Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

The question then becomes, "Why is a stormwater fee better than raising property taxes?"

When you raise property taxes, you are placing the "stormwater burden" on the people who have high property values. So let's say someone has a 5 acre plot of undeveloped land that is valued at $1 million. That land is undeveloped, so it actually discharges very little into the public system. It makes no sense to charge that person for stormwater.

When you create a stormwater fee, the idea is to have a unique sort of fee that places the burden on the people with the biggest buildings, the biggest parking lots, and the most concrete. In most cities in North Carolina, a single-family home pays a flat rate. (In my city it is $5/month). All other property owners pay a fee based on how much impervious surface they have on their property. Here, non-single-family properties pay $5/month for every 2,500 square feet of impervious (any buildings, hard surfaces, and anything that is driven upon, like gravel). This way, the people who "use stormwater service" (whether they know it or not) are the ones who shoulder the stormwater fee burden.

However, if I'm understanding you correctly, you have a stormwater fee where everyone pays the exact same amount, whether they have a 1,000,000 square foot parking lot, or whether they have a 2 bedroom ranch home. That would defeat the purpose of having a seperate stormwater fee, I think.

Last edited by le roi; 12-04-2008 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 08:49 PM

8 posts, read 40,471 times
Default NPDES Permit

Tega Cay has had a NPDES Phase II stormwater permit since August of 2007, but their new Stormwater Utility Fee (Ordinance #353) claims that they have to apply for the NPDES Phase II.I am now looking at a copy of Tega Cay's permit and they have had this since Aug. of 2007.The problem is that the City Council seems to get herded into rubber stamping a lot of these programs that enhance the City's revenue take.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:02 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagertegacayer View Post
Tega Cay has had a NPDES Phase II stormwater permit since August of 2007, but their new Stormwater Utility Fee (Ordinance #353) claims that they have to apply for the NPDES Phase II.I am now looking at a copy of Tega Cay's permit and they have had this since Aug. of 2007.The problem is that the City Council seems to get herded into rubber stamping a lot of these programs that enhance the City's revenue take.
The NPDES permitting process is confusing. I'm not involved with it directly, but I know enough to say that it isn't a one-shot deal. It is something that is renewed annually or semi-annually.

I would imagine that your city council didn't have much choice in the matter. Non-compliance results in the EPA getting more involved, and not in a good way.

If I were a concerned citizen of Tega Cay, I would not be so worried about the stormwater fee's existence, I would be worried about whether it was being charged to those who place the most burden on the system. It is a utility, after all, and those with more stormwater runoff should pay higher fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties