Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:27 PM

163 posts, read 586,348 times

Advertisements

Anyone know if you can water new sod daily? I know right now lawn watering is to be done on the weekend...odd/even days depending on house number...Just wasn't sure if there were any exceptions for new sod.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 06:38 PM

259 posts, read 797,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Anyone know if you can water new sod daily? I know right now lawn watering is to be done on the weekend...odd/even days depending on house number...Just wasn't sure if there were any exceptions for new sod.

TIA
We are about four weeks out from moving into a new home in York County and have been asking about putting down sod. From what I gather, we can hand water any time and can water as you mentioned with the sprinklers on Saturday or Sunday. There are no exceptions for new sod!

We are being advised NOT to put the new sod down because it needs water everyday and it is too hot and too much of it to hand water with a hose.

So, we will get seed and straw and probably do the sod in the fall if the water restrictions are off. Since more severe restrictions were on all last winter, I don't have much hope for a nice yard for a long while.

Good luck!

Old 06-09-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingdown View Post
We are about four weeks out from moving into a new home in York County and have been asking about putting down sod. From what I gather, we can hand water any time and can water as you mentioned with the sprinklers on Saturday or Sunday. There are no exceptions for new sod!

We are being advised NOT to put the new sod down because it needs water everyday and it is too hot and too much of it to hand water with a hose.

So, we will get seed and straw and probably do the sod in the fall if the water restrictions are off. Since more severe restrictions were on all last winter, I don't have much hope for a nice yard for a long while.

Good luck!
Thanks for your quick reply...My dh is out the door hand watering now..!

Our sod has been down for about a month...We finally had to cave and get it because the weeds were growing so tall through the straw...My husband tried to keep up with it with a weed waker..but it took 4 hours...Not interested in doing that every week either!

It is coming in pretty good..but could obviously use more water...We have Bermuda sod..

Thanks again!

Old 06-10-2008, 10:22 AM

6 posts, read 41,499 times
Default sod and seed

Hello!

We were recently advised by Pike Nursery *not* to seed or sod at this time because even if the grass begins to grow, the roots will not grow deep enough in this weather. They advised waiting until fall (or early spring). We were disappointed to have missed the boat, but thankful not to waste the $ seeding and watering.

Good luck!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:49 PM

20 posts, read 76,126 times
does anyone know which type of grass (sod) is the most hardy and needs the least water? Fescue, Bermuda or Kentucky Bluegrass. What are the differences with them?

Old 06-14-2008, 01:07 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,799,729 times
My favorite is the Fescue. It's heat and traffic tolerant and when treated right it will stay nice and green throughout the year. Even in the drought conditions it will develop nice deep roots and work to stay green. I'm not a big fan of Bermudagrass which reminds me more of carpet and will turn brown in the winter.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitari View Post
does anyone know which type of grass (sod) is the most hardy and needs the least water? Fescue, Bermuda or Kentucky Bluegrass. What are the differences with them?
I heard Bermuda was...

I am more of a fan of Fescue...That said, I had to take what the builder was giving!!

Anyway....it is not so bad!! it has kinda grown on me

edited to say: no pun intended, lol

Old 06-17-2008, 05:31 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,345 times
Your Bermuda will go dormant in the winter - It is a shorter grass. Because it is shorter, it shows up lawn irregularities more than fescue.

Your fescue will go dormant when temperatures go/stay above 90. In the fall and spring you need to cut twice a week and set the lawnmower as high as it will go [4 inches is optimal]

A lot of folks like the Rebel fescues but my experinece with them is a lot of Dallis grass weeds in it.

If your neighbors have fescue they will not appreciate your Bermuda because it is VERY invasive and considered a major weed in fescue lawns

It is too hot here for Kentucky Bluegrass to grow well. You need a southerm blend. We are in the transition zone where grass is a challenge.

I think Spring is the best time for Bermuda planting and Fall is the best time for Fescue. Typically folks aerate and seed fescue right after Labor day.

One guy I knew who had a LOVELY lawn had Bermuda and overseeded it with cheap rye grass in the winter and it was always green. Rye grass is an annual so it won't compete and take over and dies when the Bermuda is coming in.

With Fescue you don't want to overwater as that encourages shallow roots - once it is established a good DEEP watering once a week [about 1" on a water guage] is about right.

I don't know how zoysia does but it is extremely drought tolerant.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:57 PM

63 posts, read 298,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I don't know how zoysia does but it is extremely drought tolerant.
The zoysia dies in the heat down here and will not make it past July even in the shade.

Clemson University is a great resource for turf grass or any other gardening information. I suggest ordering a soil sample kit for $15 to find out what your dealing with in your yard.
Landscape, Garden & Indoor Plants - HGIC @ Clemson University

Home Lawn Care Main Page Clemson University Turfgrass Program

Old 06-18-2008, 09:48 AM

20 posts, read 76,126 times
wow! Great info, grannynancy. That helps a lot with trying to figure it all out. I have a lot of research to do on plants since I'm used to being in Zone 4. I believe this area is zone 7?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties