Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:38 AM

35 posts, read 152,686 times

Advertisements

We just bought a nice home near Rock Hill in York County, SC.

The electrical wiring seems terrible. For example, 14 gage wire was put on 20 amp service. Some of the outlet boxes did not use wire nuts. This was usually the case when three cables entered the box two wires were twisted and wrapped with electrical tape. The back half of one electrical switch box was cut in half. Possibly to make more room for the wires. In the crawl space many of the wires are draped over the duct work instead of being secured every 4 to 5 feet.

I could go on and on.

What is the opinion of people in this area? I understand that three inspections were done by the county but yet the wiring is the worse I have ever seen. I do blame myself for not investigating more before I bought. But I would like to get more facts before I proceed.

A couple of photos of the wiring are attached where the wires were twisted and wrapped with electrical tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Question about Electrical Wiring-dsc01017.jpg   Question about Electrical Wiring-dsc01022.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 07:24 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I know nothing about electrical stuff beyond what any homeowner should know and that looks downright dangerous! Instead of relying on second-hand info, get a good electrician out there now! You have a potential fire waiting to happen.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:35 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
I would be inclined to call someone in the County - It seems someone really needs to be taken to the task and the builder needs to deal with the problem and the city inspector needs some kind of retraining or worse. [Don't know how old the house it but.............you should not have to foot the whole bill for fixing the problems.

Did you not hire a home inspector?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 AM

Default Any Other Home Have Electrical Wiring Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I know nothing about electrical stuff beyond what any homeowner should know and that looks downright dangerous! Instead of relying on second-hand info, get a good electrician out there now! You have a potential fire waiting to happen.
Thanks to both replies above.

This is a new home, four months old. Yes I did hire an inspector before closing but he never removed any wall plates or crawled to the back of the crawl space where the wires are draped over the duct work. I did meet and talk with inspection department. There is not much they can do they said since they already issued a certificate of occupancy.

I am pretty familiar with NEC. I will probably repair myself (after obtaining a permit).

My main issue is if others in York county have the same problem. I suspect lots of homes were done this way. If you live in York county I would appreciate your opinion. The problem I believe is that homeowners will never know about it.

At this time I choose not to reveal the electrical contractor who did this. I am hoping it was an isolated incident by one of its employees.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 AM
MOC

57 posts, read 190,907 times
If the work was not done according to code you should let everyone know the name of the development so they can also check their homes. In NJ where I lived there was a huge problem with a development that was brand new and build by Hovnanian. It was so bad that an investigation led to the code enforcement officer of the town being fired. It was quite a scandal. Electrical wires were hanging exposed in attics, roof trusses were not supported and foundations were horribly built to name a few. The owners of some of the homes picketed one of Hov's other developments being built every day for over a year until they got help.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:45 AM

174 posts, read 502,259 times
I bought a spec house in 1989 in Rock Hill - the wiring in it was pretty shabby too. Had to have the "electrician" come back and fix several issues, which were obvious to me. I don't want to think about what was behind the walls! The house, built by Flint Construction, had numerous quality issues, some of which were covered by warranty and others discovered too late. I came home one evening to find that someone had mysteriously added large reinforcing bolts to my deck without so much as a phone call or a note. (Evidently there were safety issues, and they used the stealth approach to fix them rather then admitting to it.)

I've since moved to a home built in 1962, solid as a rock!

Sorry to ramble...

Old 08-26-2008, 04:29 PM

Several years ago there were some fires in homes in Fort Mill due to improperly installed chimneys and something an inspector should catch.

Have you talked with the electrical contractor? I think they should look at who did this job and commit to an inspection of all houses done by this person. And they should fix the work [though I can see how you would be more comfortable doing it yourself!]

Old 08-26-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Several years ago there were some fires in homes in Fort Mill due to improperly installed chimneys and something an inspector should catch.

Have you talked with the electrical contractor? I think they should look at who did this job and commit to an inspection of all houses done by this person. And they should fix the work [though I can see how you would be more comfortable doing it yourself!]
I am still hoping that the contracting company owner comes here to see for himself. I wonder how many other homes, if not more, have the same wiring issue in Rock Hill area.

I would information from others more knowledgeable, like electricians, to see if this is accepted practice in York county, SC.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:44 PM

850 posts, read 2,651,415 times
My house is about two years old, purchased new, in FM... Who built you house... I have never seen anything like this... I would say you have a major issue...
Good Luck...

Old 08-28-2008, 09:17 AM

I was talking with a masonry contractor about further investigating an inspection finding and he was from another state and agreed that code inspections are a joke in this state. It is in Florida too. My dad got a roof inspection by a guy who just drove by slowly [did not get out of car] - he said many of the inspection/sign offs are done without even so much as a site visit.

I would definitely blow the horn if the contractor does not come up with an action plan to detect and correct the problem in other homes. Someone could die from this nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties