Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 02:56 PM

187 posts, read 549,114 times

Advertisements

Time Warner stops their "tiered" internet pricing:
They're gone! After outcry, Time Warner uncaps the tubes - Ars Technica

What would it take to make the dolts over at Comporium wake up and do the same thing? They say they're not scared of TWC, yet they keep trying to block their entry into the market.

I hope they get this bill passed so those fools have to stop capping internet usage and charging more for more "usage" ability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 08:02 PM

161 posts, read 528,963 times
What has Comporium done to prevent TW from competing? I challenge you to name one thing. And, if Comporium caps internet usage it's news to me. TW (along with Comcast, Cox, etc) was one of the companies which proposed/experimented with usage limits, but Comporium has never announced caps. HOWEVER--IMHO all internet providers will eventually impose usuage limits---why should I pay for some guy who downloads 100 movies a month? Providers have to spend big bucks to beef up their facilities for the very heavy users. Why would I want to pay for that? Let the heavy users pay!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:22 AM

63 posts, read 298,912 times
Here you go, Dockets 2008-329-C and 2008-326-C, TWC's bid to provide phone service in most of York county is still up in the air. Comporium says they can't provide rural phone service at a reasonable rate if they don't have users in Fort Mill and Rock Hill to subsidize providing rural service and will be forced to raise rates on those customers if they have to compete with TWC.

TWC is not a great company either, but any competition for Comporium is good. They are not York County Natural gas who provides a low cost service passing the profits back to users as savings or expanding their system. Comporium is privately owned and passes the profits to the Barnes family while hiding behind a rural exemption.

When regulators gave Comporium the certificate of need to deliver phone and cable service it seemed like a good idea at the time and the area was much more rural. They had no idea how important the internet would become, or that it could be accessed by phone, cable, or wireless. So by default Comporium has become an unintended monopoly over internet access across almost all methods of access in our area. Wireless is the only method they don't control, but only because they don't control access to Verizons and TMoblies towers, they do own most of the towers providing AT&T service.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:58 PM

107 posts, read 319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog2 View Post
What has Comporium done to prevent TW from competing? I challenge you to name one thing. And, if Comporium caps internet usage it's news to me. TW (along with Comcast, Cox, etc) was one of the companies which proposed/experimented with usage limits, but Comporium has never announced caps. HOWEVER--IMHO all internet providers will eventually impose usuage limits---why should I pay for some guy who downloads 100 movies a month? Providers have to spend big bucks to beef up their facilities for the very heavy users. Why would I want to pay for that? Let the heavy users pay!
Here is comporium's data limit's:

Comporium Communications

As for your other statement on usage going up...

Current and near future usage does not come near to exceeding capacity on the lines and costs are far down (see link below). Tons of fiber and redundant lines are out there. The real issue here is the transition from cable TV service to sites such as Hulu, youtube, and netflix to name a few. Companies such as TW and comporium fear the onslaught of internet video and audio services since it means that there is less "eyeballs" and "ears" looking at their stations. They can't keep asking broadcasters for high fees if they can't provide the target audience for advertisements.

ISP Download Caps Not Dead, But Ought To Be | Epicenter from Wired.com

(paragraph 11)

Soon the real competition for these companies will be from serives such as WiMax and other distribution methods. Then hopefully we shall see some real innovation. There is no reason why the US should lag so far behind our European and Asian couterparts.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:34 AM

21 posts, read 48,998 times
As a former user of TW I must tell you that I'm scared. You may think that Comporium has a monopoly but you better pray that TW never has one in Rock Hill. This was a story of a small NC city that created their own ISP with resonable prices for their citizens and TW is trying to shut them down... wow.

Time Warner and Embarq can't compete with city-owned ISP, trying to outlaw it

True. TW has stopped capping... sort of. This was also from Arstechnica.

No data caps, no DOCSIS 3.0? TWC's math doesn't add up - Ars Technica

Old 04-24-2009, 03:04 PM

193 posts, read 633,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskratlove View Post
Here is comporium's data limit's:

Comporium Communications

After you hit Comporium's cap each month, I believe that they start throttling traffic (i.e.- things slow down). That is only from personal experience - when I work from home and transfer a lot of large files, spend a lot of time on the phone (VoIP), and do a lot of web surfing, it is pretty easy to exceed Comporium's caps.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 19,715 times
While Comporium has a stated cap, I don't believe they enforce it. At least not yet. I personally am a heavy internet user (mainly because of my business that I own and my field), but I haven't experienced any slow downs.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:12 PM

7 posts, read 31,389 times
WE NEED CHOICES!!! Comporium needs competition. Fort Mill is no longer in the 1950's....it's 2009 people!!!

Old 03-19-2011, 01:15 AM

3 posts, read 9,359 times
well we are gettin letters right now saying we are exceeding our limits , which again is bull we have 4 computers and 3 of which are netflix and justin tv users now comporium is gearing up to charge us for overage. ty comporium i love my net access to be exactly like a calling plan from 15 years ago ..... ty ty Idiots.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:39 AM

595 posts, read 1,621,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
well we are gettin letters right now saying we are exceeding our limits , which again is bull we have 4 computers and 3 of which are netflix and justin tv users now comporium is gearing up to charge us for overage. ty comporium i love my net access to be exactly like a calling plan from 15 years ago ..... ty ty Idiots.
Here are Comporium's new limits:

Monthly Rate Limits (http://www.comporium.com/uploads/legal/Int_Monthly_Rate_Limits3.htm - broken link)

What package do you have? I assume a package 3 that allows 300GB transfer limit.

You have to be downloading 10GBs of data every DAY to exceed that limit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties