Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:06 AM

37 posts, read 131,264 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Not sure if this can be discussed on this forum, but we are moving to the area at the end of the month and need a good bank in the area. We are not interested in paying a lot of fees, but require free online bill pay and good access to atms. Unfortunately, our bank in NY does not have branches in the area.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 09:33 AM

187 posts, read 549,150 times
I'll discuss it since I'm not an employee of this particular bank and have no interest in it whatsoever, but I bank with BB&T (I used them back home in Virginia briefly in the 90s, and my father has been with them since), and I've had pretty good experiences with them. Their hours are more than acceptable, and their customer service people are usually pretty nice.

They have branches in Fort Mill, Pineville/Charlotte (if you head up that way for work), Clover and Rock Hill.

If there's anything further I can help with, shoot me a DM and I'll tell you what (honestly, little) I know. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:51 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
My fiance has BBT as well and its good. Free checking etc

Old 06-06-2008, 09:53 AM

107 posts, read 319,544 times
I'll second BB&T. I opened a free checking account with them and I haven't had any problems or mysterious fees added so far. The bill pay is included in their free package.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:34 PM

259 posts, read 797,793 times
Hi!

I would put my vote in for Wachovia! I contacted a service rep while I was still up north and arranged to open both checking and savings accounts before we got down. They were wonderful to deal with and overnighted our checking and savings account books to us.

They have branches all over. My suggestion is to go to their website and select the branch nearest where you will be living and give them a call. I have had no problems with any of the accounts there.

I also have had some dealings with BB&T because of a construction loan and mortgage and find them very good too.

I think the major banks down here are very used to helping transplants get settled and go out of their way to help.

Good luck.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 6,489 times
Hi, what part of NY are you from .. I bank at the South Carolina Bank & Trust... very friendly people, only downside - no Saturdays and they close by 5 pm M-TH..Friday open until 6pm.

I moved from Long Island, NY - 8 months ago..and I am really enjoying Fort Mill.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:50 AM

Hi DebbieG34,

We are moving from Massapequa Park at the end of the month. We bought a place in baxter. Where are you originally from on LI?

As far as the bank, does that bank offer online bill pay etc. and are the fees under control?

Thanks

Old 06-08-2008, 05:09 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,863 times
We went with Wachovia for the one reason is that we can transfer funds between our account down there and our account up here in PA. Needed that ability and they were the only ones doing it. Their online banking seems to be easy to navigate and works fine. Customer support is OK, but not spectacular.

That said, we did have several problems with them. We wanted to transfer $5000 in funds from account up here, but they only allowed $2000/day, but it had to clear before I could initiate another one. Plus it took 5 days to clea (rather slow, I think). So it took me almost 3 weeks to put the money in. It shouldn't be THAT hard to GIVE money to a bank!

We also wanted items sent up here, but several times they sent items to our address down there, and the PO is extremely slow in forwarding mail. Finally got our PINs two months later. One box of checks (which got screwed up in the printing) has totally disappeared.......not shipped here, not forwarded, not down there.....hopefully it got returned to Wachovia. When I mentiioned this to customer service, they acted like it was no big thing.

The DO have a lot of branches, so that would be no problem. But then again, so does BB&T. I think I would stick with one of them. Although smaller banks are nice, I find lately that they are in a constant state of merging or being bought out by someone else and it's a royal pain to have to keep changing info all the time. I just decided to stick with larger ones.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:57 AM

Default banks

Thank you everyone for your input!! I will look into the banks that were mentioned.

Have a nice day!!

Old 06-12-2008, 09:13 PM

28 posts, read 83,847 times
I would vote for Wachovia. I have been with them for over 20 years....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties