U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 05:40 PM

3,402 posts, read 5,372,344 times

Advertisements

Does the City of Rock Hill have a ordinance regarding dogs that bark for hours and hours throughout the day.

We do an HOA .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 06:43 PM

174 posts, read 468,440 times
Chapter 6
ARTICLE II. PETS

Sec. 6-36. Barking or howling dogs.
No person shall keep or have within the city a dog that habitually or repeatedly barks or howls continuously in such manner or to such extent that it is a public nuisance.

(Code 1981, § 6-25)

Cross references: Noise generally, § 20-161 et seq.

Here's the whole thing...on line!
http://www.municode.com/resources/ga...d=10044&sid=40

Old 07-05-2009, 07:34 PM

This is very quiet neighborhood.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:30 PM

16 posts, read 34,196 times
When I lived in RH, my sister brought over a dog when she spent the night, had the dog on the back porch. I am hearing impaired, but apparently it barked, as a police officer knocked on my door at 10PM and told us if we didn't do something with the dog we would receive a HUGE fine.

I hope you will ask the owners of the offending dog to do something first, wish our neighbor had extended that courtesy before I was embarrassed by the police showing up at my door.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:56 AM

That's interesting, because three doors down is a RH policeman. I guess he is working during those hours.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:32 AM

704 posts, read 1,937,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Does the City of Rock Hill have a ordinance regarding dogs that bark for hours and hours throughout the day.

We do an HOA .
I will be in a neighborhood about 2 miles from City Hall, no HOA in these neighborhoods.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:55 PM

Someone said contact the ASPCA. York County has a humane society.
I was warned by an article, that they will refer you, instead of helping, and sure enough:

Dear Sir:
I was told to contact the ASPCA about barking dogs that disturb neighbors.
They called it disturbing the peace, neighbor abuse, and suggested the authorities can give citations and impound the animals.
What assistance can your organization offer to the victims of the chronic barking?
Thanks.

Dear Mr.
You will need to call York County Animal Control at 803 628-3190 as they have legal authority in these situations.

...........I suspect that will be just like the situation in my mobile home park with stray cats that have babies all the time as well as neighbors who let their cats have babies. Outside dogs are not allowed. And of course, inside dogs are "strangely" kept quiet by their owners.
The animal control says we can set traps in our yard and if we catch one, then we can take it to the pound.
The dogs that will be barking at my new home, are not loose but in a cage near the corner of 3 lots and only 20 feet from my bedroom window. I can not use York County animal control unless the animals are on my lot.
I've tried calling the police over loud music and they don't help, so what help will they be for barking dogs? The local ordinance says no noise that can be heard within 30 feet between 11pm and 7am.
So, if my neighbors dogs are silent during that time, at least I can sleep. They may have trained themselves to bark between 7:01 am and 10:59 pm. I would not doubt it at all.

It would seem:
1. the dogs would get tired of barking.
2. the owners would get tired of hearing them barking.
3. the dogs would sleep for many hours.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:41 PM

595 posts, read 1,506,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post

We do an HOA .
Be sure to talk to the owner of the dog first. They might not realize that their dog is causing problems.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulamb View Post
Chapter 6
ARTICLE II. PETS

Sec. 6-36. Barking or howling dogs.
No person shall keep or have within the city a dog that habitually or repeatedly barks or howls continuously in such manner or to such extent that it is a public nuisance.

(Code 1981, § 6-25)

Cross references: Noise generally, § 20-161 et seq.

Here's the whole thing...on line!
Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more
I am seeing 20-161 and 20-162, but not seeing a 6-25 and in Chapter 6, I see no mention of barking or howling dogs. Maybe I am needing glasses, if so, I apoligize. I do see that chapter was revised in August 2009.
If you can lead my blind eyes to "barking and howling dogs"....thanks.

I can read.........

"No person shall keep or have within the city a dog that habitually or repeatedly barks or howls continuously in such manner or to such extent that it is a public nuisance."

.......as being possibly hard to enforce.

habitually, and repeatedly, and howls continously, and public nuisance all must be clearly defined.
On an anti-barking forum it mentioned some cities have a rule that at least 2 persons would have to complain.
My bedroom windows are within 25 feet of two caged dogs and one chained dog.
No one else, except their owners, is within 100 feet of the dogs in any direction, so if I need to find someone else who has an issue with the barking, I may be all alone.

Unfortunately, my bedrooms are on the wrong end of my house.

The device you can buy, sends out a sound that the dogs do not like. It is triggered by their barking. It says it does not work on 100% of dogs. I'd think the frequency of a great dane's bark and a chihauhau's bark would be very different and could confuse the device.

These 3 dogs are small, but small can be very noisy.
I can see why both owners have their dogs as close to the edge of their own property as they can. They work during the day and don't have to listen to them. I am disabled and home all day. I have trouble sleeping without barking. I can not fall asleep in a moving vehicle, etc. I travelled alot over 30 years, as a professional putter and everyone shared rooms together. We travelled by car, plane, whatever. It amazed me how all the others could fall asleep in 5 minutes in a moving car, a plane, or in the hotel with the TV on. They liked to leave the TV on and fall asleep to it. I had to lie there awake and wait until they were asleep, no matter the hour, and get up and turn the TV off. My sleep problems are no one else's problem, but I have never lived in a place where outside dogs were allowed, so 3 dogs within 25 feet of my bedroom window is a "first in a lifetime event". It takes me a good 2-3 hours to fall asleep with zero noise. I am maybe 1/4 mile from Dave Lyle Blvd. and can hear some of the traffic and another 1/4 on the other side of Dave Lyle is a railroad track and trains go by every few hours. These noises are 100% impossible to aleviate.

I hope you can lead the blind to the barking & howling dogs in chapter 6.
I hope that was not removed in August 2009.

Thanks.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:22 PM

12,341 posts, read 17,216,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancastermom83 View Post
When I lived in RH, my sister brought over a dog when she spent the night, had the dog on the back porch. I am hearing impaired, but apparently it barked, as a police officer knocked on my door at 10PM and told us if we didn't do something with the dog we would receive a HUGE fine.

I hope you will ask the owners of the offending dog to do something first, wish our neighbor had extended that courtesy before I was embarrassed by the police showing up at my door.
It looks like the police can write a citation from 0 to $500.
I'm aware of a case, where the fine was over $300.
5 outside restrained dogs inside the city limits of RH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties