Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:45 AM

161 posts, read 529,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsdavis View Post
wsobchak,
That is excatly how I felt when we switched from Comporium to Directv. Thank goodness I didn't follow those four steps though. When my husband called directv, this is what they offered. All the movie channels (like we need them) along with two hundred channels that we hardly ever watch, three boxes (one is a dvr) all for $90.17 a month with the tax included. But the best part, he even got the NFL package thrown in there also . We get all that for that one great price for four months, man is he living high on the hog. I guess we all could find some kind of fault in our cable/satellite service if we look hard enough, but at my house directv is heaven on earth for now.
This is a special introductory deal--when it runs out in 6 or 12 months you will be paying $150 or more, but your contract will continue to run for two years. Enjoy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 07:15 PM

193 posts, read 633,883 times
Dish Network - much better than cable.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog2 View Post
This is hilarious. Don't the people who are complaining about having to pay Comporium $4.95 for a digtal box realize they will also have to pay $4.95 for each box to Direct or Dish? The only difference is, when your satelite box goes bad (ie struck by lightning, etc) you will then have to fork out $100 to the sat comnpany for a replacement, and that's for a basic box, DVR and HD boxes are MUCH more expensive. Cost to replace a defective Comporium box? $0. Want to add another TV later? That will cost you $250, if you have satelite service, $10 if you have Comporium. I know what I'm talking about, I had Dish service when I lived in a rural area. BTW, Time Warner subscriber and want to add an additional digital box? That'll be $9.95 a month (and it's exactly the same SA box Comporium uses). I'm tired of hearing people bash Comporium--they offer good service at a reasonable price.
The prices you quote for the satellite companies ($100, $250) are only if you decide to buy your own receivers instead of paying the monthly fee for them. You said it is also $4.95 a month. If you are paying them the monthly fee, they should replace it if it fails.

If they would do something about the lousy service, all of us would quit complaining :-)

BTW, are you employed by or derive your income in some way from Comporium (or any of your family members)?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:15 AM

161 posts, read 529,348 times
No, you pay the monthy fee of $4.99, and have to pay for any repairs or replacements to equipment as well. As I mentioned, if you decide to add an additional TV and need an additional reciever, you will be charged about $100, plus labor. In many cases, when you add a reciever you will also have to pay for an additional switch (about $75) or other equipment. Dish and Direct customers OWN the equipment installed on their homes as well as the recievers. Both Dish and Direct offer special deals for new customers in which they essenually give you the start-up equipment if you sign a contract, but they neglect to tell you if you later need additional equipment or repairs ( a certainty) you will have to pay big-time. Again, to be clear, YOU ALWAYS BUY YOUR EQUIPMENT when you subscribe to satelite services. Since it's yours, you have to pay to repair, maintain or expand it, in addition to paying monthly fees. No I am not "employed by or derive (my) income in some way from Comporium." I simply believe consumers should have all the facts when deciding which video service to go with. I also feel Comporium has been unfairly represented by a few on these threads. I am very demanding when it comes to telecommunications services and have subscribed to Dish, Direct, and Time Warner in the past, and have been very satisfied with Comporium.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:00 PM

149 posts, read 581,661 times
Comporium sucks! Had it for 4 years and lost service more than we have with our Dish. We have had Dish for almost 3 years and love it! They have never changed our "introductory price" and we have never had issues with our bill, unlike at Comporium! We constantly had issues! We just upgraded our second box to a DVR and received a prepaid box in the mail to send it back to Dish! (We had an independent installer) Not only does the Comporium service suck, but so does there customer service. The workers are rude and not helpful! We will never go back to them!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog2 View Post
... Dish and Direct customers OWN the equipment installed on their homes as well as the recievers.

... Again, to be clear, YOU ALWAYS BUY YOUR EQUIPMENT when you subscribe to satelite services. ...

Bzzzttt, wrong answer. No.

Please go read the fees and agreements sections on the Dish and DirecTV web sites. They lay out the equipment rental monthly fees.

I had to go out of my way to buy a satellite receiver as opposed to renting it, and the Dish people seemed to think it was very unusual that I wanted to own the equipment. But I did manage to buy it as opposed to renting.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:06 PM

16 posts, read 53,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesBFree View Post
Bzzzttt, wrong answer. No.

Please go read the fees and agreements sections on the Dish and DirecTV web sites. They lay out the equipment rental monthly fees.

I had to go out of my way to buy a satellite receiver as opposed to renting it, and the Dish people seemed to think it was very unusual that I wanted to own the equipment. But I did manage to buy it as opposed to renting.

Exactly you can own or rent. Plus if you get a DVR from Comporium be weary of the Hard drive failures that are going on. If you got a good one your in luck those have not been reported as bad yet. The latest batches per the rep (Dec 2008) are bad since they bought the cheapest units to save on costs. I hear now you can get on a waiting list for the next available batch.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 7,270 times
There phone service sucks as well. i dropped there phone service because they never fixed any of there problem after a complaned for four months to get it fixed. I could not even dial the phone at least 3 times a week. They contantly told me that all of the lines in the area were busy and never carred to deal with it. Also there cable bill seems to keep going up little by little every month. From month to month the bill is never the same. I dropped it about a year ago and comporium sent me a offen in the mail for $20.00 off (12 months at $40.00) there voice plus unlimited long distance service?

Old 02-13-2009, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 7,270 times
I now have Vontage phone service for a total $31.85 the price does include all of the phone taxes as well. I have never had a problem with Vontage yet. The only service I have from Comporium is internet. You have to have a high speed connection for vontage to work. Vontage work great and I do not get ripped off calling Charlotte, NC from Fort Mill, SC

Old 02-23-2009, 01:12 PM

12 posts, read 33,145 times
If you call Comporium they can add something to your line for less then $2 per month so that TV's can get the other channels without a digital reciever box. Check your phone bill around January 1st.

I too wish we had another option and feel that comporium's lock on this area is illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties