Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:23 AM

28 posts, read 78,005 times

Advertisements

I live in Indian Land and heard from two different people that there is going to be a huge retail shopping center across from Sun City on 521 that will be larger than the shopping at Blakeney; is this true? When is the expected date of start-up/completion? Where do I find information about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 06:49 AM

564 posts, read 1,460,130 times
I do not think it is going to be bigger then Blakeney but have been told it is on hold with no firm plans to start up by the broker of an anchor store.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 AM

Where did you find information about it? I haven't seen anything in the papers. Have the articles been in the Observer?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:34 AM

564 posts, read 1,460,130 times
There were local articles a couple years ago but I have not seen anything lately. I know several Comercial real estate brokers that are very well versed in the area. Crossland was the developer originally. I am not sure if there is any updated info in print anywhere.

http://www.crosland.com/images/retail/Cornerstone-Rendering-2.jpg (broken link)
Cornerstone

Located at the next largest commercial intersection south of Ballantyne in Charlotte, North Carolina, Cornerstone will comprise 800,000+ square feet of retail and a 40-acre office/medical component. This dynamic shopping center will be located directly across Highway 521 from Sun City at Carolina Lakes, a Del Webb community, proposing over 3,300 homes on 1,230 acres surrounding ten lakes. Cornerstone will include large format retailers, as well as many specialty shops, restaurants and entertainment.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:02 PM

10 posts, read 25,698 times
Default Thinking of moving to SunCity Lake Carolina

My hubby is near retirement and I am still in my early 50's. We are planning to visit the Sun City Lake Carolina community this summer.
Currently, we are living in an active adult community in NJ and would like to move to a more affortable state but with the same ammenities.
We have never been there before but heard from a friend of us who has a 2nd home in Bluffton.
We would like to check out Sun City in Fort MIll and Bluffton too. I lean towards Fort Mill because of it's closeness to Charlotte. I am looking at the following conditions and hope someone who live in Sun City can forward more details on the community.

1) Property Tax
2) Sales Tax; I was told S.C tax on everything, is it true?
3) What is the average of monthly sewege, utility and water bill for a 2 bed & 2 bath?
4) Any public transport to Charlotte
5) Is it very buggy in the summer?
6) How is the builder at Sun City? We have some problems with our builder in the past for defects.

Thanks for all your response.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:35 PM

425 posts, read 1,575,162 times
Hi. My parents always thought they were going to end up in Sun City but decided on a new community in NC .It is called Baileys Glen in Cornelius you might want to check it out. Very beautiful. Bigger lots, less houses. Very close to Lake Norman. Sun city is very nice too. just another option.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:27 PM

10 posts, read 25,698 times
Thanks, I will check it out.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:06 AM

If I were you, I wouln't locate anywhere in Mecklenberg County (Charlotte, NC) since taxes are high; besides, people are complaining since there was a major re-assessment to fill a budget shortfall. I would go to Sun City in South Carolina where the property taxes are about half the price and you are still within 20 miles of Charlotte (uptown).

Although you don't have to go uptown if you don't choose, you are within a nice driving distance to Ballantyne (South Charlotte) for shopping and dining. South Carolina, in general, has fewer amenities such as roads and shopping options, but in the Lancaster Couty panhandle (where Sun City is located) you are close to the shopping and dining of the South Charlotte area.

In answer to your question about sales tax on everything; yes, there is tax on everything but I believe the tax on food is only 1% in/ South Carolina. Tax in Mecklenberg County, NC (South Charlotte area) is 8.25%! I'd really think twice about locating to Charlotte/Mecklenberg County, since Lancaster County, South Carolina is so close.

Look at a map of the Charlotte Metro region; that may help you with your geography. As you will soon discover, Charlotte, NC actually spills over into the South Carolina border. Although it isn't technically called Charlotte, since there is no Charlotte in SC, it is considered the Charlotte Metro area.

The Charlotte Metro area encompasses a large geographic area which includes Fort Mill, Indian Land and Rock Hill South Carolina. The whole area is somewhere around 2 million people, so you have plenty of choices in South Carolina to avoid the high property taxes of Charlotte/Mecklenberg County proper.

The answer to your public transportation to Charlotte question; that would be a "yes". I would tell you there is a light rail train that you would have to drive about 15 miles to catch. The train is in Pineville, NC and goes all the way uptown Charlotte. It costs a nominal fee and is fun to do.

In answer to the question about bugs; that answer would also be a resounding "yes". Remember, we are in the Deep South. It's hot and dry, but the weather sure beats the snow and ice of the North. It's beautiful here this time of year, though. Mosquitoes abound, but are different from the ones up North. You get the false sense of security that you aren't being bitten (since you don't feel them biting you) until the next morning.

Our summers here, contrary to what you might think, have lower humidity than you porbably get up North. Last summer was very dry (in precipitation) and relative humidity. Here in Indian Land, we have prickly pear and aloe verde cactus thriving! You may envision live oaks with moss hanging everywhere; drive 180 miles to Charleston to see that.

As far as water and sewer bills; I don't live in Sun City but I do live up the road 5 miles (in Lancaster County) and my water bills are high. Water is very expensive down here. I think it's more expensive than it was up North.

As you can see, you will have to do a bit more research to get your own perspective. I love Indian Land, SC (near Sun City) for the low property taxes, close proximity to Charlotte and most of all mild weather. We get more sun here than up North.

I hope that helps you.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:51 AM

If I were you, I wouln't locate anywhere in Mecklenberg County (Charlotte, NC) since taxes are high; besides, people are complaining since there was a major re-assessment to fill a budget shortfall. I would go to Sun City in South Carolina where the property taxes are about half the price and you are still within 20 miles of Charlotte (uptown).

Although you don't have to go uptown if you don't choose, you are within a nice driving distance to Ballantyne (South Charlotte) for shopping and dining. South Carolina, in general, has fewer amenities such as roads and shopping options, but in the Lancaster Couty panhandle (where Sun City is located) you are close to the shopping and dining of the South Charlotte area.

In answer to your question about sales tax on everything; yes, there is tax on everything but I believe the tax on food is only 1% in/ South Carolina. Tax in Mecklenberg County, NC (South Charlotte area) is 8.25%! I'd really think twice about locating to Charlotte/Mecklenberg County, since Lancaster County, South Carolina is so close.

Look at a map of the Charlotte Metro region; that may help you with your geography. As you will soon discover, Charlotte, NC actually spills over into the South Carolina border. Although it isn't technically called Charlotte, since there is no Charlotte in SC, it is considered the Charlotte Metro area.

The Charlotte Metro area encompasses a large geographic area which includes Fort Mill, Indian Land and Rock Hill South Carolina. The whole area is somewhere around 2 million people, so you have plenty of choices in South Carolina to avoid the high property taxes of Charlotte/Mecklenberg County proper.

The answer to your public transportation to Charlotte question; that would be a "yes". I would tell you there is a light rail train that you would have to drive about 15 miles to catch. The train is in Pineville, NC and goes all the way uptown Charlotte. It costs a nominal fee and is fun to do.

In answer to the question about bugs; that answer would also be a resounding "yes". Remember, we are in the Deep South. It's hot and dry, but the weather sure beats the snow and ice of the North. It's beautiful here this time of year, though. Mosquitoes abound, but are different from the ones up North. You get the false sense of security that you aren't being bitten (since you don't feel them biting you) until the next morning.

Our summers here, contrary to what you might think, have lower humidity than you porbably get up North. Last summer was very dry (in precipitation) and relative humidity. Here in Indian Land, we have prickly pear and aloe verde cactus thriving! You may envision live oaks with moss hanging everywhere; drive 180 miles to Charleston to see that.

As far as water and sewer bills; I don't live in Sun City but I do live up the road 5 miles (in Lancaster County) and my water bills are high. Water is very expensive down here. I think it's more expensive than it was up North.

As you can see, you will have to do a bit more research to get your own perspective. I love Indian Land, SC (near Sun City) for the low property taxes, close proximity to Charlotte and most of all mild weather. We get more sun here than up North.

I hope that helps you.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:58 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,332,643 times
Default Update on new stores - April, 2011

What's new building in the Wal-Mart area of Indian Land? I've heard Chik-Fil-A and Cracker Barrell...anyone know the scoop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties