Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 02:16 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,600 times

Advertisements

This is the only station so far I found that I could actually tolerate, no rap, no country, but rather oldies, and it is located in Waxhaw.

Today, all day it was a spanish show? Anyone know what is going on?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 08:46 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
In Summer 2006 ABC merged Stardust with its Memories format. The merger caused Stardust to leave its standards heritage behind, playing most of the same "timeless favorites" but moving more in an oldies direction, with most of the big-band standards being recent recordings. WNMX still played many of the older records on the local morning show. Ironically, the Timeless Favorites format had evolved into the format that listeners rejected in 1997.

On February 12, 2008 WNMX changed their format to 60s-70s oldies[6], branded as "Oldies 106.1". The station also changed its call sign to WOLS, which was moved from an AM station in Florence, South Carolina. That station took on the call sign "WOLH".

On January 1, 2009, Norsan Media will take over WOLS, which will pick up "La Raza," the Regional Mexican format of WGSP-FM[7]. The station will broadcast Spanish language music and other information.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:05 PM

208 posts, read 633,721 times
Being in the radio business, I know quite a bit about this situation. Here is my explanation..

Oldies 106.1 is gone. They are now under an LMA (local marketing agreement) to Norsan Media, who operates Spanish stations... meaning the owner of the 106.1 frequency has "leased" all of the airtime [24 hours] to Norsan, just like a shopping center leases space. So the people running 106.1 a week ago no longer have any say-so over what goes on. The Hispanic broadcaster is in control. If some issue or fallen-out happened between Norsan and the owner of 106.1 (GHB Broadcasting), then Oldies 106.1 MAY return. But I wouldn't bank on it.

You can hear Ken Conrad, formerly of mornings on WOLS, on 1150 WAVO-AM who carries a similar format. Other choices for oldies would be 90.3 WRBK (from Richburg, SC, covers Rock Hill and Fort Mill VERY well) with no commercials or in Charlotte, Magic 94.1 WTHZ (a Greensboro station).

Sorry if this is weird....its just my business and passion, lol.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:01 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,600 times
Thank you all. I was so stunned when I kept hearing the ahem "new" format. I
never heard anything from the DJ's stating anything about this. Seems to me there are enough Spanish speaking radio stations down here already. But it was their choice. I think it was a bad one.

I already pick up 94.1 once in awhile, but it's signal is not real strong sometimes.
The 1150 am station and 90.3 will be set on my radio TODAY.

I'm a happy camper again.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:31 AM

208 posts, read 633,721 times
Here's the website for 1150 WAVO, if you're interested 1150 WAVO Charlotte Rock Hill NC Radio Station
They are more along the lines of easy listening, I think.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:21 AM

153 posts, read 474,347 times
>> I never heard anything from the DJ's stating anything about this.

The Saturday morning gardening program hosts were telling listeners that their program was moving to WAVO after New Years, but I don't think they alluded to the reason behind the move.

I've enjoyed listening for the adult standards on WAVO for maybe two months. Their signal extends up into areas of Charlotte fairly well during the daytime, but is almost non-existent in Indian Land when they go to the nightime antenna pattern and lower power level.

A direct link to the station's online broadcasting:

Live365 - Player Window

or you can connect through WAVO's website at www.1150wavo.com

Old 01-19-2009, 07:39 PM

168 posts, read 481,110 times
Default Habla Espanol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
This is the only station so far I found that I could actually tolerate, no rap, no country, but rather oldies, and it is located in Waxhaw.

Today, all day it was a spanish show? Anyone know what is going on?

Funny, I think they switched to an all Spanish format. Too bad, it was the only station that came in clear on my shower radio!!. I listen to 90.3. and also I think its 104.something!

Old 01-25-2009, 04:25 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,219 times
Whatta shame... 106.1 was a nice station to wake up to in the morning. The music was not too harsh and you'd hear stuff that wasn't overplayed on the "classic rock" stations.

I'm set on 107.1 (country) to wake up to, now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties