Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 08:47 PM

20 posts, read 76,145 times

Advertisements

Where do I have to go in York county to get this stuff? I'm in Fort Mill and I have to get my DL before my birthday since my MN one expires. Unfortunately I'll have to get an address change done a month later. Any idea how much that costs? We also are going to hold off on registering the cars here since we have to wait for a title to be released from IL.

I read something about going to a tax something before going to the DMV? What is the location of that too?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 08:42 AM

225 posts, read 689,795 times
This is the one I go to from Fort Mill, it has all the necessary offices in the same location. Tax accessors and Collector, city clerk. and
Motor Vehicles Division
(803) 909-7161
1070 Heckle Blvd, #100, Rock Hill, SC 29732

Usually pretty quick service. Call to get the information you need to bring so you don't make a second trip. Good luck.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:11 PM

259 posts, read 798,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitari View Post
Where do I have to go in York county to get this stuff? I'm in Fort Mill and I have to get my DL before my birthday since my MN one expires. Unfortunately I'll have to get an address change done a month later. Any idea how much that costs? We also are going to hold off on registering the cars here since we have to wait for a title to be released from IL.

I read something about going to a tax something before going to the DMV? What is the location of that too?

Thank you.
Hello!

I have had a lot of experience doing the above tasks because I have moved twice in the past year. When we first moved to SC, I used the Heckle DMV (Rock Hill) because of the fact they were next door to the car tax office which you need to do first.

I had a major problem getting a leased vehicle registered because I could not get the original title sent to me. I finally ended up at the Hands Mills DMV (I think it is referred to as the Newport office which is out Celanese Rd in Rock Hill) and asked for a title in suspense (the local car dealer told me to ask for this). That way the DMV dealt with title company, not me. The Heckle office never told me in the four months I tried to register my car that I could solve the problem that way. Also, the Hands Mill office is not as crowded as Heckle and they knew exactly what I was asking for.

I strongly suggest you look up all of the paperwork needed on the SCDMV website before you go. It helps to have everything with you! They ended up not accepting my birth certificate (which I had just used to get my Social Security!) and I had to file for a new one.

I just completed changing to our new address online. To get a new driver's license sent, you pay $10 and fill out the form on line. They will also send a new registration. They remind you that you need to change your voter registration and have a link to a website to get a form for that. Hopefully that process will work for us!

Good luck and feel free to direct message me if you need any more info. I have a thread on this process if you want to look it up.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:32 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
You have to pay personal property tax on your car based on its estimated value. The tag fee is on top of the tax.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:28 AM

30 posts, read 177,999 times
If you get a driver's license with your SC address, you do not have to get a new drivers license with the new SC address when you move. I was ticketed for this and beat it in court with the SC regulations (this was news to the York police and the judge).

You do have to notify SC DMV of the address change (no charge) but are not required to update your documentation (license).

Old 08-28-2008, 07:55 PM

20 posts, read 76,145 times
Thank you all for all your help! I made sure I brought in my Birth Cert., MN license, Marriage Cert., SS card, Passport, proof of insurance, and forwarded official mail from MN. No problems with the license and I'm going to wait on the cars until I get the paperwork and do the move. I went to the office on Hands Mill and everyone was so nice and the wait was nothing.

Does anyone know if the MN title is enough or if I need the registrations as well?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:21 AM

55 posts, read 152,110 times
what methods of payment do they accept?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties