Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2007, 08:37 AM

6 posts, read 48,757 times

Advertisements

We are looking - just beginning to look - at moving to SC or NC from MA. My husband is a postal worker and I work for a domestic violence agency. I just read about Baxter Village in Fort Mill. We are looking for a good place to bring up our boys, low crime, mild weather and peace of mind. It's hectic up here in MA. It's cold, people are grouchy and competitive. What can you tell me about Fort Mill, SC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 08:48 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
Ft. Mill is a great area. Close to Lake Wylie, Carowinds (Six Flags-type theme/water park), greenway/parks, great schools, VERY safe, affordable (especially compared to MA), a state university nearby (Winthrop), and close to everything Charlotte has to offer. Good luck!!!

Old 03-16-2007, 11:19 AM

195 posts, read 230,960 times
I just moved to Fort Mill a week and a half ago from RI. So far, so good. My housing and car insurance bills are half what I was paying up North. The weather here has been beautiful, people are nice and friendly. Shopping is very convienent. We were looking for a safe, family friendly place for our kids and I think we have a winner in Fort Mill! I'm trying tp get my sister in Plymouth, MA to give Fort Mill a look because I think she would really like it here. It seems to be a much better quality of life than up there. The people in New England are provincial and unfriendly, it's terribly expensive, the weather is mostly awful---we couldn't wait to get out of there ourselves! Good luck!

Old 03-16-2007, 12:02 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
Fort Mill has a nice small town atmosphere but within 30 minutes of Charlotte, with a very comfortable climate. Spring and Fall are best, summer gets a little warm but not unbearable and winters are comparatively mild. There are tons of family oriented neighborhoods: Baxter Village, Knightsbridge, Tega Cay and more. You can go online for info on the schools: http://www.fort-mill.k12.sc.us. You might also want to try www.newcomer.com for info on Charlotte and surrounding areas. If you like to do a property search to view homes in the area try my website found under my profile. If you need more info just send me a pm.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:13 PM

6 posts, read 48,757 times
Thank you all so much!

Old 03-16-2007, 02:37 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
sameboat - your husband probably won't be able to get a postal job down here. My husband tried doing that and was told that the postal folks down here keep their jobs for DECADES because it's so cushy compared to "big cities"! *lol* So York County has a very LOW TURNOVER rate for postal jobs.

Having said that, Fort Mill is wonderful - feel free to read 90% of my posts, which are all gushing about the area. =)

and my2kidsmom - welcome to the area!!

Old 03-16-2007, 04:12 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameboat View Post
We are looking - just beginning to look - at moving to SC or NC from MA. My husband is a postal worker and I work for a domestic violence agency. I just read about Baxter Village in Fort Mill. We are looking for a good place to bring up our boys, low crime, mild weather and peace of mind. It's hectic up here in MA. It's cold, people are grouchy and competitive. What can you tell me about Fort Mill, SC?

Well, all I can do is agree with what everyone above me has said about Fort Mill (I am located in Tega Cay...another excellent place to live ).

I know someone that works in the PO in FM...and they feel very lucky to have gotten a job there...(course there's always the other surrounding town/city post offices for possible employment).

Old 03-25-2007, 08:47 PM

225 posts, read 689,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameboat View Post
Fort Mill is a very nice place and Baxter is one of the reasons why. Baxter offers so much to its residents. A lot of planning went into creating this community and the results speak for itself. There are alot of other communities in Fort Mill, that offer lower prices, but probably not the same immenties that Baxter has. A great place to live and one of the lowest crime rates, compared to the larger cities. (formerly from NYC). Good luck!

Old 03-26-2007, 03:20 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,259 times
Fort Mill was one of the area's best kept secrets, but the secret has been exposed...but that's not always a bad thing. It has extremely good schools and is just down the street from Charlotte. Carowinds is really close (which is a plus with the summer approaching). I've been to Baxter Village one time and I absolutely love that place...if I could afford a house somewhere like that, I think I'd have all I need
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties