Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 07:40 AM

9 posts, read 33,518 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are relocating to SC very soon and just spent the last week looking in the York County area. We've determined Fort Mill is where we want to live. We really, really liked the Carowinds Subdivision(or so we thought). Our realtor sent us a listing in Van Wyck, and we really like the house...It's everything we want. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons between Fort Mill and Van Wyck? We have no children, so schools are really not an issue, but on the listing it mentions Indian Land Schools??? Most likely will be working in Rock Hill or Charlotte area. We are looking to keep our comute under 45 minutes. Is that possible from Van Wyck?

Thanks for the help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 11:31 AM

I'm sorry It's Carowoods Subdivision....

Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
Van Wyck is farther, more rural and less accessible to Rock Hill or Charlotte. I would recommend Fort Mill over Van Wyck due to the larger presence of commercial establishments (groceries, banks, restaurants,etc.) as well as churches and recreational facilities.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:03 AM

Thanks Bibit612, How far would we have to go for shopping etc, would Fort Mill be the most accessible place to Van Wyck? We like a rural area, but within reason... My other concern is resale??? If for some reason we want to sell within say 4-5 years. Is Van Wyck considered "up and coming" at all?
I know Fort Mill seems to be on the way! That new school is amazing, makes me wish I was 14 again!

DJ

Old 01-31-2009, 08:31 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
There is a lot of shopping straight up 521 from Van Wyck. Definitely further than if you lived in Carowoods [ about 8-10 miles vs < 1 mile ]

Resale - My kids have been out of school for awhile but I think Fort Mill Schools are still considered the place to be and Carowoods is in the Gold Hill District, no? The Carowoods homes are probably older - 1980s or so.

I have not been in VanWyck for about a year but it was pretty much just a spot in the road off the road with nothing around it. Lancaster county has lower taxes than York county but I imaging that wil change as population spreads into the county.

The whole area is on street view in google maps so can can drive around and look from your computer and msn earth has some awesome aerials.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:32 PM

196 posts, read 619,530 times
VanWyck hands down but ask 5 people and probably get 5 answers. It all depends on what you are looking for but if you do not have children VanWyck I think would be very good. Yes Fort Mill schools are good but so are Indianland. We moved to the area 2+ years ago and clearly remember the searching. VanWyck is a more expensive, quiet, rural community that is close to many things. Many Fort Mill residents will say well you are closer to things but that comes from many people who came from the city and walked to everything they needed, others who came from areas that were not city do not think anything about the short drives. Yes 521 has a lot of shopping for usual stuff and more are opening every day. Rock Hill is a drive down Hwy 5 to 21, maybe 25 minutes at the most and it depends where in Rock Hill. VanWyck has older homes but not ancient, mostly homes with character while 1/2 of Fort Mill is older homes, 1/4 is cookie cutter building boom homes that look very similar with very little property and the final 1/4 are very nice larger building boom homes again with little property.

Again it all depends on what you are looking for. Land and quiet ? VanWyck hands down...Little to no driving, little yard to maintain and home owners associations ? Fort Mill. Also Fort Mill has plenty to chose from and probably cheap now, there are a lot of vacant spec homes from the boom 1-2 years ago while VanWyck did not see the boom and is a small community with few homes for sale. We looked there and liked it but we wanted some land 10+ acres and could not find a home for sale that fit our needs. Actually at that time there was only 1-2 homes for sale in the community and we ended up all the way on the other side of York County where it was cheaper and bought 30 acres. It takes us 20-25 minutes to get to town and roughly 40-45 minutes to get to Rock Hill, I can't hear the cars driving down the street from my home and I like it that way so I am willing to do the drive.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:08 PM

14 posts, read 49,522 times
when considering Van Wyck & proximity to amenities ... Van Wyck is closer to Lancaster, SC than Fort Mill. Lancaster is often overlooked - here's some info: 29seven20.com

Old 02-08-2009, 06:42 PM

19 posts, read 68,887 times
Not much around Van Wyck. If you are gonna be working in Charlotte/Rock Hill, I'd definitely go for Fort Mill. Van Wyck is a little haul, even to Fort Mill.

It's alright though, small. I once saw a guy who sold a few Bojangle's resteraunts off, and had a brand new Ferrari outside the post office in Van Wyck. Haha. Thought it was kinda neat for a little old town.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:13 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,338 times
TOTALLY depends on what you want. If I wanted a horse farm (which I do want one day) or acreage or just a very rural setting, I'd pick Van Wyck. If I liked convenience and location and good schools I'd pick Fort Mill. The same house is going to be much cheaper in Van Wyck than Fort Mill and you'll probably get more acreage. Indianland schools are not bad but Fort Mill schools are excellent.

Fort Mill is mostly suburbia. Van Wyck is VERY rural.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:15 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29seven20 View Post
when considering Van Wyck & proximity to amenities ... Van Wyck is closer to Lancaster, SC than Fort Mill. Lancaster is often overlooked - here's some info: 29seven20.com
From Van Wyck to Lancaster is still quite a ways, at least by my standards but yes it is closer to Lancaster than to Charlotte or Fort Mill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties