U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,534 times

Advertisements

Hi!!

Can anyone please give me some feedback on Indian Land Elementary School?
(middle/high school as well)
Would love to know positives and negatives. Everything I see number wise is not that great, but I know the area is growing so fast.High end development is springing up, so I wonder if you think the schools are on the right track to improve. We are considering a move to the BridgeMill neighborhood, but I find the school district a little worrisome.

Thanks for all your help!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 02:31 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,888,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6shas View Post
Hi!!

Can anyone please give me some feedback on Indian Land Elementary School?
(middle/high school as well)
Would love to know positives and negatives. Everything I see number wise is not that great, but I know the area is growing so fast.High end development is springing up, so I wonder if you think the schools are on the right track to improve. We are considering a move to the BridgeMill neighborhood, but I find the school district a little worrisome.

Thanks for all your help!!

Boy this is a tough call. Indian Land is a great area. It use to be real quite there and rural...but the area is now exploding with growth..most of the growth having to do with its close proximity to South Charlotte (Ballantyne)...then throw the new Del Webb community into it...and you have a recipe for big changes. The folks in the area are trying their best to monitor the growth...but who knows.

In regards to the Indian Land schools...they are better than most of the other schools within the Lancaster school district...but yes...there is room for improvement. Not having a crystal ball to look into the future...my hope would be that the Indian Land schools will see a portion of all this new monies that's coming into the area and greatly benefit from it.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:02 PM

245 posts, read 982,124 times
I live in Lancaster County. I would say Indian Land Schools are good, but the area is growing so quickly the schools can't support the growth, therefore there are a lot of mobiles. Buford, McDonald Green and North Elementaries are also really good. Buford is experiencing a ton of growth too.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:53 AM

19 posts, read 62,485 times
Yes I just moved from Lancaster this past summer and my daughter went to Buford Elementary. Just look up the Elementary/Middle/High schools and take a look at the enrollment. I think the elementary is over 800 and the middle is half of that and the high school is around the same number. I am sure within a few years the middle and high schools will have to be looked at to be able to handle almost double of what they are used to having. The traffic is awful going to the elementary school in the morning with the middle school and high school being in the same line. Even though the high school turns in the other direction the middle and elementary are side by side.

The elementary school is really nice! I have a feeling they will out grow it real soon if they haven't already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamrasc View Post
I live in Lancaster County. I would say Indian Land Schools are good, but the area is growing so quickly the schools can't support the growth, therefore there are a lot of mobiles. Buford, McDonald Green and North Elementaries are also really good. Buford is experiencing a ton of growth too.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:16 AM

46 posts, read 200,724 times
There's a guide that the Charlotte Observer put out a few months back - I think it's called Living Here. There are scores for every school in the entire area.

I remember looking at Indian Land - I'm in Fort Mill now - and thinking that their scores (especially for elementary) were really not as bad as I thought. They're a little lower than FM, but I don't remember there being a huge gap?

I think that with all the development coming to the area, there's no way the schools won't improve. There is lots of $$ coming to Indian Land. I know people whose kids are in that school system, and they are pleased.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:18 PM

10 posts, read 28,231 times
Smile utilities in kershaw

i am now to this forum and new to sc- who does the electric in kershaw the town? Can you get high speed internet? Ive never had it before- always dial up- who handles the landline phones? ALSO, CAN YOU GET DIRECT TV? family from the south 2 generations ago- excited to return- they came to ohio to work in rubber factories in the teens.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:21 AM

251 posts, read 1,092,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcrew View Post
i am now to this forum and new to sc- who does the electric in kershaw the town? Can you get high speed internet? Ive never had it before- always dial up- who handles the landline phones? ALSO, CAN YOU GET DIRECT TV? family from the south 2 generations ago- excited to return- they came to ohio to work in rubber factories in the teens.
Seems like the wrong forum to answer this question, but I'll do it anyway. The town of Kershaw is served by Duke Energy. Some of the surrounding area gets power from Lynches River Electric CO-OP. High speed internet is provided by Comporium Cable. DSL is available from Windstream. Of course, Direct TV is available--it is a nationwide service and is available everywhere. Comporium is the local cable provider. Windstream is the landline phone provider.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:36 PM

825 posts, read 2,722,640 times
Indian Land (part of Lancaster Co.) are good schools. They population is smaller and more rural than York Co. so standardized tests may not be as reflective of this growing area.

Lancaster EAA School Report Cards 2007 - South Carolina Department of Education (http://ed.sc.gov/topics/researchandstats/schoolreportcard/2007/2901.html - broken link)

According to the current Carolina Gateway newspaper, Lancaster High received a high rating. Carolina Gateway's web site does not have the current issue.

Lancaster EAA School Report Cards 2007 - South Carolina Department of Education (http://ed.sc.gov/topics/researchandstats/schoolreportcard/2007/2901.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties