U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 09:37 AM

26 posts, read 75,693 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I used to post on the Charlotte forum, but since we've mainly decided to stick with SC, I decided to come here. We are now looking at Clover as a possible place to relocate from Ohio to. We visited in December and checked out Fort Mill and Tega Cay in SC, and Waxhaw, and surrounding areas in North Carolina. Wish I would have known about Clover then. Anyway, we are a family of 5 looking for a 4bdrm/2bath home in the 150,000-200,000 range. Right now, we live in a town that is 99.5% white (not by choice, by circumstance.....been here since I was 5). I am looking forward to my kids being in a more culturally diverse atmosphere and I'm hoping Clover is a good choice without being too much of a culture shock for them. They are young enough that I think they will do great (7, 9, and 11). Also, wondering about the average price for things like:

loaf of bread
gallon of milk
case of Pepsi
pound of salami from deli
box of Chips Ahoy cookies
bag of Lays potato chips
dozen eggs
1/2 gallon of ice cream

If anyone can give me ballpark figures, I would much appreciate it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 09:46 AM

883 posts, read 2,248,737 times
Case of Pepsi!! Now that's a dead give-away - you better switch to Coke. LOL.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:30 AM

30 posts, read 96,408 times
Default good questions but

I am with Coke too

Old 01-24-2007, 10:50 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,798,411 times
oh ohpenfam...what am I going to do with you

Clover was never suggested to you before your trip..due to the fact that you stated on your original post that you already had it already narrowed down to Fort Mill, SC and Waxhaw, NC (or somewhere in Union County). Then once you came for a visit...all of a sudden you had your sites on Locust, NC (?). It was at the point (on Jan. 3rd) I suggested you check out Clover, SC due to the close proximity to your husband's work. So if you come out the next time and dis Clover, SC...I just don't think I will be able to take it....(okay...all of this is truly said in jest )

Now on to the important stuff:
bread: $2.50
gal milk: $3.39
case of Dr. Pepper: $2.99
deli salami: you must be speaking of bologna..and will you settle for the meat counter at the local grocery store?
Chips Ahoy Cookies: $2.50
Lays Chips: $2.50
Eggs: $1.29
Ice Cream: don't waste our time on 1/2 gallon...but for a gal $2.99

Now all of these are just apx. and can vary depending if on sale or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohpenfam View Post
Hi everyone. I used to post on the Charlotte forum, but since we've mainly decided to stick with SC, I decided to come here. We are now looking at Clover as a possible place to relocate from Ohio to. We visited in December and checked out Fort Mill and Tega Cay in SC, and Waxhaw, and surrounding areas in North Carolina. Wish I would have known about Clover then. Anyway, we are a family of 5 looking for a 4bdrm/2bath home in the 150,000-200,000 range. Right now, we live in a town that is 99.5% white (not by choice, by circumstance.....been here since I was 5). I am looking forward to my kids being in a more culturally diverse atmosphere and I'm hoping Clover is a good choice without being too much of a culture shock for them. They are young enough that I think they will do great (7, 9, and 11). Also, wondering about the average price for things like:

loaf of bread
gallon of milk
case of Pepsi
pound of salami from deli
box of Chips Ahoy cookies
bag of Lays potato chips
dozen eggs
1/2 gallon of ice cream

If anyone can give me ballpark figures, I would much appreciate it.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
oh ohpenfam...what am I going to do with you

Clover was never suggested to you before your trip..due to the fact that you stated on your original post that you already had it already narrowed down to Fort Mill, SC and Waxhaw, NC (or somewhere in Union County). Then once you came for a visit...all of a sudden you had your sites on Locust, NC (?). It was at the point (on Jan. 3rd) I suggested you check out Clover, SC due to the close proximity to your husband's work. So if you come out the next time and dis Clover, SC...I just don't think I will be able to take it....(okay...all of this is truly said in jest
ROFL! You got me. I'm soooooo stressed over this! I still like Locust the best if I have to go to North Carolina, but I just feel like South Carolina is the better option seeing all of the potential problems with the amounts of people moving in droves to NC. I did really like Fort Mill (but am looking for a smaller town) and Tega Cay, too (but the houses in our price range were either non-existant or waaaay too close together with 90 degree sloped driveways). And when I said "wish I would have known about Clover", I really meant it as "wish I would have RESEARCHED Clover" before we visited. You are very helpful to everyone on these boards and I, among others I'm sure, appreciate it immensly. So having said THAT:

You can get a case of Dr. Pepper for $2.99??? You mean as in 24 cans? Or are you quoting a 12 pack? The milk and eggs are similar. Our bread is $1.29/loaf so that's a big difference. Also, the ice cream? A 1/2 gallon of ice cream (which is the only size it comes in really) is like $6.00 here! And the salami.....LOL.....I really didn't mean bologna (ick). Do you not have hard salami? But either way, I really did mean the grocery store counter. We call it the "deli" but it's not really a deli store. I just meant sliced from the counter vs. packaged in the hot dog section, ya know?

Thanks again, and please don't give up on my yet!

Old 01-24-2007, 12:08 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,798,411 times
yeah sorry just had to rib you a bit (glad you took it so well).

In regard to the droves that are moving to NC....part of that is true around areas such as Charlotte and Tri-State...I gotta tell ya though...I really don't think their breaking any doors down to get to Locust, NC. Speaking for just the past couple of years...you are more than likely going to see a bigger increase in population in Clover, SC than Locust, NC (so it just depends on where in the Carolina's your looking). Okay with that now being said....Girl...IMO..you need a really good realtor...to save you from some of this stress your havin!

Okay I blew it on the DP....I was speaking of a 12 pack.
I was kidding on the bologna (but they do have grilled Bologna sandwiches here.... )
Salami...I haven't bought any in some time...but alot of the meat seems to go for around $6 to $7 dollars a pound at places like Harris Teeter

http://evic.harristeeter.com/HT_eVIC...dex.jsp?ID3332

Give up on ya?....Never!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohpenfam View Post
ROFL! You got me. I'm soooooo stressed over this! I still like Locust the best if I have to go to North Carolina, but I just feel like South Carolina is the better option seeing all of the potential problems with the amounts of people moving in droves to NC. I did really like Fort Mill (but am looking for a smaller town) and Tega Cay, too (but the houses in our price range were either non-existant or waaaay too close together with 90 degree sloped driveways). And when I said "wish I would have known about Clover", I really meant it as "wish I would have RESEARCHED Clover" before we visited. You are very helpful to everyone on these boards and I, among others I'm sure, appreciate it immensly. So having said THAT:

You can get a case of Dr. Pepper for $2.99??? You mean as in 24 cans? Or are you quoting a 12 pack? The milk and eggs are similar. Our bread is $1.29/loaf so that's a big difference. Also, the ice cream? A 1/2 gallon of ice cream (which is the only size it comes in really) is like $6.00 here! And the salami.....LOL.....I really didn't mean bologna (ick). Do you not have hard salami? But either way, I really did mean the grocery store counter. We call it the "deli" but it's not really a deli store. I just meant sliced from the counter vs. packaged in the hot dog section, ya know?

Thanks again, and please don't give up on my yet!

Old 01-24-2007, 02:07 PM

Thanks so much for the link to Harris Teeter (and for not giving up on me...LOL). That was a big help. I think everything looks pretty similar to here. The biggest difference would be the sales tax on groceries since we don't have that here. Also, I noticed I would still be able to get my favorite potato chips (Cape Cod) down south so that made me happy. I will NEVER switch to Coke, though. I didn't see any Pepsi in the circular however....ROFL!

Old 01-25-2007, 04:50 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,666,913 times
Though I enjoy both Pepsi and Coke, I'm a definate Pepsi man . Anyway, my brother's children go to Clover schools and they couldn't be happier. Very good area! Now that Hwy. 49 has been widened, the drive into Charlotte is not bad. Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>