Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 09:14 AM

5 posts, read 12,876 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me if these jobs are available? We are in Indiana and have 3 children. My husband has worked in concrete manuf. for a long time. He is currently laid off from work Nov.- Mar. Last year he got laid of as well. Never had that happened before in the 14 years he has worked there. I have also been laid off since Nov.4th. I know the market is bad but we are just trying to look at our options. He has a class B cdl license and can operate heavy equipment, dozer, grader backhoe, etc. He has also worked as an ironworker and plumbers helper in the past. We both have worked in a warehouse/manuf. as well. I have worked as a secretary, acct. pay/rec. and bookkeeper for 15 years. Also in a a grocery store and I have limited restaurant experience. Again I know the market is really terrible but we have got to try to keep looking. Thanks so much for any advice you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 11:20 AM

259 posts, read 800,184 times
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the economy in this county (York) is in bad shape.

When we arrived here over two years ago, the construction business was booming. It seems to be at a standstill right now. We built a new home and everyone involved in the build are down to almost no business. Layoffs in construction are high and sub-contractors have almost no work.

I also see restaurants closing. They are mostly the smaller non-chain type. The big chains seem to be doing fine.

This is a great place to live but not if both of you must find work. Our county unemployment is probably around 12 - 14%. I was shocked to see our city (Rock Hill) listed at 23% unemployment!!

If anyone disagrees with my assessment, I hope they respond here.

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties