Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:18 AM

41 posts, read 112,155 times

Advertisements

We just purchased a new home In the Reserve at Gold Hill In Fort Mill, We are not sure if we should get a 3rd party home inspection. We close on Dec 31st. We asked our realtor and on New homes, he said people are 50% on getting one. We heard many good things about the Reserve and the construction of Standard Pacific homes. We can't wait to move. Any advice would be appreciated. Any other Reserve homeowners out there? We would love to meet new families

Thanks Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 07:43 AM

151 posts, read 568,995 times
Absolutely get one. We were scheduled to close a contract on a new home out on Doby's Bridge, all looked great. We had a home inspection done, and that's when we found out how shoddy the construction was. The thing that drove us away was the prospect for mold. The contract had lots of legal verbage and releases for mold damages on a brand new home (standard verbage). What we found was that the grading on the propoerty caused water to drain under the home, where we found 1 to 2 inches of standing water. Mildew and mold had already started to grow on a new house. We cancelled the contract, and had to fight in small claims court to get our deposit back, where we eventually did get prevail. There were many other less concerning items found on the inspection, trivial in some respects, but at least we knew they were there. This is your last chance to walk away from the home should something not be quite right. The $300/$400 bucks may save you several thousand down the road. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2008, 10:17 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,591,515 times
Second absolutely! You just never know what the builder may have innocently missed, as well as actual negligence.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:07 PM

225 posts, read 687,967 times
Better safe, than sorry.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:07 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,896,743 times
Get one! We had one pre-drywall (inspector found a cracked truss, which builder repaired) and had him back for a second time now that the house is about done. He found some things (gas leak in fireplace, dishwasher hose not hooked up properly, some problems with shingles...). It was money well spent. He found things that we never would have spotted ourselves, and we've built before.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:41 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,833,396 times
Welcome to the Reserve, neighbor-to-be. I had an inspection done. I can recommend the person who did it for us if you want. Send me a DM if you need the contact info. He was very thorough...Congratulations on your purchase!

Old 12-15-2008, 01:33 PM

3,364 posts, read 9,982,603 times
Our inspection hardly found anything worth worrying about.

Inspection $350
Peace of mind - Priceless

Old 12-16-2008, 06:53 AM

41 posts, read 112,155 times
Thanks everyone for your input. the house was inspected yesterday, the inspector found some little things, nothing deal breaking. The inspector was actually a contractor for over 15 yearsand said overall thaqt the house is built very well. The Builder is going to correct the problems before our final walk though. Cant wait to move. Thanks to all!

Mike

Old 12-16-2008, 08:44 AM

112 posts, read 363,336 times
Can someone PM me some recommendations for inspectors in/around Ft. Mill? Much appreciated.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:45 PM

193 posts, read 632,135 times
Get one done, or better yet two: pre-drywall and pre-closing.

Even if you are pretty savvy on construction, electrical, plumbing, etc., this will give you a second data point to back up your observations. I made a big list of problems I found on our house, and the builder treated most of the items as "picky homeowner" stuff. Even though many of the items were not up to code. It took a lot of arguing but I was finally able to get most (but not all) fixed.

On the few remaining items, I am planning on getting an inspector to produce a report to back me up. Even though the warranty period is up, I did submit the issues prior to that. They just haven't fixed them yet.

Our neighbor did have an inspection done, and the builder seemed a lot more responsive (we had many of the same issues, with the same builder). The builder tried to tell them that they built to Mecklenburg county code (even though we live in York county IN A DIFFERENT STATE!!!). His inspector helped him push past that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties