Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,654 times

Advertisements

My husband and I own a home in Maryland on 1.6 acres, but we love the Carolinas and always planned to live there. Twice this past summer, we visited Huntersville and Mint Hill, NC. Both areas are very nice, but somewhat pricey and most of the subdivisions do not accommodate our 6 pets (2 dogs and 4 cats). We do not have children nor plan to ever have any so school districts are not an issue for us. A realtor suggested that we research Ft. Mill and Clover. We are planning a trip there in December to check out the area.

Our main concern is employment and where we have to go to find it, as well as shopping, grocery stores and entertainment located in or near Clover. Does Clover or the surrounding area have a Costco or Sam's Club (warehouses for buying products in bulk)? For the past five years, I have been employed as a government contractor on a military installation located 11 miles from my home, and for the past 13 years, my husband has been employed in the automobile business, as well as own his own side business. He has a bachelor's degree in business, and he desperately wants to change careers. Mapquest shows that Charlotte is within 45 minutes of Clover. Do most working residents of Clover commute to Charlotte for work?

Where can we get the most bang for our buck? What is the property tax rate and are homeowner association fees high? Are there any subdivisions or areas in Clover we should avoid? Are homes built on crawlspaces and/or slabs and is there anything we should look out for in that regard. Here in the east, most homes have basements like our house, and we have never had an issue with flooding or smell in our basement.

Please give me the facts--good and bad. We want to make a move to a place where we want to stay for a very long time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 11:25 AM

396 posts, read 977,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueabeagle View Post
My husband and I own a home in Maryland on 1.6 acres, but we love the Carolinas and always planned to live there. Twice this past summer, we visited Huntersville and Mint Hill, NC. Both areas are very nice, but somewhat pricey and most of the subdivisions do not accommodate our 6 pets (2 dogs and 4 cats). We do not have children nor plan to ever have any so school districts are not an issue for us. A realtor suggested that we research Ft. Mill and Clover. We are planning a trip there in December to check out the area.

Our main concern is employment and where we have to go to find it, as well as shopping, grocery stores and entertainment located in or near Clover. Does Clover or the surrounding area have a Costco or Sam's Club (warehouses for buying products in bulk)? For the past five years, I have been employed as a government contractor on a military installation located 11 miles from my home, and for the past 13 years, my husband has been employed in the automobile business, as well as own his own side business. He has a bachelor's degree in business, and he desperately wants to change careers. Mapquest shows that Charlotte is within 45 minutes of Clover. Do most working residents of Clover commute to Charlotte for work?

Where can we get the most bang for our buck? What is the property tax rate and are homeowner association fees high? Are there any subdivisions or areas in Clover we should avoid? Are homes built on crawlspaces and/or slabs and is there anything we should look out for in that regard. Here in the east, most homes have basements like our house, and we have never had an issue with flooding or smell in our basement.

Please give me the facts--good and bad. We want to make a move to a place where we want to stay for a very long time!
I live in Fort Mill and it's a way better commute into Charlotte from FM than from Clover. There's not much in Clover as far as shopping and restaurants (from what I myself have seen, I've kinda just "driven thru it" so I don't want to say for sure), but you'll get more land (something good for pets) and probably more bang for your buck. I need to be near a large city myself (if I can't get to a grocery store in less than 15 minutes, it's not for me!).

I've lived in upstate NY and California so I can tell you that the Charlotte area is very corporate and jobs are harder to find outside of the actual city.

The HOA fees don't seem to be too bad (around $200 annually, some are more).

You won't find basements here (something I desperately miss!), except for the occasional "walk-out" where the basement sits have in a lot and half out (on a slope) - and you'll generally pay through the nose for that. Most homes are on slabs, but some of the older neighborhoods are crawl space.

Close to Fort Mill is Indian Land - it is so nice and building up fast. That shouldn't be a bad commute into Charlotte at all.

It seems you are set on SC, but NC has great areas, too. I hear wonderful things about Union County, but I can't tell you home prices (but you could probably do a search). NC does have higher taxes, but I don't think you pay property tax on your vehicle there (you DO pay property tax on your vehicles in SC).

I can't think of any real negatives. Our experience in SC has been pretty good. Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties