Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 12:59 PM

209 posts, read 613,275 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am with Comporium right now, is there any other alternatives in Rock Hill? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 01:09 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,971,298 times

Welcome to Rock Hill !

Click on "Search" at the top of this page (York and Lancaster Counties) ... click on "Advanced Search" and type in Comporium and you will find all kinds of threads regarding internet in York County ... it's a horse that's been beat to death!

Old 04-21-2009, 07:58 AM

595 posts, read 1,623,312 times
Satellite & those Cell Phone Data Plans, but that probably won't be any better.

Welcome to the Comporium Monopoly.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:05 PM

329 posts, read 1,272,176 times
I am moving to Fort Mill next week and was curious if anyone knows how the Sprint 3G service is there - that is what I have and I am hoping I can avoid the Comporium Monoply with it

Old 04-21-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
Satellite & those Cell Phone Data Plans, but that probably won't be any better.

Welcome to the Comporium Monopoly.
Noooo leave satellite alone ... it is the pits ... I have it as it was my only alternative to Comporium. I spend lots of quality time with New Delhi and last week even the Philippines.

AT&T is advertising high speed internet without having their telephone system. I have a Comporium landline since I can't have any landline but Comporium. But this satellite has got to go! My son lives in Florida and he uses Sprint G3. When he visits it's not the greatest here but we live out in the country. Fort Mill maybe within the range of the G3 wireless network.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:49 AM

193 posts, read 633,928 times
I had the Sprint 3G card for my laptop and it worked fine in Tega Cay. I would still have it but work stopped reimbursing me for it. I travel a lot for business so it was very handy.

We have Comporium cable internet service. We are stuck with a wired service since we have multiple PCs that all need to access it.

You can buy routers into which you can plug the 3G cards, and then connect your PCs to these via WiFi. To the PC, these are indistinguishable form any other WiFi router. You do not have to do anything special to get the PC to connect to it, and the connection stays up. The set-up to connect to the 3G network is very simple as well, it took me about 5 minutes to get several PCs up and running on mine.

Here are some examples:

Amazon.com: Linksys Wireless-G Router for ATT&T/Cingular 3G/UMTS Broadband WRT54G3G - Wireless router + 4-port switch - EN, Fast EN, 802.11b, 802.11g: Electronics

D-Link DIR-450 3G Mobile Router for EV-DO Networks

These would be a viable option depending on your 3G reception/location.

They would not be good if you were going to do massive downloads, e.g.- online gaming, streaming HD video, etc. They might also not be ideal if you had a lot of people connected at once.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 AM

329 posts, read 1,272,176 times
Thanks for the information Carolina Women and MilesBFree

Old 04-24-2009, 12:08 AM

21 posts, read 49,044 times
Huh? Everyone has been telling me that there isn't a HS option in York County since I got here. Weird since I've had phone and DSL service with Bell South (AT&T - Phone service, AT&T U-verse, DIRECTV, Wireless, DSL Internet) ...

Anyways... Comporium isn't that bad. I have my digital cable with an HD-DVR and HSI for about $85 a month and it's been great. I used to have ComCast in Minneapolis and that was ... sigh... you don't want ComCast. It's also really weird that everyone is excited for TW to come in. Why? Time Warner will literally gough you to death with their unannounced rate hikes and policy changes. Imagine paying upwards of $120 a month for Roadrunner and BASIC digital cable... yeah... been there, done that.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User One View Post
Anyways... Comporium isn't that bad. I have my digital cable with an HD-DVR and HSI for about $85 a month and it's been great. I used to have ComCast in Minneapolis and that was ... sigh... you don't want ComCast. It's also really weird that everyone is excited for TW to come in. Why? Time Warner will literally gough you to death with their unannounced rate hikes and policy changes. Imagine paying upwards of $120 a month for Roadrunner and BASIC digital cable... yeah... been there, done that.

10-07-2008, 07:24 PM
User One
16 posts, read 1,572 times

I had to join this forum after reading about Comporium. Just moved to the Lake Wylie area about 3 weeks ago and I've been fuming with Comporium since they installed it. Shoddy service with an absolute horrid DVD system! I went through the same "upgrade" as the poster. I was telling my wife that it appears that we had a few new HD channels and that the service was finally paying off. Then... I turn on my cable box and it said "Your cable has been disconnected". WTF? I checked the cables... turned the boxes off and on... nothing. Called tech support... they gave me the ID10T answer of "Unplug your box and let it sit for an hour"... I did that... still nothing. I called back and they told me that they would be sending someone out today to fix it. No one ever called. I get home and there's a note on my door... I can't wait for TWC... sad. Sadness because I've had them when I lived in MN and it was horrible and expensive then...

You need to make up your mind ... in one post Comporium is shoddy service and you can't wait for TWC ...

Old 04-28-2009, 05:49 PM

5 posts, read 19,720 times
Wherever Comporium has their deathgrip, you won't find any other highspeed offerings. I haven't had a bad time with comporium, but it's a monopoly, and I like competition. The problem is, new companies have a hard time penetrating comporium's market, because comporium owns all the lines. Meaning, for TWC for example, they'd have to lay all of their own lines. Comporium won't rent theirs out (it'd be bad business for them )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties