Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 03:43 PM

6 posts, read 18,492 times

Advertisements

ok. so im 19 years old and moving from Vermont to North Carolina. i am ecstatic. i have been down there about 4-5 times and every time, i fall more in love with the state. HOWEVER. I am the only one moving from my family ( i live at home still) and though things seem to be falling together as far as the house and the job prospects go, i have no idea where to start! im planning on leaving in about 2 months. what do i need to do?! how do i start?! i need to find a new insurance company, a new doctor, a new dentist... etc. I am going to be getting a job when i get there through connections... who i am also renting a room from these friends. HELP! what do i need to get in order as far as logistics?! insurance, bank accounts, everything....... i just need ideas and tips from those who have moved in the past......

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 09:39 PM

259 posts, read 797,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah222 View Post
ok. so im 19 years old and moving from Vermont to North Carolina. i am ecstatic. i have been down there about 4-5 times and every time, i fall more in love with the state. HOWEVER. I am the only one moving from my family ( i live at home still) and though things seem to be falling together as far as the house and the job prospects go, i have no idea where to start! im planning on leaving in about 2 months. what do i need to do?! how do i start?! i need to find a new insurance company, a new doctor, a new dentist... etc. I am going to be getting a job when i get there through connections... who i am also renting a room from these friends. HELP! what do i need to get in order as far as logistics?! insurance, bank accounts, everything....... i just need ideas and tips from those who have moved in the past......

thank you
Wow... you have a lot of GOOD questions. First of all, this forum was extremely helpful to me when I started planning to move over two years ago. There are a lot of people on here who can help you.

I guess I started by reading through much of the moving issues I saw in the titles of the forum. First, you are on the South Carolina forum for York and Lancaster counties, which is just south of Charlotte. So, if you aren't already looking through the Charlotte forum, do so. Depending on where you find work and where you are planning to love, this forum may be good for you. It is generally less expensive to live in South Carolina than North Carolina. I can explain more another time, but you should find some of the answers through the SEARCH section in the menu bar.

As for finding new doctors, dentists, etc., I looked on the internet based on where I was going to live. I also asked people I met who had lived here... once I got here.

Insurance is a tricky issue. Health insurance may come through your job. Car insurance ... try the company you are already with.

You can open a bank account before you move down if you have your address available. I called Wachovia. Two other big banks here are Bank of America and BB&T.

It is very important that you bring a lot of documentation of your identity to get a license to drive. In either state, look up the state department of vehicles and their web sites have good information about proof of identity and other documentation you might need.

I can't even begin to answer all of your questions here, but the people you are living with should be able to help a bit and the rest of your info for now can come from the bunch of us who have "been there...done that"!

It was fairly stressful for us to move, but we are older and had accumulated too much stuff! Your move should be a lot easier!!

Best of luck and keep asking questions on here. You will get help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties