Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:28 PM

18 posts, read 79,527 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
House is sold and ready to move.

I am thinking of moving to Rock hill.
I live in Connecticut now, in the country, with very little if any crime.
(Not like Bridgeport or Hartford CT.)
Most people leave their doors unlocked around here. (not that I do)
I found a house on the internet on Neely Store RD Rock Hill, SC, near Hillside DR.
Does anyone here know the area, and have any info on crime, and if it is an area like where I live now. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 10:51 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,971,298 times
Neely's Store Road starts in the Leslie area but it goes all the way out to the Catawba Indian Reservation. My daughter lives out that way off of Reservation Road (Hillside is left off Neely's Store Rd and Reservation Rd is about a block away to the right.)

She has never had any problems in the area and has lived there five years. But you do have to lock your door around here ... long ago we didn't but those days are gone.

You need to visit and look over the area. We have plenty of rural safe communities that would meet your needs and you will love the weather, compared to CT.

The only thing that would bother me about that area, right now the York County Council and Lancaster County Council both are pushing to extend Dave Lyle Blvd all the way to Hwy 521 ... millions of dollars and just coincidentially a large developer had purchased land out there and wants to build hundreds of homes.

Here is the article:

Council OK's Dave Lyle Study

Dave Lyle Blvd is near Neely's Store Road, my daughter uses Dave Lyle to drive home. Of course the road may never happen, but the development company has purchased land to build. You can google map Dave Lyle Blvd and see the proximity to Neely's Store Rd and Hillside. We have two Hillside Drives in Rock Hill so watch for that.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:48 AM

CarolinaWoman,
Thank you so much for your help.
My closing is July 31 and I have been looking since March.
Every time I find a house I think I might like, some one buys it

You said "We have plenty of rural safe communities that would meet your need"

Could you help me out, and point out some good areas for me, that are rural and safe.

Thanks again,

Anthony

Old 06-02-2009, 07:33 PM

Do you have children in school, are you concerned with a school district?

Do you need to be near Charlotte Airport?

If you need a job ... don't move here without a job. We are not exactly an employment mecca right now.

Leslie is a nice area, but I would just stay away from the future Dave Lyle Ext where the developer has purchased all that land.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:31 PM

Yes I do Have children (that is why I want a safe nice area) but I home school, and hopefully will be able to continue in SC.
No need to be near airport.
Run a home business, with some contacts in North and SC.
When you say Leslie is a nice area. Where is Leslie, is it a town.
Thanks once again,
Anthony

Old 06-03-2009, 01:16 AM

Neely's Store Road starts in Lesslie and ends in the Catawba Reservation.

Google Map Lesslie Hwy Rock Hill SC , Shandon Development is off of Neely's Store Road. This is an older housing development with large lots. Are you looking for a few acres? Stugis Estates, Hallmark Estates are all older developments. None of these are cookie cutter homes. I am not familiar with that side of town as we live North/West of Rock Hill outside of the little community of Newport.

If you google map Newport this is a good side of town too. We have plenty of new developments out here. It just depends if you want in a housing development or find a home with a little bit of land. Rawlinson Acres is off of Rawlinson Road that a good development.

All of the places I have listed are good neighborhoods and safe neighborhoods. I sent you a Direct Message with the name of someone that can help you. He can provide more info than me. I am not familiar with all the new developments.

Home Schooling is allowed here and the home schooling parents joined together to provide music lessons, field trips and other activities to provide their children with interaction with other kids. My niece has home schooled 4 sons and one daughter. WHEW! Daughter has graduated and is in college and oldest son graduates this year.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:27 AM

Thanks once again.
Do you know anything about Rolling Ridge RD,rock hill, Country Club Estates.
Found a house there thats for sale.
BTW: I have been working with a real estate agent for a while. Nice guy, but doesn't seem to know that much about certain areas.

Thanks,
Anthony

Old 06-05-2009, 10:26 AM

Also, maybe you or someone could let me know about this location also.

W Bedford Dr
Rock Hill, SC 2973

Is it a good safe area.
It seems kinda close to the city and the airport.

Thanks for any and all help in advance.

Anthony

Old 06-06-2009, 07:31 PM

794 posts, read 1,861,943 times
Anthony,

I really think your best bet is to rent a home in a nice area and see if you like it first. There are so many variables no one can tell you what is perfect for you and your family. If you don't like the area, you can let your lease expire and try another more favorable area relatively risk free.

Al

Old 06-06-2009, 07:32 PM

Anthony, W. Bedford I don't know anything about. I did google map it and it is a dead-end road with a cul-de-sac, so you wouldn't be bothered with any through traffic.

It's not near the airport. You definitely don't want near the Rock Hill Airport, Bryant Airfield. The City of RH and the York County Council has approved an expansion and airport overlay which will allow private, corporate, and military jets to land and take-off but not commercial airlines. So there will be excessive noise in that area. Your realtor should be able to tell you if Bedford is in the 'noise zones.' Maps have been published indicating the areas that will be affected. If your realtor doesn't know, fire him, you need another realtor that can help you and knows the areas.

The Rock Hill Country Club has some nice homes and it is a safe area. At one time only the rich of Rock Hill lived in the Country Club. If you join the club, they have a swimming pool, golf course, and the last time we had dinner there the food was good.

Rock Hill Country Club

I would prefer the Rolling Ridge over the Bedford as Bedford is near two busy roads Herlong and Heckle Blvd. You enter Bedford via Herlong.

You are looking at two homes here that are in the city limits of Rock Hill. Living in the city limits you will be taxed annually by the county and the city on your home and cars, boats, motorcycles, recreational vehicles (whatever you may have.)

Some people prefer living in the city limits for the trash collection, fire protection. But county residents have excellent volunteer fire departments with excellent response times and there is private companies that will provide garbage pick-up if one is to lazy or unable to throw their bag of trash in their vehicle and drop it off at one of the many manned collection centers located conveniently all over the county. Ask your realtor about the county and city tax system.

You really need to visit the area and spend a few days looking around. Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties