U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2006, 10:53 AM

225 posts, read 643,748 times

Advertisements

Greetings, my family and I are moving to Fort Mill, is there any words of advice or points of interest that would be of useful to a new comer to the area? My wife is also curious as to nearest shopping center in the area. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2006, 12:09 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,593,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal707
Greetings, my family and I are moving to Fort Mill, is there any words of advice or points of interest that would be of useful to a new comer to the area? My wife is also curious as to nearest shopping center in the area. Thanks.
Hey there sal707-an early welcome to my neck of the woods! Where abouts are you moving to in Fort Mill (I am located in Tega Cay, SC...next door to Fort Mill)?

In Fort Mill we have grocery stores, restaurants, coffeehouses (even a Starbucks)...with a Wal Mart and other stores soon to follow (Tega Cay annexed some land off of 160 and Gold Hill).
As far as the closest malls: Rock Hill Galleria (Dave Lyle Blvd)..on this same road there are several other stores right off the (77) just to name a few: Target, Best Buy, Ross, Marshalls, Michaels, Movie Theater, loads of eateries. Then on the other side of us is Carolina Place Mall in Pineville (with many other stores in close proximity), a little further (apx. 20 mins) is South Park Shopping Mall (more upscale, Nordstroms, etc) . I have not hit everything...but I don't think your wife will be lacking for places to shop...or eat.

Some of the highlights of the area: Anne Springs Close Greenway (hiking, horse riding, fishing) - (2) YMCA's...one located on Gold Hill Rd., with a new one located in Baxter Village. There is also another recreation complex in Fort Mill called Leroy Springs. We also have Lake Wylie and of course Carowinds. Your to late for Strawberries but you can go pick peaches if you hurry. Hope that helps a little bit...and if there is anything else you have questions on...do not hesitate to ask.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:29 PM

195 posts, read 182,162 times
I saw in the NC "side" about Fort Mills. How are the schools?

Old 05-30-2006, 09:30 PM

212 posts, read 869,614 times
Smile Tega Cay

Hello lovethecarolinas! You seem to be the perfect person that can address a question of mine. Is it more expensive to live in Tega Cay than it is in Fort Mill and/or Rock Hill? I am referring to utilities and property taxes. It appears to be a wonderful unique area. Are all the homes charged a fee, like a Home Owners fee for being in this area? An article I pulled up shows this area as having a volunteer base which is wonderful but I wondered how this affects taxes.
Lastly-or maybe not If you don't live "on the water", are the neighborhoods close to public waterways? Thank you in advance.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tismekll
Hello lovethecarolinas! You seem to be the perfect person that can address a question of mine. Is it more expensive to live in Tega Cay than it is in Fort Mill and/or Rock Hill? I am referring to utilities and property taxes. It appears to be a wonderful unique area. Are all the homes charged a fee, like a Home Owners fee for being in this area? An article I pulled up shows this area as having a volunteer base which is wonderful but I wondered how this affects taxes.
Lastly-or maybe not If you don't live "on the water", are the neighborhoods close to public waterways? Thank you in advance.
hey there! Regarding property taxes..first off I will start off by saying I do not know what they are in Rock Hill (but you might check the South Carolina DOR and/or the York County Gov site)...now in regard to Fort Mill...there is the city of Fort Mill and then there is Fort Mill township (of these two the township property taxes are a little lower)....in regard to Tega Cay...they are a little more than the city of Fort Mill (currently in Tega Cay we do not have any businesses...other than the Golf Course to offset the taxes...but that will be changing in the near future). Now as far as utilities (again I am not positive about Rock Hill so I will leave them out) our gas is: York County Gas Company, our water is: Tega Cay Water, and electric is: Duke Power (the only one that I think would be different in Fort Mill is the water). In Tega Cay we do not have an HOA since we are a city...and have a mayor and city council, our own (paid) police department (you do not want to drive over 35 in our city ) and a volunteer fire department. I did recently see that they are building some upscale townhouses by the Tega Cay beach club and these will have their own HOA for their surrounding grounds...but that is it. We don't live right on the water...yet Tega Cay currently is surrounded by water..so I can go to the end of my street and see the Lake. We have various locations throughout the city where we can enjoy the lake (parks, marina, boat landings, etc.). My husband timed how long it took for him to hook the boat up, drive to the lake and be on his way (when all was said and done it was right around 10 minutes). Back to where I mentioned that Tega Cay was currently surrounded by water (we are a peninsula off of Lake Wylie)...Tega Cay will be expanding (land was annexed off of 160 and Gold Hill Rd) where there they will build a Wal Mart and other stores and restaurants. Hope that some of this makes sense...it's getting late for me

Old 05-30-2006, 10:48 PM

170 posts, read 532,040 times
Bound4NC-
from all the research I've done (with lovethecarolina's help), it seems that the Fort Mill schools are top notch! The scores are great, and when I look up houses online, many of them highlight- "Fort Mill schools!". I believe that is also a big attraction for families, that the schools are so good, it seems to be a booming place! I can't wait to check it out, it's at the top of my list for towns to go to. Heck, my husband's been telling people we're moving to Fort Mill, and we've never seen it! We'll see, google it, you'll get some good info on the town website.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:17 PM

212 posts, read 869,614 times
Thank you to lovethecarolinas for all the informative posts!

Old 05-30-2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tismekll
Thank you to lovethecarolinas for all the informative posts!

your very welcome...glad I could help....now I am off to get my beauty rest....since I need all the help I can get!

Old 05-30-2006, 11:26 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,061,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2boys
Bound4NC-
from all the research I've done (with lovethecarolina's help), it seems that the Fort Mill schools are top notch! The scores are great, and when I look up houses online, many of them highlight- "Fort Mill schools!". I believe that is also a big attraction for families, that the schools are so good, it seems to be a booming place! I can't wait to check it out, it's at the top of my list for towns to go to. Heck, my husband's been telling people we're moving to Fort Mill, and we've never seen it! We'll see, google it, you'll get some good info on the town website.
Have you seen anything you liked online. Are you looking for a new build?

Old 05-30-2006, 11:39 PM

170 posts, read 532,040 times
You know, I haven't seen anything specific, I have been looking on a realtor website at houses for sale in our price range, they're still out there, but I don't know for how long, things are going quick there. It really does look like a wonderful place, I guess we'd be willing to go "new", if it were in our $ range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties