U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 02:03 PM

12 posts, read 30,590 times

Advertisements

Hi all, looking to escape from NJ my family to Rock Hill as soon as I sell here. Eventually we would like to get a Rottweiler puppy. Are there any Local or county restrictions on the dog breed to be aware of beforehand? Any info would be helpful in case we need to lower our 8 yr. old's expectations. Thanks !
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 02:32 PM

969 posts, read 2,807,754 times
Why in God's name someone would buy a rott intentionally is beyond me. Maybe I'm more responsible, but who knows.....

Old 02-06-2009, 02:46 PM

14 posts, read 47,200 times
gaflsc- are you implying that Rottweilers are inherently dangerous? If so, breed profiling is tantamount to racial profiling. I say this as an owner of a rescued, dangerously drooling Pit Bull (who thinks he is a lap dog).

With that said, will you be renting or buying a home? My experience trying to find a rental was A) my "dangerous breed" was not allowed, or B) everyone and every dog they know, come on over!

In closing, I always encourage people who want a purebreed pet to re-think it; there are so many animals in shelters that just want to go home! Here in Lancaster County, over 5,000 animals are gassed (yes- put into a gas chamber) each year... while people clamor for inbred animals from puppy mills. The majority of animals in shelters have committed no crime, except being born & unwanted.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:56 PM

969 posts, read 2,807,754 times
29seven20, that's exactly what I'm implying.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:35 PM

3,630 posts, read 14,047,856 times
A good Rott with a knowledgeable owner is a fine dog. The issue is proper genetics, leadership, and training. An 8 year old child is old enough to bring a puppy into the home as well.

There are no breed restrictions in SC but you may find some issues with homeowners insurance.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:33 PM

23 posts, read 67,698 times
Unfortunately, homeowner's insurance is a factor - kind of limits your choices to dogs of the smaller, yappier variety.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
29seven20, that's exactly what I'm implying.
I remember the New Yorker had a great piece on "What pit bulls can teach us about racial profiling" . here's a link: Annals of Public Policy: Troublemakers: The New Yorker (maybe you'd like to read it)

here's some excerpts:

"The dogs that bite people are, in many cases, socially isolated because their owners are socially isolated, and they are vicious because they have owners who want a vicious dog. The junk-yard German shepherd—which looks as if it would rip your throat out—and the German-shepherd guide dog are the same breed. But they are not the same dog, because they have owners with different intentions."

"The kinds of dogs that kill people change over time, because the popularity of certain breeds changes over time. The one thing that doesn’t change is the total number of the people killed by dogs. When we have more problems with pit bulls, it’s not necessarily a sign that pit bulls are more dangerous than other dogs. It could just be a sign that pit bulls have become more numerous."

"“I’ve seen virtually every breed involved in fatalities, including Pomeranians and everything else, except a beagle or a basset hound,” Randall Lockwood, a senior vice-president of the A.S.P.C.A. and one of the country’s leading dogbite experts."

Old 02-07-2009, 12:21 AM

10,109 posts, read 10,395,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapefromNJ View Post
Hi all, looking to escape from NJ my family to Rock Hill as soon as I sell here. Eventually we would like to get a Rottweiler puppy. Are there any Local or county restrictions on the dog breed to be aware of beforehand? Any info would be helpful in case we need to lower our 8 yr. old's expectations. Thanks !
Some developments have certain dog breed restrictions but the county has never restricted any breed. Just be sure and ask your realtor when you look for a place to live if there is any type of dog breed restrictions. Here is the Animal Control section of the York County website ... there is a phone number and you can call and inquire.

In December 2008 the York County Council had the 1st reading of a new proposed animal ordinance. This ordinance will contain a new law proposed for animal control, shelter requirements, and tethering restrictions.

On this website ... scroll down on left side near bottom you will see Documents and you can click on "Revised Animal Control Ordiance' you can wade through all their jargon as far as rules and regulations of the county.

Animal Control (http://www.yorkcountygov.com/Departments/DepartmentsNZ/PublicWorks/Divisions/AnimalControl/tabid/154/Default.aspx - broken link)

Over the years we have had Dobermans, a Chow, a Pit, 10 or 20 Heinz 57s, Peekapoo, a mentally challenged poodle, cats running out the ying yang, a horny pony, lop eared rabbits, prairie dogs, birds, as you know when one has children their life isn't their own. We have our own Pet Cemetery too and oh my goodness at the services the children would have for their beloved animals. And now the children are grown and gone and we have one spoiled rotten Boxer.

Last edited by CarolinaWoman; 02-07-2009 at 12:35 AM..

Old 02-07-2009, 01:35 AM

3,630 posts, read 14,047,856 times
But, I have had German Shepherd Dogs for over 25 years and have not had a problem with insurance. Been with State Farm and Travelers. I do think Pitts and Rotts have had some insurance challenges, but GSDs also do in a lot of places.

The main difference with the big breeds is a realization on the part of the owner concerning jaw strength and the dominant nature of some of the breeds as well as the poor breeding practices of many. When you realize the fact that a large dog can quickly kill a child it should give you an added level of responsibility. People who can realize they are dogs and not furbabies and raise them appropriately rarely have a problem.

Conversly, in a state where guns are everywhere, I was always more concerned about my kids when they went to friends houses because of the lax attitude of many parents.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:11 AM

12 posts, read 30,590 times
GrannyNancy and CarolinaWoman, thank you for your repsonse and information. It was exactly what I needed. We look forward to moving later on in the year and soon after, choosing a correctly bred puppy from a concerned and mature breeder which will be properly trained and socialized to avoid being a menace.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:48 PM

153 posts, read 445,850 times
>> There are no breed restrictions in SC but you may find some issues with homeowners insurance.

Dillon, S.C. has a containment ordinance specific to pitt bulls.

Travelers Rest, S.C. has a containment ordinance that includes rottweilers, pitt bulls and other breeds.

In the past year, York County, Lancaster County, Richland County and Bamberg County have all re-examined their ordinances after dog bit incidents.

On the state level, though, the legislature had a bill in committee last year to outlaw BSL (breed-specific laws) by local governments in the state. I haven't been able to find whether the bill died in committee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties