Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does anyone care??
Democratic Coroner 1 10.00%
Republican Coroner 2 20.00%
Who really gives a crap? 7 70.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:27 PM

628 posts, read 2,079,295 times

Advertisements

I've been noticing a lot of campaign signs for the coroner of York County. I never even knew it was a political position! Does anyone....I mean ANYONE even care who the coroner is???? Does a coroner have political pull??? What's the difference between a Democratic or a Republican Coroner??
Is there a Coroner debate??? What the heck is this all about. This is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in politics.

I'll vote for Quincy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 04:58 PM

474 posts, read 1,749,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
I've been noticing a lot of campaign signs for the coroner of York County. I never even knew it was a political position! Does anyone....I mean ANYONE even care who the coroner is???? Does a coroner have political pull??? What's the difference between a Democratic or a Republican Coroner??
Is there a Coroner debate??? What the heck is this all about. This is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in politics.

I'll vote for Quincy!!!
I'm not sure why it's a political office, but around here it may draw some interest because the past coroner has had some "legal issues"....

Old 10-28-2008, 09:37 PM

56 posts, read 173,802 times
I've wondered the same thing! There's coroner bumper stickers, signs all over the place.. At the Baxter Block party, one of them had a van all painted up right in the middle of it. And the slogan... "A fresh new start".. for a coroner? Really? Maybe it's just me, but even the names "Skidmore" and "Gast" ... The whole thing is just surreal And I agree, what *is* the difference between a Republican and Democrat coroner?

<insert death tax joke here>

I'm sure there's a big back story, and I'm sure there's lots of drama and history, but I've got plenty of other things competing for what few free brain cycles I have left these days. Honestly, I'm just holding my breath until the whole election circus is over.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:02 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,558,792 times
The coroner is actually a pretty important office if ever one of your family members winds up dead. They are not medical examiners but they are involved in the investigation of deaths of many kinds. A half-ass coroner may not order further investigation when it is merited.

S.C. Code of Laws Title 17 Chapter 5 Coroners And Medical Examiners - www.scstatehouse.net-LPITS

Old 10-30-2008, 09:28 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,536,430 times
I recently moved to the Upstate (from NC) and have been interested to see a LOT of signs for a coroner candidate running in whatever county Chesnee is in. I knew it was elected office in some places, but was not aware that people actually campaigned for it.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:50 PM

56 posts, read 173,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
The coroner is actually a pretty important office if ever one of your family members winds up dead. They are not medical examiners but they are involved in the investigation of deaths of many kinds. A half-ass coroner may not order further investigation when it is merited.

S.C. Code of Laws Title 17 Chapter 5 Coroners And Medical Examiners - www.scstatehouse.net-LPITS
I agree.. that's what makes the whole thing so odd.

From that PDF in your earlier post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Pretty good slide show
http://www7.nationalacademies.org/stl/June%20Forensics%20Hanzlick.pdf (broken link) - Look on slide 15

It looks like South Carolina doesn't even require that the coroner has formal training. So making it a political office without any formal training requirements pretty much sets the stage for it to be filled by someone who is "half-ass", doesn't it?

Sure, as part of the vote you're supposed to look at the person's qualifications - but (especially) in a presidential election cycle, the majority of people aren't going to take the time to do the homework. They're just going to vote Democrat or Republican down the line. Which, I suppose, is why the coroners choose their party affiliations, even though it has absolutely nothing to do with their job. Cue the yard signs, bumper stickers, painted vans parked in strategic places, and it's just another political campaign. But in my opinion it's too important of a job to be chosen this way without regard for qualifications.

I'm sure there are good, qualified coroners in the state, but I'm just saying...

Old 10-31-2008, 06:28 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,990 times
I've been trying to find out more information on the candidates myself but haven't had much luck. Other than someone having formal training for the job even though it is not required, what would make someone a good coroner? Does anyone know anything about the candidates?

Old 10-31-2008, 07:01 AM

425 posts, read 1,571,596 times
Apparently, or at least what a neighbor told me when I asked why she cared one of the canidates has a medical backround and the county would not have to call in a medical expert thus it would save money. I am not sure if I buy into that thought process or not.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:41 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,558,792 times
The other argument is that the other candiate has an "investigative" background, but I think he is a private detective.

Actually I would like to see a good law enforcement officer take the post. I am impressed how well, stone-faced, some of them can read people.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:31 AM

153 posts, read 474,609 times
I made the following recommendation on another subject recently ... when you want more information on York County issues, check the WRHI "Straight Talk" program archives for podcasts:

Schedule & Archive | WRHI 1340 - Talk Radio (http://www.wrhi.com/content/schedule-archive - broken link)

At the above link, you'll find 1/2 hour interviews with both candidates for the County Coroner job ... listen as you're doing something on your computer, or load them on an iPod.

Also look over the information each candidate provides on their website:

Sabrina Gast for Coroner York County SC

Home

With regards to party affiliations, I presume candidates align themselves with one party or another for both personal and practical reasons. I believe, in some states, it is easier to get on the ballot with a party endorsement. It may also make it easier to operate the coroner's office if you belong to the same party as the sheriff, the local judge, the solicitor and the county council.

>> ... one of the canidates has a medical backround and the county would not have to call in a medical expert thus it would save money.

That would not be entirely correct. An "expert" may be needed to actually determine a cause of death, and / or to provide testimony about the cause of death in a court proceding.

Sabrina Gast states on her website that she has qualified locally to provide expert testimony in three areas of the entire medical field ... but, that may be three more areas than her opponent. I might consider her 2 years as acting coroner a stronger reason to consider electing her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties