Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:33 PM

225 posts, read 717,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulamb View Post
Here's my strategy: If it's REALLY backed up, move to the left, skip the entrance ramp, and take a left on 21. Then get on at Sutton Road. Much less stress.

I'm just glad that they changed the I77 exit so that there are two lanes now and it's not illegal to take a right at the light onto Celanese.

Your right on man, have been doing that and couldn't agree more. Let the morons fight it out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,920 times
I'm one of the people that believes firmly in the line method, and I don't think it would stretch back to York. From what I've seen easily 90%-95% of the cars that exit onto I77N and I77S are the ones in the line. That 5-10% of aggressive cutting drivers creates a huge hazard on the road and makes what is otherwise a crowded space a crowded and very dangerous space.

Where I come from in Oregon, if you want to merge into a packed lane you put on your turn signal (therefore broadcasting your intent) and wait until someone opens up a spot for you and lets you in. It may not be immediately, but someone will always let you in if you play nice. Accelerating and stopping violently to slice your car into a small gap of space (likely some other driver's buffer/safety zone) is a dangerous and irresponsible way to drive and puts the drivers around you at risk.

I don't think the road plans were engineered for both lanes to equally contribute to I77N, as one poster mentioned. If that were the case there would be a turn option (with on-ramp merge) for the second lane, and there most definitely is not the case. Look at it on a map.

I'm not saying the traffic engineering at this interchange is ideal, and I would go so far as to say it's fairly sub-optimal considering the whole design (Cherry rd. included), but it is the way it is and we all have to live with it.

Saying that lines of cars are not 100% efficient (from a network flow perspective) is a fair statement, but what they do provide is an equitable system by which people that came first can go first. It's a closed system with a clear order and therefore low risk/danger. The current system of near-miss crashes and aggressive driving is far from an optimal environment and is flat out dangerous to all involved.

To make the argument that queue lines are slightly inefficient and therefore there should be a cut-over lane is similar to saying that the lines on the freeway should be removed so more cars can be packed onto the physical surface area. A handful of extra cars per minute just doesn't make sense when the loss of order and subsequent danger is taken into account.

On another point, what is up with the lack of turn signal usage? Oregon isn't exactly the Utopia of driving, but compared to back home the drivers around here drive like a pack of wild idiots. Everywhere is dangerous (speeding like crazy, running red lights, pulling in front of people, etc.).

Old 08-29-2008, 08:32 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,461,526 times
What a great post, discoinferno! I couldnt agree more. Your arguement for the "line method" of getting onto I77N is right on.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:16 AM

348 posts, read 1,362,412 times
I know this issue has been discussed to death, but there was a nice accident at this spot this morning...people please, you know you have to be in the right lane...stop waiting until the last second to move over...You are putting us all at risk for accidents and delays getting where we need to be.

And yes I am one of those people that won't let you in...You knew you had to be over there, not my problem that you didn't get in line like the rest of us!!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:49 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,284,611 times
This happens on India Hook Road approaching the Celenease Intersection as well. The race all the wat down then always have to cut in. Where do you learn that type of driving?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:43 AM

174 posts, read 503,316 times
Half the time they are talking on their cell phone and don't realize they have to get over - then they cut in without even a turn signal because it's too hard to signal while phoning. Just a couple of weeks ago, I was in the right lane, nobody behind me, but the idiot next to me had to get in FRONT of me. I either slowed down or got my front fender mashed. Oh how I wish I drove an old "beater" sometimes!

Old 07-21-2009, 05:05 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,284,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulamb View Post
Half the time they are talking on their cell phone and don't realize they have to get over - then they cut in without even a turn signal because it's too hard to signal while phoning. Just a couple of weeks ago, I was in the right lane, nobody behind me, but the idiot next to me had to get in FRONT of me. I either slowed down or got my front fender mashed. Oh how I wish I drove an old "beater" sometimes!

I wish I had my old chevy citation for that. I'd say go ahead hit me with your BMW.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:12 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,552,377 times
May I add Gold Hill Road entrance ramp to I-77 North. Samething, will hit your car to push in, instead of having the grace and patience to wait in line like the rest of the folks. So now? I have a good sized pickup truck. I'm right on the white line, no way can they cut over in front of me. Now if I see someone who has pulled out of a side street and needs to get over to the lane to make the freeway, I do let them over.

No one is better than anyone else. No one's job/school is more important than anyone else. Get in line, wait your turn. It's simple common courtesy. No wonder insurance in SC is sky rocket high.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:15 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,552,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoinfero View Post
I'm one of the people that believes firmly in the line method, and I don't think it would stretch back to York. From what I've seen easily 90%-95% of the cars that exit onto I77N and I77S are the ones in the line. That 5-10% of aggressive cutting drivers creates a huge hazard on the road and makes what is otherwise a crowded space a crowded and very dangerous space.

Where I come from in Oregon, if you want to merge into a packed lane you put on your turn signal (therefore broadcasting your intent) and wait until someone opens up a spot for you and lets you in. It may not be immediately, but someone will always let you in if you play nice. Accelerating and stopping violently to slice your car into a small gap of space (likely some other driver's buffer/safety zone) is a dangerous and irresponsible way to drive and puts the drivers around you at risk.

I don't think the road plans were engineered for both lanes to equally contribute to I77N, as one poster mentioned. If that were the case there would be a turn option (with on-ramp merge) for the second lane, and there most definitely is not the case. Look at it on a map.

I'm not saying the traffic engineering at this interchange is ideal, and I would go so far as to say it's fairly sub-optimal considering the whole design (Cherry rd. included), but it is the way it is and we all have to live with it.

Saying that lines of cars are not 100% efficient (from a network flow perspective) is a fair statement, but what they do provide is an equitable system by which people that came first can go first. It's a closed system with a clear order and therefore low risk/danger. The current system of near-miss crashes and aggressive driving is far from an optimal environment and is flat out dangerous to all involved.

To make the argument that queue lines are slightly inefficient and therefore there should be a cut-over lane is similar to saying that the lines on the freeway should be removed so more cars can be packed onto the physical surface area. A handful of extra cars per minute just doesn't make sense when the loss of order and subsequent danger is taken into account.

On another point, what is up with the lack of turn signal usage? Oregon isn't exactly the Utopia of driving, but compared to back home the drivers around here drive like a pack of wild idiots. Everywhere is dangerous (speeding like crazy, running red lights, pulling in front of people, etc.).
Yeah the merging thing....when I first moved to the Charlotte metro area I was stunned, simply stunned, how people enter the freeway's here. They don't wait for a spot, they expect you to come to a stop to let them in.
I think it's why 77 has so many wrecks here.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:10 AM

348 posts, read 1,362,412 times
I had a man start screaming out his car window at me getting off exit 82 in Rock Hill, because he put his blinker on and just started to try and fit in front of me. He could not fit, almost hit me and I slammed on my horn. Apparently because his blinker was on he could more over regardless of whether I was there or not.

My only complaint since moving to the Carolinas almost 3 years ago is the inability of people to drive like normal human beings!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties