U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 11:34 AM

58 posts, read 248,659 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find out if anyone has engineered wood flooring in their home and if they have any problems with it. I have it in my townhome and since I moved in I have not been satisfied with the quality of the floor. It has a hazy, filmy,cloudy look to it and when walked on leaves footprints. I am trying to see how I can fix this problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 12:16 PM

622 posts, read 1,679,140 times
The problem is symptomatic of someone using OrangeGLO floor cleaner on the floor (this product should be banned). It is a problem that many people are having.

Here is what worked for me. Mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/2 gallon of warm water. Using a dishtowel, or something similar, wipe the floor (sorry, it's best to do it on your hands and knees) with the damp rag (do not get excess water on the floor), rinse with a damp rag with water only, and towel dry. Try this is on a small area and see if the sheen comes back. If this takes care of the problem continue cleaning the floor.

I used ZEP hardwood floor cleaner on the finished product and it looks great. Again, try this in a small area to make sure you are satisfied before doing the entire floor.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:52 PM

Default Engineered flooring

Thank you for your reply. Only Bruce DuraLuster was used on this floor. At least that it what I was using. After I was told to use this by the builder, I found out that it is not a Bruce floor, but a Mohawk floor. The builder will not be responsible and fix the problem.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:27 PM

3,627 posts, read 13,878,089 times
I have not had that problem but eventually all wood floors need refinishing and you are SOL after the first refinishing. I will never have an Engineered wood floor again - only real hardwood.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:42 PM

116 posts, read 526,315 times
We had this problem in our new home following using Bruce Hardwood Cleaner. We would leave prints for days and you could always see the doggy paws. A friend had his floors cleaned by his cleaning service and was surprised to see them using a product from Target call Quick Shine Professional floor cleaner by Halloway House. It is available at all Targets. We purchased a bottle (reminds me of an old mop and glo bottle) for about $5. I have used it ever since. Our floors are almost mirror clean with no build up, no hazing, and no footprints. Also the day we first used it was the day after I had mopped the floor with Bruce. I had to rinse the dirt off of the mop 5 times while mopping. Apparently the Bruce cleaner does not do a great job of cleaning. We have been using this product for over 8 months and several of our friends in the area have started as well. By far the best for cleaning your engineered (or non-engineered) wood floors.

There is also a polish you can purchase that made our floors so "polished" the dogs couldn't stand up on it. The floors looked great but a little too slick so we have not repeated that.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:46 PM

Default Engineered Flooring

Thanks for the suggestions. I was afraid to try anything else fearing that it would void the warranty. I will look into that product at Target and try it on a small area. I am still waiting to hear from the Mohawk people with their suggestions. Thanks again

Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 AM
MOC

57 posts, read 182,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nypat View Post
I am trying to find out if anyone has engineered wood flooring in their home and if they have any problems with it. I have it in my townhome and since I moved in I have not been satisfied with the quality of the floor. It has a hazy, filmy,cloudy look to it and when walked on leaves footprints. I am trying to see how I can fix this problem.
I just tried the Quick Shine Floor Finish by Halloway House that someone recommended and the floors look great. My floors are new and had that hazy look too. I had to get it in CVS. The Target store didn't have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties