U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:08 AM

9 posts, read 34,739 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Considering move to Charlotte area - with 1st choice currently Fort Mill. Others currently considering - Matthews, Stallings, Waxhaw, Huntersville.

One of my main concerns is the commute time to Uptown - can anyone tell me how long the commute is from Fort Mill to Uptown during rush hour?

Next schools (3rd grader and 3 yr old) are definite concerns. Everything I have read indicates Fort Mill schools within York County are very good however not the same for Lancaster County schools. Any information would be appreciated.

Also youth sport programs - what is offered? Little League, Basketball programs, Youth Hockey?

And last preschool/daycare - any information or personal experience would be appreciated.

Appreciate any information. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 09:35 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,928,429 times
Default Fort Mill to Charlotte

Rush hour traffic from Fort Mill to Uptown...I'd plan on 45". Fort Mill Schools are rated among the best in SC, however, NC schools rank higher nationally. Union Co. schools in NC are good. I can send you some websites to get info on local areas and schools. Send me a pm.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:04 PM

46 posts, read 199,639 times
Of all your areas, Fort Mill has the shortest commute time. My commute to uptown is 30 minutes or less. MY coworker in Waxhaw is somewhere closer to an hour. Huntersville is a lovely town, but coming from the north, the traffic is really bad.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:27 PM

45,245 posts, read 95,836,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neednewhouse View Post
Of all your areas, Fort Mill has the shortest commute time. My commute to uptown is 30 minutes or less. MY coworker in Waxhaw is somewhere closer to an hour. Huntersville is a lovely town, but coming from the north, the traffic is really bad.
You are exactly right, well said!

Old 02-16-2007, 03:26 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,820,789 times
hey there robomom - I live in Tega Cay, SC which adjoins Fort Mill, SC. My children attend Fort Mill schools (currently elementary, and middle) and have been very pleased with the education that they are receiving (alot of folks like to use www.greatschools.net to compare schools)

As neednewhouse has already indicated...your commute time to uptown Charlotte from Fort Mill would be your best best (from the other towns you have indicated). I have made it in 20 minutes on off times, and 30 minutes during peak travel time.

Sports programs are pretty big here and offered at such locations as (and are open to all children in the area:

Leroy Springs Recreation Complex (Fort Mill)
Tega Cay Parks and Recreation (Tega Cay)
YMCA (2 locations in Fort Mill)

http://www.tegacayrec.com/Baseball.html
http://www.tegacayrec.com/

In addition we have a team that is called the Carolina Storm. It consists of 12 year olds from Tega Cay and Fort Mill who each summer compete at the National Baseball Tournament in Cooperstown. Also available are the AAU sports teams.

http://www.leroysprings.com/Recreati...esFortMill.cfm

http://www.upymca.org/branches/ftmill/ftmill-branch.html (broken link)

Winthrop University located in Rock Hill, SC also offers summer sports programs.

The only thing that I can think of that we don't currently have in the area is Hockey...yet there is the Ice House located in Pineville that offers a hockey program (and that is apx. 15 minutes from Fort Mill)

Good Luck with your search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomom View Post
Hi All,
Considering move to Charlotte area - with 1st choice currently Fort Mill. Others currently considering - Matthews, Stallings, Waxhaw, Huntersville.

One of my main concerns is the commute time to Uptown - can anyone tell me how long the commute is from Fort Mill to Uptown during rush hour?

Next schools (3rd grader and 3 yr old) are definite concerns. Everything I have read indicates Fort Mill schools within York County are very good however not the same for Lancaster County schools. Any information would be appreciated.

Also youth sport programs - what is offered? Little League, Basketball programs, Youth Hockey?

And last preschool/daycare - any information or personal experience would be appreciated.

Appreciate any information. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2007, 08:24 AM

Thanks to all for the info and links, very helpful!

Now more questions:
- any suggestions on which neighborhoods in Fort Mill? Our price range is 250 - 350K.

- Is there are inventory for resale? or mainly new dev.? If new dev. is the way to go, which builders rate well?

In regards to community pools - does each neighborhood have one and if you choose a neighborhood that doesn't are there places to join?

Old 02-17-2007, 05:13 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,820,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robomom View Post
Thanks to all for the info and links, very helpful!

Now more questions:
- any suggestions on which neighborhoods in Fort Mill? Our price range is 250 - 350K.

- Is there are inventory for resale? or mainly new dev.? If new dev. is the way to go, which builders rate well?

In regards to community pools - does each neighborhood have one and if you choose a neighborhood that doesn't are there places to join?
Well, there will be many subdivisions in Fort Mill to choose from within your price range (new and resell). Just a few that come to mind: McKendry - Baxter Village - Lynnwood Farms - Knightsbridge - Spicewood - Quail Ridge - White Grove.....

Some of the subdivisions around here do have community pools...while some do not. But if you do find a subdivision that you like and it does not have a pool...do not fret...many of the children (and adults) around here can be found at the YMCA located in Baxter (indoor and outdoor pool w/water slides, and wading pool), the Leroy Springs Rec. (indoor pool and indoor wading pool), and the Tega Cay Beach Club pool (outdoor pool, and outdoor wading pool), and/or the lake (Lake Wylie)

I'm not a realtor so I am unable to tell you much about the builders in the area (maybe someone else can chime in)

Old 02-17-2007, 10:25 PM

46 posts, read 199,639 times
Well, since you're like me and concerned about the commute to uptown (and I just bought my 2nd home in Fort Mill), my advice would be to stay in north Fort Mill.

Our price range was similar to yours and here's where we focused:

- Regent Park (where our current home is, and where we ended up buying the new home)
-Baxter (love this neighborhood, but with a max of $350k, we didn't like the options - the nicer homes are in the $400-450 range)
-Lake Shore (Tega Cay) - we almost bought here several times - love the neighborhood, but it was just a little further from uptown than I wanted to go. I've gotten spoiled by being 12 miles (or close away). The neighborhood Hunters Run in there is about your price range, and that's were we were looking - all resale, mostly Saussy Burbank homes. Saussy has a great reputation and their houses are adorable.
-Knightsbridge - this is a nice neighborhood too... just never the right house came along.
- Bailiwyck - this is a gorgeous neighborhood - most are out of your range though. Great location off of Carowinds.
-Ashford on the Water - same comment as Bailiwyck. Keep your eyes open for houses under $350.

As far as the suggestions made above by lovethecarolinas, while some of these are really nice neighborhoods (I love Lynnwood Farms), I would be careful about buying way down there if you're concerned with the commute. I think the neighborhoods off of Doby's Bridge Rd. are easily 15-20 minutes further from uptown.

If you decide to do new construction in Fort Mill in the $250-350 range, I love Ryan Homes... we almost built one of those in Fallbrook (part of the new Emerald Lakes neighborhood). They're building really similar homes in Fair Oaks, which is another great location. You can look at their website.

I've also heard good things about Pleasant Glen built by Lennar, but I don't like the fact that you can't customize Lennar homes - everything is already included and there are no substitutions.

Those are my top pics on the north side of Fort Mill!

Old 02-18-2007, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 10,285 times
Default SC Real Estate

$350,000 homes? in south carolina?????? wow, what kind of job you got. I know you aint working at autozone and getting a house like that.

Eric

Old 02-19-2007, 07:40 AM

Thanks again to lovethecarolinas and neednewhouse, great information to help me with my research. You read my mind about which section of Fort Mill for a quicker commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties