Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,627 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area, and although this does not affect me now, it will in about 2 years. My child's birthday is Sept. 9 and she will be 3 yrs old. In order for a child to enter kindergarten he/she has to be 5 by Aug. 31. Someone told me that I could appeal it so that she enters when she turns 5, despite it being about 9 days after the cut off date? Has anyone gone through this? I tried to find info on the Lancaster school board web site, but I couldn't find anything. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 11:30 PM

4 posts, read 20,136 times
well this is not the answer that you were wanting but my 2cents worth here.......why in the world would you want her to start earlier?? let her have the extra year to grow and be a kid! you will not regret it!! i am a mother of 4 kids and mom of 1 that I held back from starting K early (his birthday is August 17, so he makes the cutoff but just by weeks) but I have never regretted it! i dont think you will either. let them be kids! i know she may seem really smart and you think she is ready and all of that but dont do her an injustice by pushing her to start school...she has her entire life! AND she wont get her drivers license until her senior year....and that stinks!! Been there, done that, it does! lol

Old 06-10-2009, 01:38 PM

5 posts, read 23,410 times
I'm curious to hear what you find out. I've thought about the same thing. It has always bothered me that the cutoff is so early down here.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:43 AM

299 posts, read 1,073,403 times
With all due respect New2RockHill... it's not so hard to fathom that someone would want early admission. My daughter was reading before she was 5 years old. By the time she got into kindergarten (they refused her early admission) she was reading at a 3rd grade level. They didn't know what to do with her, and consequently pulled her out of her regular class, away from her friends, for reading (and math) and she felt as though she were being punished for being smart. If a child is smart enough and emotionally ready for school, I think they should be granted admission early. Especially since in the OP's case, her child is SO close to the cutoff date. My child was NOWHERE NEAR the cutoff date, unfortunately, so there was nothing I could do.

To the OP, I don't know the process by which you appeal the admission cut-off, but I wish you luck. Let us know how it turns out. I think I would just call the Superintendent's Office... go straight to the top.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:28 PM

4 posts, read 20,136 times
none taken....that exact same happened with my now rising 2nd grader. she was reading about on a 2nd grade level in Kindergarden and now almost at a 4th grade level as she is about to enter 2nd grade. You are right there are not any pull-outs and/or special T&G classes at that grade level. For now, she helps the teachers teach the other kids and it thrills her. I continue to work with her and do different and more challenging stuff at home but she does the same as the other kids at school. They did not have the staff to pull out/test until 2nd grade and that is for 3rd grade placement. My dd has probably read about 20 or so of the 3rd grade AR books but she is unable to take the tests on them until 3rd grade. Crazy really!! :-) But then I have another son who would rather get ran over than read! Go figure! lol

Old 07-15-2009, 06:50 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,008,779 times
I am not aware that there is such an appeals process. The cut off date is set by the state. I don't think your local school district can make exceptions.

I do have one neighbor who sent her daughter to private school K-1st. She was then able to enroll her in 2nd grade in public school. She did fine academically, but has had a tough time socially. This is perhaps due to the fact that she was up to a full year younger than some of her classmates. Just something else to think about.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:40 AM

7 posts, read 27,981 times
My son also missed the cut off by 9 days. From my understanding there is no exception. I just put him in private Kin at Apple Seed and then he did public Kin this year. I was disappointed because I thought he was mature and smart enough to start. When he did go to public Kin he was ahead of his other classmates since most of them were still use to afternoon naps and having a blanky.

His class at Apple Seed was full of kids in the same situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties