Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 01:08 PM

417 posts, read 814,356 times

Advertisements

Okay, I am not a happy camper ....The other night Comporium did a channel upgrade and added some channels to their system. Great. My main TV that has HDTV gets all the channels to infinity fine.

NOW, I just noticed that my other 2 TV's in my bedrooms are only receiving up to channel 21..nothing beyond. I tried to reset the channels on the menu but it didn't work.
I called Comporium and they said in order for those TV's to receive more channels I would need to purchase a cable box (not the box currently advertised for the national 2009 upgrade?) but a cable box supplied from Comporium.
In order to get more channels for each TV I would need to purchase a box and Comporium would give the first box free and then charge $4.95 a month for the second box. So, now I'll have to pay more money to them. Everything was just fine.......Has anyone else increased their blood pressure over this?

Edit: I spoke to another person at Comporium and he said that I wouldn't need these boxes if my TV's were Digital. So, looks like I will need to upgrade my TV's to prevent from purchasing the boxes.....

Last edited by Singe; 09-17-2008 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 05:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,865,803 times
And it will save you worrying about Feb. 2009.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:20 PM

225 posts, read 716,555 times
Get Direct TV, get rid of those clowns

Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 PM

45 posts, read 133,682 times
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I got rid of their cable 2 years ago. I love my DISH. You may want to look into Sat instead. I had cable for years, and I will never go back to it now.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:46 PM

417 posts, read 814,356 times
Thanks guys for your advice.
Sometimes it just feels better to vent...

Does Direct or Dish have independent installers? If so, could someone DM me with a # to a installer? I live in the FM by the lake. I do have trees all around my house. Do you think this would cause interference with a satellite signal?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:56 AM

396 posts, read 977,743 times
ALL of the cable companies nationwide are going to require people who do not have HDTVs to have digital boxes for digital cable to work if they decide to go completely digital. Here's what I found:

"First, it's important to know that the February 17, 2009 deadline for the digital television transition only applies to full-power broadcast stations. Cable companies are not required by the government to transition their systems to digital, and can continue to deliver channels to their customers in analog. Cable companies are actually required by FCC rules to continue offering local broadcast stations to their customers in analog as long as they offer any analog service. This requirement will continue for at least three years after February 17, 2009. The Commission will decide in 2011 whether the requirement should be continued beyond February 17, 2012. This means that customers who receive analog cable service (without a cable set-top box) will be able to continue to do so.
However, for business reasons (among other things, digital is much more efficient than analog), cable companies may be interested in transitioning their systems from analog delivery to digital delivery. If a cable company makes the business decision to go all-digital (meaning it will stop offering any channels to its customers in analog), it must ensure that its analog customers can continue to watch their local broadcast stations. This may require customers with analog televisions to get a set-top box. If the cable company provides the customer with a set-top box, any costs related to it will be determined by the cable company. Therefore, it is recommended that analog cable customers contact their cable company to ask if a set-top box will be needed, when it will be needed, and if there will be a cost.
It is also important to note that a cable set-top box is different from a digital-to-analog converter box. A digital-to-analog converter box is necessary only for analog televisions that receive their programming over-the-air using a rooftop antenna or "rabbit ears" connected to the set. A digital-to-analog converter box is not necessary for a TV connected to a paid television service such as a cable or satellite TV provider. Information on any set-top boxes needed for a paid service such as cable or satellite should be obtained from the service provider."

I found this info. here: The Digital TV Transition: FAQs - Consumer Corner

In all fairness to Comporium (and other cable companies), it's probably not a good business decision to "stay behind" and not jump on the digital band wagon. If you have an HDTV, you don't need a box. However, the boxes supplied by a cable company in order to get an older television to work with digital channels (I have THREE REALLY old tvs!!!!) do cost the company money, so to get multiple boxes for free (and I understand the beef here with consumers) doesn't sound too realistic.

Look at it this way - your TV isn't going to last forever, so when the time comes, you'll get an HDTV (or TVs) and not have to worry about the box issue!

Old 09-18-2008, 12:42 PM

20 posts, read 92,363 times
DirecTV requires you to 'sign' a two year contract that they do not openly inform you about. If you break the contract you have to pay them! I just cancelled and paid $460! They are a rip off! Stick with Comporium, what is $4.95 a month?

Old 09-18-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singe View Post
Thanks guys for your advice.
Sometimes it just feels better to vent...

Does Direct or Dish have independent installers? If so, could someone DM me with a # to a installer? I live in the FM by the lake. I do have trees all around my house. Do you think this would cause interference with a satellite signal?
Guys were great! They place mine right in the woods. Of course it had a nice view.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxqt View Post
DirecTV requires you to 'sign' a two year contract that they do not openly inform you about. If you break the contract you have to pay them! I just cancelled and paid $460! They are a rip off! Stick with Comporium, what is $4.95 a month?
$4.95 What? My computer along with my TV was like $85 a month,

Old 09-19-2008, 02:39 PM

20 posts, read 92,363 times
They were going to be charged an extra $4.95 per month for the converter box, not for their monthly service total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties