Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:28 PM

19 posts, read 74,682 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend what they think is the best cell phone service in the Indian Land area? I just moved here and have Verizon, but I get terrible reception and lost calls. I believe I will be able to get out of my Verizon contract since I am no longer fully covered in this area. Is there another cell phone provider that is better or do I just need to wait it out?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 05:21 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,251 times
I have Sprint and have not had any problems when at our house in Sun City. My daughter also has it and when she was down over Labor Day had no problems both with voice and texting.

Although I have not had any problems with Sprint (at least on this contract), she did have some problems with them when she first signed up. Long story, but she got impatient waiting for her phone to come from online signup and went to the store to get one and didn't cancel the one coming and she had a heck of a time getting her money back for the second one even though she sent it back. Had she waited she would have not had any problems. Customer support can be really iffy sometimes, though. You just have to keep calling back to finally get someone who knows what they are doing. But I think all companies have that problem.

We are going to look at AT&T because she wants to switch, but I don't really like their sparse coverage in some of the more rural areas. I need a plan that I can call from ANYwhere to ANYwhere without any roaming or long distance no matter whose network you are on.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:28 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
You may have to be agressive about getting out of your Verizon contract but I did. I had Verizon since before it was Verizon [I think it was Bell Atlantic?] anyway every year it has gotten worse and worse.

Anyway the people at the verizon store act dumb to it but if you push customer service enough they will admit Fort Mill is a Verizon problem area and no plans for any towers to help us out.

Actually they cut the analog towers last spring so I am not sure Verizon is any better now in the rural areas [they used to be because they had analog in addition to digital]

I have AT&T and it has been much better though not as good as it should be since I am not that far from a tower.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:34 PM

201 posts, read 598,850 times
meeper,
Cell phone reception depends on exactly where you live. In our neighborhood, Dominion Bridge, Verizon is pretty much dead and they offered themselves to let us out of all 3 of our contracts. I asked Comporium about their cell phones, and they said the service they offer is not good in our neighborhood either. But I can drive a mile down the road and things are fine. So, it's not a broad area like "Indian Land" or "Fort Mill." Different neighborhoods and streets get varying reception from various companies. We tried that MagicJack computer phone hookup from home, and it was a mess---dropped calls and all sorts of problems. Finally, we just got a landline from Comporium, and have had no problems at all.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:37 PM

201 posts, read 598,850 times
Meeper,
I wanted to add something. You said you might just "wait it out." But Verizon said they had no plans to increase the # of towers in our neighborhood anytime in the next few years. That's why they offered to let us out of all of our contracts. We did get a Comporium land line, but we kept the cell phones anyway. I work in Indian Land, and my husband works in Charlotte, and the Verizon reception is fine both places.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:34 AM

850 posts, read 2,651,415 times
I have had Verizon for 5+ years and no problems. Have great reception in FM and IL... Make sure that you update your roaming codes, dial *228 and select option #2.
Hope this helps...

Old 10-09-2008, 06:33 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marndt View Post
I have had Verizon for 5+ years and no problems. Have great reception in FM and IL... Make sure that you update your roaming codes, dial *228 and select option #2.
Hope this helps...
I think it really depends on where you are. I am off of Doby's bridge road and had TERRIBLE problems - even tried the phones known for great reception as opposed to gizmo gotcha features. I regularly updated my codes.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:30 PM

161 posts, read 529,287 times
Comporium (AT&T) service has been excellent in my area of IL since they added a few new towers in IL about a year ago. I get four bars even in my windowless bathroom. Never a drop-out in IL or FM.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:24 PM

19 posts, read 74,682 times
We got out of our contract with Verizon after they came out to our house and determined that we didn't have good coverage. We went with ATT and are very happy with the service here.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:25 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,905,707 times
I live in Indian Land and have Verizon. I have not had any problems at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties