U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 08:55 AM

14 posts, read 42,538 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are relocating to SC in 6 weeks (yay!). One of the first things we need to do is to rewrite our wills. Does anybody know if SC law allows for children to be excluded? I know that different states vary on this issue.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 03:18 PM

163 posts, read 563,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH-elf View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are relocating to SC in 6 weeks (yay!). One of the first things we need to do is to rewrite our wills. Does anybody know if SC law allows for children to be excluded? I know that different states vary on this issue.

Thanks!
Idk...But just so I am understanding you correctly..You want to exclude (not leave) your children anything? right?

Old 09-25-2008, 03:25 PM
MOC

57 posts, read 184,295 times
That is something you should be asking a lawyer not putting on a forum.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:11 PM

3,630 posts, read 14,063,620 times
I agree ........ what a strange and sad thing to ask on a forum. It is so in the realm of things people would not think about that maybe someone has an answer but I sure don't.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:27 AM

I asked because I would have liked to have some kind of an idea before consulting with a lawyer, and simply googling it didn't produce a lot of results.

We have a lot of reasons for not including our children in our will. We prefer instead to bequeath our assets to charities, namely the APL along with a foreign organization for orphaned children. We would like to help those who cannot help themselves - our children are able to make plenty of money in the future (Warren Buffet has excluded his children from his will as well).

I apologize to those of you that this question offended - this forum was really just a tool for me to try to get an answer before I contacted a lawyer.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:10 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,396,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH-elf View Post
I asked because I would have liked to have some kind of an idea before consulting with a lawyer, and simply googling it didn't produce a lot of results.

We have a lot of reasons for not including our children in our will. We prefer instead to bequeath our assets to charities, namely the APL along with a foreign organization for orphaned children. We would like to help those who cannot help themselves - our children are able to make plenty of money in the future (Warren Buffet has excluded his children from his will as well).

I apologize to those of you that this question offended - this forum was really just a tool for me to try to get an answer before I contacted a lawyer.

It was a decent question, who knows maybe a lawyer posts here? Anyway it's my knowledge personally first hand, that if the children are under 18, they automatically get the estate (they are considered minor children).
And if your will gave everything to charity, it would most likely be fought in court by your local probate court, which would represent the minor child.
There are strict laws about kids under 18. However if you have adult children, you owe them nothing and you are free to do as you wish with your will. Many people do not leave their adult children estates, for all kinds of various reasons.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:30 AM

3,630 posts, read 14,063,620 times
This all makes more sense now. Sorry for the initial response.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:23 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,396,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
It was a decent question, who knows maybe a lawyer posts here? Anyway it's my knowledge personally first hand, that if the children are under 18, they automatically get the estate (they are considered minor children).
And if your will gave everything to charity, it would most likely be fought in court by your local probate court, which would represent the minor child.
There are strict laws about kids under 18. However if you have adult children, you owe them nothing and you are free to do as you wish with your will. Many people do not leave their adult children estates, for all kinds of various reasons.

Tweaking the response a bit. In some states if you change your will to leave nothing to family members and give it all to charity or whatever else you choose, but you'd both die within 6 months of the new will, your children and or family members could contest it. Therein lies "each" states rules.
It's to be determined by what state your residenceis in, not by where the will was drawn up. However, you do need an attorney's help, they know the laws for SC.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:11 PM

Thank you so much for your knowledgeable responses, Mrs. P! I really appreciate it.

I hope to contact a lawyer in Fort Mill soon after our move to get the new will drawn up. I want to get it done ASAP so the new one will supercede our old will, where we were required by law to leave our children 3/16 of our assets.

Again, I appreciate your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties