Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:35 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,642 times

Advertisements

Any information on Fort Mill? I have read good and bad. Anyone live there or visit? How are the schools, crime, taxes, things for teenagers?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2006, 05:01 PM

225 posts, read 689,720 times
Default Re: Fort Mill

I just moved here a week ago, and must say it is everything I expected and more. Lots of people on this forum helped me out and hope I can return the favor. Fort Mill is a fast growing and developing city, the school district is very highly regraded and the location is definitely a plus. Close enough to Charlotte and Macklenburg County, but far enough to reflect a different and quite feel. Lots of major stores opening in the area or within minutes travel, huge malls in nearsby Pinesville, NC. I have seen many transplants say that it lacks the major city appeal, well, that isn't entirely so. Most store and restaurants close about 9 or 10 o'clock, but Wendy's , McDonald's and Burger King stay open late (at least the drive thru). Personally, I feel that the emphasis is on small town atmoshere, with tons of friendly people, who make you feel welcomed and safe. I lived in the Big Apple for 36 years, and have had my share of big city life. Now I am looking forward to peaceful and relaxing living for me and my family. Hope I have shed some light on your question.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:29 PM

16 posts, read 40,047 times
Im anxious to see the response to this question as well. We are debating between fort mill and union county. Any help would be great.How long would it take to get into charlotte from fort mill i hear all different kinds of times.?
We leave in less then 3 weeks and still havent found a house or townhome to rent uggg!!!Thanks for any and all help.
Jennie

Old 07-11-2006, 06:30 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
Any information on Fort Mill? I have read good and bad. Anyone live there or visit? How are the schools, crime, taxes, things for teenagers?

Thanks
hey there TornadoAlley: I live in Tega Cay, SC (next to Fort Mill). Alot of our time is spent in Fort Mill..as our children attend FMSD...and also for retail and restaurants. Things for teenagers: Carowinds (includes a waterpark), Sports, YMCA (sports, swimming, middle-school mania, etc.), watersports, skateboarding/wakeboarding (there is an organized christian based group), I have heard reports of a skateboard park to open in the future, horseback riding....other options are near by in Rock Hill, Pineville NC, Charlotte (a water rapids park will be open in August). May I also suggest you do a search on this site for Fort Mill (many if these questions have been asked and answered before.....but if there is something that has not been covered I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have).

Old 07-11-2006, 06:36 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal707
I just moved here a week ago, and must say it is everything I expected and more. Lots of people on this forum helped me out and hope I can return the favor. Fort Mill is a fast growing and developing city, the school district is very highly regraded and the location is definitely a plus. Close enough to Charlotte and Macklenburg County, but far enough to reflect a different and quite feel. Lots of major stores opening in the area or within minutes travel, huge malls in nearsby Pinesville, NC. I have seen many transplants say that it lacks the major city appeal, well, that isn't entirely so. Most store and restaurants close about 9 or 10 o'clock, but Wendy's , McDonald's and Burger King stay open late (at least the drive thru). Personally, I feel that the emphasis is on small town atmoshere, with tons of friendly people, who make you feel welcomed and safe. I lived in the Big Apple for 36 years, and have had my share of big city life. Now I am looking forward to peaceful and relaxing living for me and my family. Hope I have shed some light on your question.
Hey sal707: great to hear that you are enjoying your new hometown! (got fish?)

Old 07-11-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Do you have any pictures you could email?

Thanks

Old 07-11-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboclan
Im anxious to see the response to this question as well. We are debating between fort mill and union county. Any help would be great.How long would it take to get into charlotte from fort mill i hear all different kinds of times.?
We leave in less then 3 weeks and still havent found a house or townhome to rent uggg!!!Thanks for any and all help.
Jennie
We fly out there Sept'2006!

Old 07-12-2006, 09:32 PM

7 posts, read 14,107 times
Quote:
This is exactly what we are moving to Fort Mill for. We'd rather not have the "major city appeal". The small town atmosphere is where we want to be and are headed to come Monday morning we're making the trek across this beautiful country of ours and we are all so happy to be leaving So Cal in the rearview mirror.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heading4FM
This is exactly what we are moving to Fort Mill for. We'd rather not have the "major city appeal". The small town atmosphere is where we want to be and are headed to come Monday morning we're making the trek across this beautiful country of ours and we are all so happy to be leaving So Cal in the rearview mirror.
If I only had a $1 every time someone said that

Old 07-13-2006, 01:49 AM

170 posts, read 566,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camboclan
Jennie

Hey there Jennie, we, too, are leaving in about 2 1/2 weeks. It sounds like we're sort of in the same boat. I've got it narrowed down to Fort Mill, Waxhaw area, Mooresville, or Concord. Fort Mill is at the top of my list though. But we won't know until we see it. We're going there first. And we still haven't found a rental. In one way I hate to rent, with housing $ going up by the day, but I also know we need income coming in before we can buy a house. So, not sure what to do. Do you have kids? Schools in Fort Mill start the earliest, being Aug. 9. So we need that address really quick if we end up there. My husband does commercial carpenter work, so he'll be all over Charlotte area, so I think Fort Mill would be just as close as the other towns, it doesn't sound like a bad commute to me. Good luck, let me know where you end up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties