Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 12:13 AM

8 posts, read 28,018 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell anything about Hickory Grove?
I am planing on moving there and would like to know anything anyone can tell me about it.
I really need some help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 12:51 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,993,700 times
Hickory Grove is in Western York County ... there's not much to tell you ... population might be 500 now. It is a beautiful rural area ... off the beaten path ... what do you want to know about that area ... schools? jobs?? shopping?? It is located in York County and if you are purchasing a home you will have property tax annually as well as tax on your vehicle(s) annually.

If you could be more specific as there is not much to say about that area, other then it's country. If you plan on having cows ... they have a good slaughter house ... we've used them in the past.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:23 PM

8 posts, read 28,018 times
I have been told that there are a lot of older homes, from the earily 1900. I like those types of homes. Do you know of the history of the area and the older homes? Tax wise, do you have a general idea what they are based on and how much for homes. Also crime in the area, any information on it?
Thank you for any help you can give me.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:03 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,993,700 times
Have you been to Hickory Grove ... if not you really need to visit and look around. Sharon is 5 miles from Hickory Grove ... Filbert is 10 miles. All of that area is 'blink your eyes' and you will miss it ... Hickory Grove and Sharon are both incorporated townships so you would pay city (town) taxes (if you buy a home within the city limits) and county taxes ... Filbert is the home of our US Rep John Spratt ... it was disincorporated a few years ago.

Yes you will find plenty of old homes all over that area ... but their ancestors came over on the Mayflower. It's one of those 'you ain't from around here 'r you' places.

This attachment is the York County Government website ... when you open this ... click Online Services and the last item on the drop down menu is 'Rollback Tax Calculator' ... click on that and on the right side of the page you will see 2008 Millage rates and how to estimate real estate tax. Click on the 2008 millage rates and a page will open ... down at the bottom is the city levy rates including Hickory Grove. That is this year's info ... they won't post 2009 until after the first of the year.

York County Gov

The area is beautiful but you have to go to York, Clover or Blacksburg to shop. Blacksburg is easy access to I-85 which takes you north to Gastonia and Charlotte NC or south to Gaffney, Spartanburg SC.

Hickory Grove doesn't have it's own police department ... the York County Sheriff's Dept handles that area ... you can access the Sheriff's Dept from the York County Gov website and they may have crime statistics for that area. The only bank in Hickory Grove closed some time ago but I think Sharon still has one bank (not sure.)

The newspaper Enquirer Herald covers the news from Western York County. You can access the Lake Wylie and Rock Hill Herald from this page too.

Enquirer Herald

I am not trying to discourage you ... but if you haven't visited the area ... you really need to check it out.

Good luck!

Old 10-22-2009, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,884 times
Cool Hickory Grove

Hickory Grove is a sleepy town 15 min., from grocery shopping along with Walmart, Walgreens and fast food restaurants. We are also 50 min. to charlotte International Airport. Downtown Charlotte along with hospitals and doctors is about one hour away. We have excellent roads, little crime and if you are outgoing and wish to make friends prepare to do this in another town such as Lake Wylie where you can have a boat (public dock) and enjoy our wonderful climate. Lake Wylie is 30 min. away and has several decent restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties