Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 08:47 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,882,732 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to mention that I had an excellent experience with the Lancaster DMV last week.

DH and I spent a week at our new home getting ready for me to move down there soon. I set aside one full day for changing over my car registration and driver's license because I figured that's what it would take. Imagine my surprise when it took almost as long for me to drive from SCCL to Lancaster than it did to do everything else (after I left the insurance agent)!

Insurance Office -- 1 hour getting things faxed from PA and getting everything changed over.
Tax Office -- About 10 minutes total first getting my personal property bill then moving over to the second office to pay it. No lines at all.
DMV -- Waited in the reception line about 2-3 minutes because guy in front of me didn't have everything he needed. Talk to reception for about 30 seconds and didn't even get to sit down before they called my number! It did take about 15 minutes to get everything done at the window, but had absolutely NO problems at all! I was even smiling when I left and in a good mood.....imagine that!

The key to this is to first go to the SC DMV website (click on section named "Moving to SC") and print out all the forms that you need and have them filled in ahead of time. I also printed out a copy of the acceptable required documents and made sure I had everything I needed from there. I handed the woman my forms, PA driver's license, PA car title, passport, SS card, and two proofs of residency (checking account statement & house insurance declarations page/payment) and she took it from there. I walked out with a brand new driver's license and a pretty new license plate for my car! I was amazed that I got a real license plate and not a temporary cardboard one.

Now I can't wait to get me moved down there!! DH is staying here until this house sells and then renting a place until he finds a job down there. Really hoping that we sell soon as I would love to get the mortgage paid off right away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 08:57 AM

107 posts, read 319,978 times
Wow, that's wonderful to read about such a good experience at the DMV! I'm surprised there is no written test to take. When we initially moved to NC from NY we (wife and I) had to take the test again. While not a particular hardship it was another "ugh" moment. So, based on your experience I'll make sure to have that paperwork handy.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-05-2008, 11:30 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,882,732 times
I had to do an eye test, that's all. Read one line in the little machine. I was also totally amazed that it was only $64 for everything, including transfer of car title. In PA I would have had to pay almost $70 just to renew my license and registration! Of course the killer was the $134 I had to pay in personal property tax on the car.......that sucked big time.

As I understand it, if your out of state license has expired you DO have to take the test. Or it might kick into effect if you have any violations/points on your record. There are questions on the form about that. I didn't, so it didn't affect me.

My license in PA was set to expire in July, so that's why I did it now. Didn't feel like giving PA $30 and then turn around in a month or so give SC more. Plus I like the fact that the SC license is good for 10 years (under age 65)! Money grubbing PA demands their share every 4 years. Same with car.....PA registration was going to expire in September, so figured I might as well do it all together and save another trip.

Hmmmm.....wonder if I renew my license BEFORE I turn 65 in July, 2018 if they will give it to me for another 10 years or if I will be stuck with 5?

Old 06-05-2008, 05:08 PM

444 posts, read 1,650,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I just wanted to mention that I had an excellent experience with the Lancaster DMV last week.

DH and I spent a week at our new home getting ready for me to move down there soon. I set aside one full day for changing over my car registration and driver's license because I figured that's what it would take. Imagine my surprise when it took almost as long for me to drive from SCCL to Lancaster than it did to do everything else (after I left the insurance agent)!

Insurance Office -- 1 hour getting things faxed from PA and getting everything changed over.
Tax Office -- About 10 minutes total first getting my personal property bill then moving over to the second office to pay it. No lines at all.
DMV -- Waited in the reception line about 2-3 minutes because guy in front of me didn't have everything he needed. Talk to reception for about 30 seconds and didn't even get to sit down before they called my number! It did take about 15 minutes to get everything done at the window, but had absolutely NO problems at all! I was even smiling when I left and in a good mood.....imagine that!

The key to this is to first go to the SC DMV website (click on section named "Moving to SC") and print out all the forms that you need and have them filled in ahead of time. I also printed out a copy of the acceptable required documents and made sure I had everything I needed from there. I handed the woman my forms, PA driver's license, PA car title, passport, SS card, and two proofs of residency (checking account statement & house insurance declarations page/payment) and she took it from there. I walked out with a brand new driver's license and a pretty new license plate for my car! I was amazed that I got a real license plate and not a temporary cardboard one.

Now I can't wait to get me moved down there!! DH is staying here until this house sells and then renting a place until he finds a job down there. Really hoping that we sell soon as I would love to get the mortgage paid off right away!
It was great meeting you the other day! Thank you for this post as we have not taken the necessary steps to get our things done. I will keep this post and use it when I finally get around to making the changes needed.

Look forward to seeing you again when you are next at SCCL.

Dunroven

Old 06-07-2008, 09:36 AM

9 posts, read 28,231 times
Default Sccl

Me too, close on June 20 and will be in the Q Pod

Old 06-07-2008, 09:38 AM

9 posts, read 28,231 times
Will be doing DMV 6/23 so let's hope for the same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties