Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 06:53 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times

Advertisements

My soon to be 14 year old is trying to raise money for a new iPod and thought about offering her services for babysitting in the community. She was asked to do this once and our neighbor paid her $8/hr plus a small tip to watch a 3 year old. My question is if there is more than one child to watch, what would you offer per hour to babysit? Does your offer have anything to do with the age of the children or how much work you expect her to do? How young would your child be for you to consider entrusting the care for a couple of hours to a fourteen year old? I mean I don't want her to be babysitting infants if at all possible but would like your opinions. BTW, my DD is Red Cross certified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:13 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
You can google the Whitegrove HOA news letter - a few months back they had some "ads" about babysitting. I was readin g it b/c I am interested in that area (if I ever get this house sold).

Old 08-21-2008, 12:31 PM

425 posts, read 1,570,334 times
I have 4 kids K- 5th and my sitters are all high school aged and they get $8 an hour. I tried to pay more at first but neighbors and the sitters said it was too much. Most often they give them dinner and put them to bed. In PA I was paying $12 and hour for this. I like and trust my sitters here more so I am very pleased. When you think that money is before taxes the sitters are doing well making the $8 an hour.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:16 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Thanks to you both...Six, I was waiting for you to respond since I knew you had 4 girls. We figured she'd charge $8 if one kid, and $12 for 2; hopefully it's no more than that. She said she got her certificate for CPR somewhere in the many boxes...guess we have to dig that out sometime, LOL! Plus she went through a babysitting course in 6th grade. She doesn't mind running around chasing the little ones though, so it doesn't matter that they're tiny. Her only complaint sometimes is the feeding when they don't want to eat what they're supposed to eat! She has to play tricks with them, but in the end, she gets them to eat what they're supposed to!

Old 08-21-2008, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,457 times
I'm looking for a reliable baby -sitter for my 31/2 year old son. I want someone in lake wylie sc. Must have exp and background check done. I have camera in the home to watch from work. Must have a valid DL. The hours looking for are from 6am - 5pm M-F must be flexible. Will pay $100 a week.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:17 PM

425 posts, read 1,570,334 times
Van do you realize that is only about $2.22 an hour ? I am not sure if you were joking as I don't follow the posters on here to much. When I was a professional nanny before having my own kids I would make about $550 a week for the same time. Honestly I am not trying to be crass but I would be amazed if anyone would agree to do it for that and I would worry about them if they did.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:54 AM

98 posts, read 286,320 times
I think it's actually even worse that 2.22/hr, $100/55 hours is $1.82/hr. I don't think I would want someone watching my kids for under $2/hr!!! I hope that they were joking.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:11 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,167 times
I only have one six year old child and pay $6-8/hour depending on how old the babysitter is. For example, there is a 13 year old neighbor that will occasionally come over while I go to another neighbors house for our bunco game or a neighbors party. Since she is young and I am close, I pay on the lower end. For an experienced high schooler, I pay 7-8/hour.

My neighbor behind me pays $10/hour for someone (highschoolers) to watch their at the time three kids occasionally (ranged from 1 year to 6 years in age). Now they have four, infant born in Feb or march and haven't had a babysitter since then so have no idea what four kids would cost.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,031 times
Exclamation Hey!!

I babysit and am turning 14 in about a month. I charge 8 an hour for kids younger than 9, and if older, I do only 6.50. For more than one kid, I charge 4 extra if they are younger than 8 and only 1.50 extra if they are older. It has been a success so far..
BTW..oftentimes if the child is okay, I lessen th price by 50 cents each time.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:07 PM

166 posts, read 411,382 times
seriously I never understood this baby sitting wages. way too much and the perkid thing is Nuts.. Be grateful your getting $ under the table and the work isnt hard . watch TV and manage a little

$20-$25 no tax for 4 hours should be plenty to a kid who cant work anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties