Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:26 PM

305 posts, read 1,801,910 times

Advertisements

We are moving to York or Lancaster counties in SC sometime between April and May 2009.

Our budget is for a single family home under $150,000. My husband is a service-connect 100% disabled Veteran so we know that property tax is an exclusion for us in SC (well, that's what I read anyways).

It would have to be a 1-story (no steps), no pool, 2 br / 2 bath, with a garage (if possible) and built within the last year.

Or, if anyone knows of future developments (I doubt it in this economy) that would be very beneficial.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 03:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,616,889 times
Avery Lae-or VIllage, can't remember which, is for low-income folks and is fairly new. Other than that, I believe you'll have trouble finding a new home at that price in the Ft. Mill area. I have been keeping an eye on houses as I want to move there and I haven't seen any. Why does it have to be new? You could find an older house in that range, I think. Please tell your husband "thank you" for his service to our country.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:44 PM

245 posts, read 1,016,667 times
You can easily find a new home in Lancaster County for that price and even lower. Check some of the real estate sites. I think Hunters Ridge & Sedgefield have them for that price and they are nice. Our local realtors are Coldwell Banker, Allen Tate and Core Reality. Zip code for Lancaster is 29720.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:21 PM

SouthernBelle:

Would a $150k home be considered low income housing? We can afford more, but since we're retired now. we don't want to leave ourselves short in case something falls apart and we have to repair it. Plus, because husband is disabled, we'll have to hire out for things a handyperson would do, including lawn maintenance, bug spraying, etc.

When I said new I was really think in terms of nothing more than 5 years old. I guess I should have clarified what I meant and I'm sorry about that.

JAMRASC ... I've been checking out Allen Tate's site down there. I'm impressed with that organization. But I don't want to get lost in an organization that large. I'll be checking them out this week. We're pretty basic kind of folks and don't want anything fancy-schmancy. Just solid, safe, and simple.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:26 PM

245 posts, read 1,016,667 times
I don't consider $150,000 low income housing. Most folks in this area live in houses in that range. Indian Land and Fort Mill are much more expensive, but here in Lancaster, it's not bad at all. Allen Tate is large, but the realtors are mostly local and are very friendly and personable. Same with Coldwell Banker.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:29 PM

714 posts, read 2,297,312 times
Definitely check out Lancaster. The "panhandle" of Lancaster stretches all the way up toward Mecklenburg, and "Indian Land" in Lancaster County, is actually sort of on loan to a Fort Mill post office so you end up having a Fort Mill zip code (29707). I believe this region is known as area "26" in the Charlotte real estate listings, to help you guide your search. It's a nice area with an enormous range in home values, from probably 150k (I'm guessing, seems like there must be some around here) to much higher. You can have a modest home within a nice area.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebopop View Post
SouthernBelle:

Would a $150k home be considered low income housing? We can afford more, but since we're retired now.
I might be totally stupid, but is Sun City down in Lancaster (Indian Land) in the right price range? If you are retired, I hear that's an amazing community. I am 37 and am envious of all they have going on down there!!

Old 11-16-2008, 05:34 PM

I don't have a clue. I'm in PA. Didn't even know there WAS a Sun City in Lancaster County.

(Funny thing ... I live in Lancaster County up here too!)

Old 11-16-2008, 05:42 PM

I have been to Lancaster County in Pennsylvania! Love it there!

The development is called "Sun City Carolina Lakes" by Del Webb. They have build "Sun City" retirement communities all across the country.

While trying to Google more information for you, I discovered that Google actually seems to have a real estate search. (Sweet!) Here is the link I pulled up, Googling homes under $150k in zip code 29707 (Indian Land, SC).

29707 - Google Maps

Old 11-16-2008, 05:49 PM

2,361 posts, read 4,848,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
I might be totally stupid, but is Sun City down in Lancaster (Indian Land) in the right price range? If you are retired, I hear that's an amazing community. I am 37 and am envious of all they have going on down there!!
I live in Sun City and it is in Lancaster Co., but the community is age restricted at least one person living in the house has to be age 55 or over.

You can look here at adult communities, 55+ Active Adult, Age Restricted & Active Lifestyle Communities SC South Carolina , and if you look down the list on the second column from the right and see if the community is age restricted or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties