to eat at locally and the prices were better here (people love to go out and eat around here). As you mention..you discount what the person said about parks....I find that there is so much more for us and our kids to do than we had back in CA (including parks). While our history is interesting in CA...it does not compare to what this part of the country holds. What I find funny is...most historical places are way off the beaten track, and most only take donations...while if we had these same places in CA....they would have some how managed to pick up the whole thing and then move it to a more commercial friendly location (right next to a freeway)...then of course they would need to start charging an admission fee, adding rides and concession stands. Regarding low wages...on an average the wages are lower in SC than CA (not true in our case though...so there again it depends on the situation). South Carolina is a Right to Work state and also there is no minimun wage. But also keep in mind the housing market is cheaper. Hope that helped you in some way.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:28 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,415 times
Lovethecarolinas,

It did alot thanks so much.

Mark

Old 05-24-2006, 01:05 PM

Default good point

I did not think about the helath insurance. My hubby has great coverage but I will have to ask about the state issue-mayve it would still be covered but out of network. Is their good medical care near Clover in SC? I heard Clover was safer then west of Charlotte..so I am glad to hear that the advice is the same from someone else!!! Clover is safe though right? I guess I did not even think about that b/c we live near a big city now and you always have to be careful. Yes I heard their is a great cfs dr. in Charlotte-one of the reasons we are looking at that area instead of Raleigh. Thanks for the other areas-I will look into some of those developments. We plan on looking in Aug. so I am just trying to narrow down our areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties