Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:23 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,875,640 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a house close to the intersection of Heckle Blvd and Hollis Lakes Road. Can anyone tell me about this area? I live in the University area of CLT, as I have the last 3 years, and have only been through Rock Hill several times on the interstate. I know it will be different, and not as convenient, but I don't mind driving a few minutes to Charlotte for nightlife. Is this area safe? Clean? Quiet? I go to see the house Monday, and will get a better feel for the neighborhood then, but I was looking to get some feedback from some of you who live in the area. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 12:29 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,701,078 times
The only advantage of living in Rock Hill, SC, is lower taxes. I would rather look into SW Charlotte, Steele Creek area.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:20 PM

392 posts, read 1,184,409 times
Hi, Peyton. Popped in to see what my CLT CD friends are up to and happened to see your message. We live east of Rock Hill in eastern York County and love RH. I am somewhat familiar with the area you are talking about, and off the top of my head I would say it should be cool.

If you want to DM me a subdivision name and/or address, I have to head out in that general direction in a little bit and could check it out and come back later and post or DM info. You have me curious now. I will have my Dad with me. He was a builder for many, many years, so he can lend his opinion. We drive around looking at houses and subdivisions all the time so it is no sweat for us to do so. Just let me know. Should be here for another hour or so before heading out.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:47 PM

5,297 posts, read 5,249,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
I am looking at a house close to the intersection of Heckle Blvd and Hollis Lakes Road. Can anyone tell me about this area? I live in the University area of CLT, as I have the last 3 years, and have only been through Rock Hill several times on the interstate. I know it will be different, and not as convenient, but I don't mind driving a few minutes to Charlotte for nightlife. Is this area safe? Clean? Quiet? I go to see the house Monday, and will get a better feel for the neighborhood then, but I was looking to get some feedback from some of you who live in the area. Thanks in advance!
I live very close to there, near the intersection of Heckle Blvd and Herlong. This part of town is definitely safe and pretty quiet. 901 (Heckle Blvd) can be busy w/ trucks at times, but it's not too bad, and there are woods down both sides of it, to keep the noise from reaching the neighborhoods. Location wise, this isn't the most conveniant area to get to Charlotte, especially in the morning b/c Celanese is very busy, but it isn't too bad. If I go to Uptown, and traffic is fine, it takes me 35 min on avg. It takes 20 min to get to the South Blvd Light Rail stop at 485. One nice thing, is that the Bi-Lo is very close, but not walkable, you wouldn't want to walk along 901 (no sidewalks, 50 mph speed limit, divided hwy). If you need any more info, feel free to Msg me.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:41 PM

225 posts, read 716,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
The only advantage of living in Rock Hill, SC, is lower taxes. I would rather look into SW Charlotte, Steele Creek area.
Alot of crime there in Steele creek

Old 10-24-2008, 06:34 PM

174 posts, read 502,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
I disagree, having lived in Rock Hill for 19 years, and coincidentally having worked in the Steele Creek area of Charlotte for 15 of them. Rock Hill has more of a community feel to it, like the town in NY where I grew up. There are more neighborhoods and fewer subdivisions, and a downtown area that is slowly but surely becoming a destination. If you like the area near Heclke and Hollis Lakes, drive around a bit. Not far from there are a couple of quiet older neighborhoods with mid-century brick houses on acre lots selling for $150's. Good luck, and have fun looking!

Old 10-24-2008, 09:20 PM

392 posts, read 1,184,409 times
Hey again, Peyton! I see the thread was moved down here to the Y & L forum. So glad to see Ohioaninsc chimed in to help you out. Great advice there from someone who lives nearby.

Now that I have figured out where you are talking about, I would say that part of town represents some of the best Rock Hill has to offer in neighborhood living. It has that cool combination of being suburban yet in-town. Some beautiful established neighborhoods, plus many of RH's newer mid to higher price point subdivisions were infilled into that general vicinity. That is always a good sign.

We drove around a couple of neighborhoods near the intersection. The ones we saw gave the impression of nice places to live. Beautifully treed, everything "lays very nicely", walkable in the neighborhoods, great yards around the homes. We drove down and around Wintercrest Circle in the SE quadrant of the intersection. Saw one home for sale with sign marked sold and one home for rent. We also drove around Ole Woods Drive in the SW quadrant. Saw a home for sale in that area. Wondering if that is the one you are talking about.

That area is certainly convenient to many RH amenities. I agree with Ohioan re while not the closest point in RH to I-77/Charlotte, it is still not that far. We live down here and hang in Charlotte all the time.

Hope this helps. No matter where you land, wishing you much success in your search for a new place to call home.

Edited to add: I just now saw Lou's post and wanted to add that he gives GREAT advice re if you like that area, be sure to drive around to see surrounding established neighborhoods.

Last edited by AmericanRoadGirl; 10-24-2008 at 09:29 PM..

Old 10-25-2008, 06:05 AM

30 posts, read 178,067 times
I live in the area. This is the western side of RH about 10-15 minutes from I77. This is considered a good area of RH. Crime or traffic is not an issue. Advantages of York county/RH area include much lower real estate taxes. lower housing prices, less crime, less traffic congestion, Education Lottery which pays up to $20,000 for higher education.

If I was traveling to Charlotte often, this area would not be my first choice in RH. You have to cross the entire town to get to I77. Living closer to 77 would save you 30 minutes per round trip. But a good deal on a house may make it work it.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:17 PM

36 posts, read 186,403 times
Default Hollis Lakes & Heckle Blvd.

If you are buying, I'd say No to Barron Estates. Yes to The Plantation or Ole Woods, and Yes to the neighborhood that I can't remember the name of that starts with a W. Winter...???

There is a proposed Low Income Tax Credit Apartment Complex behind the Church on the corner of Heckle & Hollis Lakes. They might start on it in the next year or two, if it is approved.

This will really increase foot traffic and auto traffic in the immediate area.

Renting, any of them would be OK.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:34 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,974,480 times
Peyton, that is a good area ... you will be convenient to grocery stores, some good restaurants, post office, the YMCA Wellness Ctr on Heckle ... if you have children that is one of the better school zones.

The commute is not bad ... what area of Charlotte do you work? Ebenezer Ave can be a pain sometimes (traffic wise) ... of course so can Celanese Rd. But what area isn't when people are trying to get to work ... South Blvd & 485 can be nightmares anytime. I was born and raised here and worked in Charlotte for many years. It is well worth it financially to live on this side of the border. We live NW on Heckle in the Newport community.

One thing you might want to ask your realtor ... is the home located in the city limits of Rock Hill ... if so ask about the RH City taxes as you will pay city taxes and York County taxes on your vehicles and real property ... of course you will have the benefits of the city services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties